News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Weird science: Water forms floating bridges

Started by Prof. Brockworth, September 30, 2007, 11:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Brockworth

Water forms floating 'bridge' when exposed to high voltage - Physorg

"When exposed to a high-voltage electric field, water in two beakers climbs out of the beakers and crosses empty space to meet, forming the water bridge. The liquid bridge, hovering in space, appears to the human eye to defy gravity."

Now, does anybody thing that was a Russian water tentacle?
Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...

Sir Theodore Catchpole

cool very cool
i wonder if you can get it to be very big?

Maximum Humphries

gosh i want to see a video of this...

(nice abyss reference by the way)
"Ever forward, my darling wind..."

Andy_W

AFGNCAAP

You have me imagining new kinds of sea monsters, sir... :o
"An eruption!" I said. "We're in the chimney of an active volcano?"
"I think so," said the professor smiling, "and that's the best thing that could happen to us!"
-Journey to the Center of the Earth

"The way to my heart is through my chest, with a scalpel and a bone saw."
-Lady Anne

Doctor When

I thought this video, linkes from the above supercooling one, was delightfully steampunk.
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!

Prof. Brockworth

Not to mention awesome modelling!  Loving that supercooled water too.

Saphyra

Quote from: Dohickey on October 01, 2007, 12:36:57 AM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DpiUZI_3o8s

Super cooled water.

I never get bored of seeing this experiment.

Oh and here I thought it was just something that occurred when one took a can of soda from a very cold cooler. Liquid until you pop the top, then gushing slush.
"And here for the first time in my life I saw my beloved Mississippi River, dry in the summer haze, low water, with its big rank smell like the raw body of America itself." Jack Kerouac ~ 'On the Road'

Oh how I long to return to my Mighty Mississippi River.

Atterton

No, the cola thing is just because the CO2 pressure above the liquid decreases as you open the can. There is no phase change involved.
Apparently though, ketchup is solid untill you give it a smack, then it turns liquid. Hence why those Heinz bottles end up drowning your spaghetti.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Prof. Brockworth

Saphyra

Quote from: Atterton on October 01, 2007, 09:10:34 PM
No, the cola thing is just because the CO2 pressure above the liquid decreases as you open the can. There is no phase change involved.
Apparently though, ketchup is solid untill you give it a smack, then it turns liquid. Hence why those Heinz bottles end up drowning your spaghetti.

Ahh, thanks for the info. Guess who wasn't paying attention in science class?

And ketchup. On your spaghetti?
"And here for the first time in my life I saw my beloved Mississippi River, dry in the summer haze, low water, with its big rank smell like the raw body of America itself." Jack Kerouac ~ 'On the Road'

Oh how I long to return to my Mighty Mississippi River.

Offlogic

HST: Gonzo but not forgotten