News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events

Started by SteamBlast Mary, December 02, 2013, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubreay Fallowfield

Bumped into a fellow steampunker the other day who told me about
The Black Country Living Museum "Red by Night"
Saturday 17th May 2014 7pm - 10.30pm.

Prices
Adult £7.95
Concession (Seniors 60+, students with NUS, jobseekers) £6.35
Young People (5-16 years) £3.95
Children (0-4) Free

PLUS £3 per car at the car park

I tried to organise a group trip there BUT....
They don't do group discounts for 'special events' plus tickets have to be purchased in advance
So I'm afraid if you want to go you'll have to do it yourself I'm afraid >:(
Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Madam Takara

Quote from: Aubreay Fallowfield on April 24, 2014, 11:48:27 AM
Bumped into a fellow steampunker the other day who told me about
The Black Country Living Museum "Red by Night"
Saturday 17th May 2014 7pm - 10.30pm.

Prices
Adult £7.95
Concession (Seniors 60+, students with NUS, jobseekers) £6.35
Young People (5-16 years) £3.95
Children (0-4) Free

PLUS £3 per car at the car park

I tried to organise a group trip there BUT....
They don't do group discounts for 'special events' plus tickets have to be purchased in advance
So I'm afraid if you want to go you'll have to do it yourself I'm afraid >:(

Hmm maybe but I'm quite low on money.....its a student's life :(
Medicate with tea ❤️

Aubreay Fallowfield

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Orndorff

Another event, recently organised, which will be at The Griffin, Dudley on 20th July is the Black Country Steam-O-Rama and will feature music from BB Black Dog and Crimson Clocks.

More details at https://www.facebook.com/events/272155002966047/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular
www.facebook.com/crimsonclocks
https://crimsonclocks.bandcamp.com/
www.reverbnation.com/crimsonclocks
www.crimsonclocks.com

The Governess

I'm not going to make Winterbourne House on Sat, I'm afraid - Hopefully there'll be another Winterbourne house trip at some point, as I've not seen it for several years!

I will be at The Commandery both days with books and a 'The Hobbit: Steampunk'd' workshop on the Monday, if anyone is about...   please come and say hello!

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

James Harrison

Saturday, of course, is the Winterbourne visit. 

I'm planning to catch the 10.23 Birmingham New Street- University train, should anyone wish to meet up at New Street station.  I'll be at University station for 10.30AM, should anyone want to meet there.  I understand that the House is about 10 minutes' walk from the station and that it does not open until 11AM; hence I/we can wait at the station for a little while for anyone who wants to meet who is running a little late. 

Over the Bank Holiday Weekend the House is hosting a Garden Party, so I suggest holding a picnic there (weather permitting of course, though it does look hopeful for the Saturday after a chilly start).

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Prof. Comberthwaite

I will be at the Commandery on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing people there.
Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist

Winterbourne Gunner

Cant make Winterbourne Gardens now but will be at the Commandery on Sunday.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."

Never mind the Cogs

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Madam Takara

Ummmm is anybody else planning on getting the bus today? I'm going to get lost, I know it! D:
Medicate with tea ❤️

Madam Takara

OK, I will try to be there but if I can't find the bus stop, I'm going home.
See you all there perhaps :)
Medicate with tea ❤️

Esme Moore

That was an absolutely splendid day out! Nice to see some faces new to me, as well as being re-aquainted with a couple of folk that I;d only met once or twice before, plus, of course, good to see old friends again!  I think there were eight of us in total, and we punknic'd, and wandered friendly as a crowd around the flowered vales and ponds - or something! - before most of us had a look around the house, then took tea, tried our hand at croquet, and watched the foxtrot dance class, then finally ice cream and home.

A very great shame that we didn't see you there, Madam Takra; if another trip to Winterbourne Gardens is planned at some point, I should be pleased to wait for you at the bus stop by the University, if that would help?

Madam Takara

Quote from: Esme Moore on May 03, 2014, 03:36:34 PM
That was an absolutely splendid day out! Nice to see some faces new to me, as well as being re-aquainted with a couple of folk that I;d only met once or twice before, plus, of course, good to see old friends again!  I think there were eight of us in total, and we punknic'd, and wandered friendly as a crowd around the flowered vales and ponds - or something! - before most of us had a look around the house, then took tea, tried our hand at croquet, and watched the foxtrot dance class, then finally ice cream and home.

A very great shame that we didn't see you there, Madam Takra; if another trip to Winterbourne Gardens is planned at some point, I should be pleased to wait for you at the bus stop by the University, if that would help?

Glad to hear it went well, you had lovely weather for it! Sorry I couldn't make it. I'll hopefully be at Tutbury Castle though! :)
Thanks, that would be great, though I might try and get a lift from dad next time to avoid embarrassing displays of my own dopyness! :) Funny thing really, I got into Birmingham and lost a whole bus! Shame my dear 'navigator' couldn't come or else I would have found it! XD
Medicate with tea ❤️

James Harrison

It was outstanding I have to say.   A shame you couldn't join us Madam T, we had a great time.  Maybe these photos (which I thought I had lost- d**n phone began playing up, again) shall suffice until we get chance to go again?

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/masgtai/library/Winterbourne%20House%20and%20Garden
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madam Takara

Tally ho,
I'm planning to go to the commandary on monday, make up for today's loss ;)
I've never been before though, do you have to pay in or anything?

Love and tea
Madam T
Medicate with tea ❤️

James Harrison

If you're a council tax payer in Worcester it's free.  If you're from outside the city it's about £5 to get in. 

Prof. Comberthwaite

Nice day at The Commandery in Worcester today. Here is a link to a few photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oopusx931j4h8fg/qVaInpKEDa
Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist

Kevin C Cooper Esq

It was a cracking day at Winterbourne house, nice of them to lay on a garden party for us! Shame you missed out Madam Takara looking forward to seeing you at the Commandery. Nice to see you today Prof, nice photo's.
Lovely to see you again Esme. Hope you're still buoyant of spirit.

James Harrison

Something we were talking about yesterday was the possibility this year of travelling to Stratford on a Sunday on the Shakespeare Express.  It runs between late July and early September and because for those of us who have to travel into Birmingham it leaves too early for public transport into the city to be of any use I think we would need to decide on a date fairly early so as to be able to book overnight hotels for the Saturday so as to be at Snow Hill for 10AM on the day of the excursion. 

Never mind the Cogs

SHAKESPEAR EXPRESS IS GO.....

( any sunday at all will do for me )
If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Madam Takara

Quote from: James Harrison on May 04, 2014, 07:51:17 PM
Something we were talking about yesterday was the possibility this year of travelling to Stratford on a Sunday on the Shakespeare Express.  It runs between late July and early September and because for those of us who have to travel into Birmingham it leaves too early for public transport into the city to be of any use I think we would need to decide on a date fairly early so as to be able to book overnight hotels for the Saturday so as to be at Snow Hill for 10AM on the day of the excursion. 

That sounds like a fine idea!
Medicate with tea ❤️

Madam Takara

Quote from: James Harrison on May 04, 2014, 09:00:13 AM
If you're a council tax payer in Worcester it's free.  If you're from outside the city it's about £5 to get in. 

Thank you :) I will be there then.

Love and tea,
Madam T
Medicate with tea ❤️

Esme Moore

Quote from: Never mind the Cogs on May 04, 2014, 09:11:33 PM
SHAKESPEAR EXPRESS IS GO.....

( any sunday at all will do for me )

Likewise, I've been just missing travelling on this for years - this year I want NOT to miss it!

Esme Moore

Anyone for Croquet one Saturday?

Whilst at Winterbourne Gardens, members of the Edgbaston Croquet Club had a pitch set up to enable members of the public to have a go at the game. I remarked that the other year I'd tried to interest folk in the possibility of a group visit to the ECC one weekend, but that it hadn't quite come together at that time. Three or four of our party at Winterbourne Gardens expressed an interest in such a visit were one to be arranged now.  Now, the Club is visitable on Wednesday or Saturday afternoons, but I suspect that a Saturday would be easiest for most of us.

What I'd like to know at this point is how many are interested in this?   I am currently unsure whether  as a group we'd need to pay a fee or not, and have emailed the Club to clarify this. I do know that there is no dress code, but one must wear flat-heeled footwear on the pitches.

If you are interested please PM me in the first instance, indicating whether you are very interested  or just somewhat interested in this. I'll post further information here as I receive it.

James Harrison

Had an excellent time at The Commandery today! Whilst there we discussed further the idea of the Shakespeare Express and the concensus was that Sunday July 27 is a date that suits everyone. More information anon when I get home...