News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events

Started by SteamBlast Mary, December 02, 2013, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubreay Fallowfield

Thinking ahead as well would anyone be interested in a picnic/promonade/game of mini golf at Bantock House Park, Wolverhampton when the weather becomes more clement?
Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Quote from: Aubreay Fallowfield on January 03, 2014, 10:59:25 AM
Thinking ahead as well would anyone be interested in a picnic/promonade/game of mini golf at Bantock House Park, Wolverhampton when the weather becomes more clement?
Definately!

The Governess

Quote from: Kevin C Cooper Esq on January 04, 2014, 12:00:00 PM
Definately!

Agreed, should the dates (and trains) be conducive...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: The Governess on January 04, 2014, 08:49:25 PM
Quote from: Kevin C Cooper Esq on January 04, 2014, 12:00:00 PM
Definately!

Agreed, should the dates (and trains) be conducive...

Seconded! Er, thirded. No, fourthed!

Quote from: James Harrison on January 01, 2014, 12:03:47 PM
Excellent.  How does the May Day Weekend (May 3rd-5th) sound for everybody?

~Addendum~

I've set up a facebook event for the visit.  I've put in May 3rd as a stopgap, I can change that if it doesn't suit....

https://www.facebook.com/events/690724534294833/

It's not confirmed yet, but there was talk of moving the Steampunk at the Commandery event in Worcester to the Bank Holiday weekend (the Saturday and Sunday). Can I keep you posted as I'd love to make it along to Winterbourne House
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

SteamBlast Mary

Quick heads-up: Sunday 5th January is the Flea Market at Malvern(yippee!) and I know what a load of rummage-whores we are, always looking out for interesting things to wear or make into something. It's at the Three Counties Showground in Malvern, not easy to get to on public transport. If anyone's interested in going and needs a lift to/from the train station in Great Malvern drop me a line.
http://b2bevents.info/malvern_flea.html
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

James Harrison

Bantock House Park sounds good, assuming the trains co-operate...
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

mercian guy

Bantock House Park does indeed sound interesting.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
Carl Sagan

Aubreay Fallowfield

Right.

Just finished on a behind the scenes tour of the new Dudley Archive and I have to say it looks very good. The Library were very impressed with the response to the Steampunk Night at their Central library a few months ago and are looking to do something else hopefully a whole day based at the new Archive building.

So with a wealth of archive material here I was wondering, in a vain attempt to help the staff, what would people like to see in the way of displays if there were to be a steampunk day?

Would people be interested in Victorian era photos, architecture, industry, maps, designs etc?

Again this is only information gathering at this point as I dont think, of this time, anyone has run the idea past the staff at the Archive yet.

Steam Tease

Oooooo count me in please, it would be lovely to meet local Steampunks :)

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Quote from: Aubreay Fallowfield on January 15, 2014, 01:04:55 PM
Right.

Would people be interested in Victorian era photos, architecture, industry, maps, designs etc?

Yes!

Never mind the Cogs

as long as there is also tea and cake, any of those things .....
If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Aubreay Fallowfield

Oh tea and cake is a must. Also they loved the idea of tea duelling so I guess they'll want to do a bit more of that. Its just that they need an idea to, I suppose, placate the archive staff of the value of opening up to the steampunk community, lovely as we are.

I'll also try and see if we can get any involvement from the Black Country Living Museum (BCLM) as it might be great to let us promenade in our finery.

Please note as this will be a "council" organised thing please don't expect it to be soon. things move at a glacial pace with them.

Lady NessieAnneJolliwhip

Good Morning to everyone,

The dates for the third Steampunk at The Commandery have been confirmed as May 4th and 5th, so the first May Bank Holiday.  Also please do not rely on the website listed for the moment, due to extreme staff pressures it is not being actively updated.  Instead I suggest that you simply contact me direct on jwillis@worcestershire.gov.uk for more information, it will be simpler.

James Harrison

That would be the Sunday and the Monday, then? 

Assuming the trains are conducive I shall be attending. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Aubreay Fallowfield

I have been sent some details by the manager of Ban tock House.

Gaslight Gothic

At Walsall Museum

Every day except Mon, Sun

An exhibition with a gothic twist, exploring the darker side of the Museum's collection, with costume and fascinating and curious artefacts.  Some were given to the Museum, some were bequeathed in Wills, whilst others were bought or simply "found".
On display you will see mourning capes, tombstone stencils and taxidermy specimens, along with some rather brutal beauty implements and a curious snuff box.  Objects are loosely grouped around the themes of death, mourning, the rise of machines, crude medical practices, everyday dress and vanity.  Visitors will also be able to look for the gothic G symbol dotted around the local history gallery, where they will be able to find even more curious exhibits which the Museum keeps on permanent display.
 Gaslight Gothic is family friendly and there are a number of activities specifically designed to help families and children enjoy their visit.  Families can use our photographic studio to dress in costume inspired by steampunk fashions and photograph themselves, and children and adults alike will enjoy using our trail to make their own gothic links between the artefacts displayed within our local history gallery or to decide for themselves which items they think are weird, wonderful or scary.
Gaslight Gothic can be seen throughout Walsall Museum's Changing Face of Walsall gallery on the first floor of the Central

Lucius Baxter

oooooooooh, moving text! OH yes! Absolutely, all of the above! Oh my! I'm shaking all over in ecstatic.... Ness.
Great poo bah in Greece, this is good news.
I'm all for anything and everything. (Within reason of course)
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

Aubreay Fallowfield

went to the museum yesterday and........

to be honest it was one cabinet and a few dressing up things for children but hey ho at least they were trying :)

Lucius Baxter

Well, as long as the museum wasn't a cabinet we're alright!

Esme Moore

Certainly, provided public transport can get me there and back. And I'd love another go at croquet sometime, if we can arrange that.

Esme

Lady NessieAnneJolliwhip

Greetings Master Harrison

That would indeed be a Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday for the Third Steampunk At The Commandery event.  The event will be running 10am to 5pm both days, so hopefully a chance for you to come along. 

I have placed a separate post to generate some more interest from potential contributors both makers and traders etc. so hopefully we will have some new faces.

micheala28

Hi guys. Just to inform you of a really exciting electro swing festival taking place in Birmingham on 4th May 2014. Check out the details below :):

Hold on to your hats, Swingamajig Festival is back 4th May! Situated at Boxxed, Swingamajig is the UK's first one day urban festival dedicated to Electro Swing, bringing the sounds and styles of the 1920's up to date with a modern twist.

With four stages showcasing a range of live bands, DJs, swing dancers and circus acts, plus a Silent Cinema, Electric Hamster Racing and a diverse programme of interactive workshops, Swingamajig is bigger and better than ever!

Headliners this year include Molotov Jukebox, Electric Swing Circus and The Destroyers, plus sets from top DJs such as A.Skillz, Bobby Friction and the C@ in the H@, our most impressive line-up to date!

For more info visit www.swingamajig.co.uk

James Harrison

Quote from: micheala28 on March 04, 2014, 11:23:35 AM
Hi guys. Just to inform you of a really exciting electro swing festival taking place in Birmingham on 4th May 2014. Check out the details below :):

Hold on to your hats, Swingamajig Festival is back 4th May! Situated at Boxxed, Swingamajig is the UK's first one day urban festival dedicated to Electro Swing, bringing the sounds and styles of the 1920's up to date with a modern twist.

With four stages showcasing a range of live bands, DJs, swing dancers and circus acts, plus a Silent Cinema, Electric Hamster Racing and a diverse programme of interactive workshops, Swingamajig is bigger and better than ever!

Headliners this year include Molotov Jukebox, Electric Swing Circus and The Destroyers, plus sets from top DJs such as A.Skillz, Bobby Friction and the C@ in the H@, our most impressive line-up to date!

For more info visit www.swingamajig.co.uk

Trains permitting I'd really like to get to this!

Lucius Baxter

mercian guy

I have some Electroswing playing via Youtube now, I must say it definitely grows on you!
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
Carl Sagan

Winterbourne Gunner

New Event: Punknic at Haden Hill House April 12th 12:00pm

http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/200265/museums_and_art_gallery/11/haden_hill_house_museum_and_haden_old_hall

as suggested by Robert Oestmann and arranged on FB by Helen McTurk, all welcome.  :D
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."