News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The dusty pelt- a room for steampunks of a furry variety

Started by septango, June 12, 2013, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

you're right about the fox hunting. on the other hand I think this makes the fox an animal that is already in steampunk society(may it be as the decoration of ladies dresses...)
but yes. I think there's too much wolves out there too. ::) sometimes I wonder what's the real herd animal...
I don't know though. I've always thought furries and steampunks do have their similarities, though I can't quite name them (my baa'd)
Passion is like a Peatfire

Clym Angus

Well, ewe would know.

Baaaaada-boom! I'll be here all week.

Prof Marvel

Having a strong admiration for Kipling's "Jungle Books", I have always felt a particular  affinity to certain animals, as I am certain the Furries do (why else the desire to be an animal?).

As such I find myself friendly to the Fur community and a number of Furs; I could certainly see myself donning a particular fur persona if it weren't for the tremendous commitment of time, materials, and effort to do the job properly.

As Angus pointed out, the elegance of Mr Fox lends itself to this....

>I've always thought furries and steampunks do have their similarities

Perhaps it is the common desire to "reject the mundane reality and substitute our own"

>I think this makes the fox an animal that is already in steampunk society

There is after all the long running theme of Mad Scientist Experiments - the Island of Dr Moreau, for example,
not to mention Toad Hall and The Wind and The Willows ( somewhat steamy? or just another acid trip?)

> I think there's too much wolves out there too.

Many teen males wanna be rough and tough Killer Dogs, what better in their minds?  Furthermore, the Wolf Pack simulates the Teen Gang so well. (or is it the other way around ?)

In every group there is protection in the "herd" or the "pack". Sometimes it is necessary for survival;
witness our long running thread on "dealing with Chavs".

The Lone Wolf is not so common.
True Lone Wolves are seldom seen and probably one would prefer not to meet them
Spoiler: ShowHide

On the other hand , if they live to age and mature  they occasionally morph into Guard Dogs ( kept around but not
allowed near company) , then perhaps graduating into Sheep Dogs - offering protection to those far more cute but less worldly.

In my little Thought Experiment, this maturing Sheep Dog might become a Komondor - the perfect Guardian of the Flock.
He lives with the sheep, he looks like the sheep, he seems to act like the sheep, but weighing 150 pounds and with nearly
6 inch fangs they regularly fight off and kill wolves and bears. When guarding a home or compound They roam constantly at night like a silent ghost. The Cumans of Hungary say "an intruder may be allowed to enter the property guarded by a Komondor,  but he will not be allowed to come out again".

yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Caledonian

Quote from: Prof Marvel on June 27, 2015, 07:04:10 AM
Having a strong admiration for Kipling's "Jungle Books", I have always felt a particular  affinity to certain animals, as I am certain the Furries do (why else the desire to be an animal?).

As such I find myself friendly to the Fur community and a number of Furs; I could certainly see myself donning a particular fur persona if it weren't for the tremendous commitment of time, materials, and effort to do the job properly.

As Angus pointed out, the elegance of Mr Fox lends itself to this....

>I've always thought furries and steampunks do have their similarities

Perhaps it is the common desire to "reject the mundane reality and substitute our own"

>I think this makes the fox an animal that is already in steampunk society

There is after all the long running theme of Mad Scientist Experiments - the Island of Dr Moreau, for example,
not to mention Toad Hall and The Wind and The Willows ( somewhat steamy? or just another acid trip?)

> I think there's too much wolves out there too.

Many teen males wanna be rough and tough Killer Dogs, what better in their minds?  Furthermore, the Wolf Pack simulates the Teen Gang so well. (or is it the other way around ?)

In every group there is protection in the "herd" or the "pack". Sometimes it is necessary for survival;
witness our long running thread on "dealing with Chavs".

The Lone Wolf is not so common.
True Lone Wolves are seldom seen and probably one would prefer not to meet them
Spoiler: ShowHide

On the other hand , if they live to age and mature  they occasionally morph into Guard Dogs ( kept around but not
allowed near company) , then perhaps graduating into Sheep Dogs - offering protection to those far more cute but less worldly.

In my little Thought Experiment, this maturing Sheep Dog might become a Komondor - the perfect Guardian of the Flock.
He lives with the sheep, he looks like the sheep, he seems to act like the sheep, but weighing 150 pounds and with nearly
6 inch fangs they regularly fight off and kill wolves and bears. When guarding a home or compound They roam constantly at night like a silent ghost. The Cumans of Hungary say "an intruder may be allowed to enter the property guarded by a Komondor,  but he will not be allowed to come out again".

yhs
prof marvel

That's an interezting point of view, Professor.
I do feel the need to remind you that not all furries desire to be an animal. In many cases the furry merely identify with certain characteristics of animals. As for myself, I choose the Blackface sheep for a fursona because of it's Scottish heritage that fits to my interest in Celtic history, a great set of horns that's present in both sexes. this gives the race a powerful look. You just know it's not a defenseless animal, but it's not out to attack you either and I like it's colour scheme and looks are important to furry society. I do not wish to be a sheep though.
You are right that furries do often love animal characters from books like the jungle book, the fox Reijnarde, Disney's Robin Hood...etc. for the ones I've spoken too (which is a lot by now) these often are a source of inspiration.

As for your explanation for the amound of wolves, I strangely agree to that. it fits well but it must be said not only wolves but also felines, foxes and huskey dogs are very common. still mainly wolves though.

(please forgive me my mistakes in English, it's not my native language)

Caledonian

I've been thinking about this and I've made a little list of (anthro)animals I think would fare well in a steampunk society. I'll share it with you, feel free to critic me.
Owls: taking the roles of professors and alchemists. owls rock monocles.
Herons and storks: with their slender figure easily good looking in Victorian attire. could be found in upper classes
Hunting dogs: for obvious reasons?
Lizards: being cold blooded is not a problem when an entire city is steam powered. there is always a place you can go to warm up.
Horses: fitting in all classes, horses can be hard workers, but also very delicate creatures.
Ravens: often thought to be dark animals associated with death. could come from the darker sides of society.
Rats and Mice: likely to arise in cities. representing street scum, for example. maybe also the type if people boarding ships illegally.

for those interested in pictures to illustrate:
Horse: http://d.facdn.net/art/orobas/1351373604/1351373604.orobas_steamhorse.png
Owl: http://t.facdn.net/12889527@400-1393990585.jpg
rat: http://t.facdn.net/5146888@400-1295900682.jpg
lizard: http://t.facdn.net/12012484@400-1383853485.jpg
raven: http://d.facdn.net/art/moonmochi/1332375016/1332375016.moonmochi_img.jpg
dog: http://t.facdn.net/11126613@400-1374228081.jpg

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Caledonian

Quote from: MWBailey on July 04, 2015, 02:57:06 AM
Squid? (Chthuloid)

those too, I suppose. but I yet have to see the first anthromorphic squid that wasn't used for sexual purposes only.
(maybe I should draw one myself?)

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Caledonian on July 04, 2015, 07:32:31 AM
Squid? (Chthuloid)

those too, I suppose. but I yet have to see the first anthromorphic squid that wasn't used for sexual purposes only.

I daresay this one isn't:

yhs
prof marvel

Caledonian

Quote from: Prof Marvel on July 05, 2015, 01:26:20 AM
Squid? (Chthuloid)

yhs
prof marvel

HOW COULD I FORGET!?

MWBailey

Quote from: Prof Marvel on July 05, 2015, 01:26:20 AM
Squid? (Chthuloid)

Grandpa?

yhs
prof marvel
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Caledonian

I had lost this tread for some reason.
Mister Bailey, I believe something went wrong

Caledonian

Prof Marvel

Heavens, Well Done!

Red and Silver Fox in Her Majesty's Service in some capacity?

yhs
prof marvel

CPT_J_Percell

Captain James "Greywolf" Purcell reporting it!
As a Moderator I really should pay more attention to the things posted here but alas having been killed 3 time and living for over 160 years, this Grey furred two tailed Shadow Kitsune tends to miss things!
Who threw that!

Anyone looking forward to Halloween?
For me it means that the "No Dogs Allowed" sign on the doors of British pubs can be ignored.

Yours slightly grumpy
Greywolf, Deathwolf, time wolf (t,t,t,time wolf )
Dammit now I got this stuck in my head

'Time Warp' Scene w/ Lyrics | The Rocky Horror Picture Show
I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com

Caledonian

Quote from: CPT_J_Percell on October 14, 2015, 06:57:52 PM
Captain James "Greywolf" Purcell reporting it!
As a Moderator I really should pay more attention to the things posted here but alas having been killed 3 time and living for over 160 years, this Grey furred two tailed Shadow Kitsune tends to miss things!
Who threw that!

Anyone looking forward to Halloween?
For me it means that the "No Dogs Allowed" sign on the doors of British pubs can be ignored.

Yours slightly grumpy
Greywolf, Deathwolf, time wolf (t,t,t,time wolf )
Dammit now I got this stuck in my head

Hello captain greywool-f!
It's Lord Dalzell C. Overshear on this side!

How's it going? Doing anything beside missing things?

For Halloween...i don't think much... we really don't celebrate Halloween in the Netherlands.
Too baa-d. :(

Clym Angus

I see clouds gathering much like my b***s they are dark, heavy and pendulous. (it's a shout back. The live show are full of them). It's a rocky thing. :D

It's confusing, fur is fleeting....
Normality. Takes it's toll.

But listen closely....

Not for very much longer.

The animal. Takes control.
I remember doing the fur warp.

Drinking those moments when
The hair coat would hit me.

And the fuzz would be calling.

Lets do the fur warp again.....

It's just a growl to the left.... Then a howl to the right.
With your paws on your hips. Then clutch your haunches in tight.
But it's the baying thrust, that drives the scritch-lust insane.....

Lets do the fur warp again.....

Prof Marvel

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor
Aaoooooo!
Werewolves of London!

CPT_J_Percell

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!

Caledonian

Timeless Miracle-Curse of the Werewolf

wait what?
oh nevermind. I´m just a sheep...sheep in wolf's clothing?

don't eat me please!

Miranda.T

Quote from: Caledonian on October 15, 2015, 07:01:24 AM

wait what?

don't eat me please!

You may wish to add some silver tips to those horns, just to keep the peace you understand. 'You lot keep the teeth and claws over there and I'll keep the sharp silver spiky things over here and we'll all get on just fine' sort of thing.

Funny coincidence for me in the turn of the conversation here; I've just watched The Company of Wolves for the first time in years...

Yours,
Miranda.

Caledonian

Quote from: Miranda.T on October 15, 2015, 05:21:54 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on October 15, 2015, 07:01:24 AM

wait what?

don't eat me please!

You may wish to add some silver tips to those horns, just to keep the peace you understand. 'You lot keep the teeth and claws over there and I'll keep the sharp silver spiky things over here and we'll all get on just fine' sort of thing.

Funny coincidence for me in the turn of the conversation here; I've just watched The Company of Wolves for the first time in years...

Yours,
Miranda.

Adding the silver to the design.

A very furry coincidence indeed!

CPT_J_Percell

Would love a fursuit but alas using stilts for more accurate proportions would reduce my pack rank if I had to use a walking staff

Timeless Miracle-Return of the Werewolf

BTW never heard of Timeless Miracle, only just learned about PowerWolf

Caledonian

Aww a pack member!
I'm a strong independent ram that doesn't need a herd.
i-it's not like they kicked me out or something!
(I may be female, my sona is male)

I don't have the money for a suit...
Or the skills...

CPT_J_Percell

If it wasn't for the UK gun and knife laws, I would collect a human version of my avater!
Oh wait all I need tis the wig and makeup (and a fit body )