News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The salon of fine arts

Started by Amalia Zeichnerin, February 08, 2014, 06:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amalia Zeichnerin

This salon is meant for your Steampunk art (drawn, painted, sketched, digitally coloured...) Feel free to post your creative artworks. Please follow the Meta-Club Rules, especially this one:

"Please keep all posts within a Safe For Work (SFW) Policy. This means is that some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. Posts may contain, some strong language and innuendo, humor, mature themes, historical and fantasy firearms of the "Victorian Era", and some historical-political themes within the context of our 19th century speculative fiction genre.  If your post contains partial (upper body) nudity or other visual elements which may not be approved for viewing within an office setting the post must be flagged Not Safe For Work (NSFW). This nudity clause is written in specifically for historical photographs and Steampunk art."

-o-o<o>o-o--o-o<o>o-o--o-o<o>o-o--o-o<o>o-o--o-o<o>o-o--o-o<o>o-o--o-o<o>o-o--o-o<o>o-o-

The salon of the fine arts can be found in a nice neighbourhood and is located in a mid1800s villa.
Both members of the Boheme and the Bourgoisie visit this place frequently to discuss and see artists and their works, new genres of art and art history. Everyone is welcome who loves art and one of the mottoes here is "L'Art pour l'art" (Art for art's sake).

Amalia Zeichnerin

I'll start with one of my own pictures, painted with acrylic paint, water colours and gloss paint. It shows a (fictitious) Steampunk ball.

Rose Inverness

What a creative and detailed work, Mme Zeichnerin! Well-done.

I shall endeavor to find something among my art works which is complete enough to share, and is also Steampunk-themed.

Also, I would hope any NSFW posts will be contained within 'spoiler' tags.... so the more sensitive among us remain unperturbed.
That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...

MWBailey

One of several I keep at home
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

LukeHogbin

I apologise for being off-topic but I misread the thread title as "The salmon of fine arts" ;D It certainly made me giggle.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Amalia Zeichnerin

Thank you, Rose Inverness for your kind words.
Mister Bailey, this is a very impressive work, a really lovely sunset! I especially like the way the sail blends into the sky.
Dear Luke Hogbin, I wonder how a "salmon of fine arts" would look like... :D 

Rory B Esq BSc

A 'salmon of fine arts' is a lost masterpiece by Salvador Dali. No photo's exist but it is said to be a watercolor painting of a fish wearing a monocle and smoking a clay pipe in the Louvre.

Back on topic...I must sort out how to upload pictures so I can put some of my work on here (influenced by 1890's posters).

Rose Inverness

Quote from: Rory B Esq BSc on September 04, 2014, 07:14:04 PM
A 'salmon of fine arts' is a lost masterpiece by Salvador Dali. No photo's exist but it is said to be a watercolor painting of a fish wearing a monocle and smoking a clay pipe in the Louvre.

Back on topic...I must sort out how to upload pictures so I can put some of my work on here (influenced by 1890's posters).

Rory, if your query is still active, I hope this can be of help. Do you have a deviant art account? Or perhaps a flickr? BG requires such image-hosting sites in order for folks to post photos. So, after uploading to the image-hosting site, copy the permanent link for the photo and paste that link within an 'image' tag... the first little icon above the comment dialog box. It will look like:

img]here is where your link goes[/img  

except with additional brackets enclosing it.

Here is one costume rendering to add to the group :) time period is 1830s.

~William Cullen Bryant

walking stick

You're obviously wanting to have more fun drawing your costume ideas.
May I recommend Character Costume Figure Drawing (Step-By-Step Drawing Methods for Theatre Costume Designers) by Huaixiang Tan. 
I have nothing to do with either the author or publisher.  I like the book because aimed at character rather than fashion and has lots advice about how to get personality into your designs as well as the basics of figure drawing.  It's not a cheap book so perhaps try it from a library before you shell out for your own copy.   

MWBailey

One of my raffled-off works, from the final Bayou City Old Time Music and Dulcimer Festival in 2013. It is now the property of the raffle winner. As with all of my Bayou City festival raffle pieces, it has a title and subject that is related to an Old-Time song, in this case Steve Hartz's rendition of The Grand Neches Belle. (Mr. Hartz may have composed the tune in the old-time style; I'm not sure about that, however).

The Neches Belle was just about the biggest and most luxurious of the Texas cotton boats of her day, that operated around East Texas' rivurine waterways (then much more navigable than today; there was once a seasonally-dependent route that extended all the way to Dallas!) Her livery colors as shown here are a matter of conjecture, on the basis of the intensities of the various shades from a period photograph of the vessel. White (or whitewash) was pretty much a standard overall hue, though I have read and heard descriptions of some Texas cotton boats colored bird egg blue, a pastel-ish version of nicotine yellow, and several gray or earth tones. White with red or black (sometimes a sooty brown) trim was pretty much standard during the latter part of the 1890s (which was the later end of the Belle's career). She survived until !897, when she reputedly sank at Logansport Louisiana, though some accounts place her end at her berth in Beaumont, Texas, where she supposedly caught fire and burned to the waterline.

--------<>-------

*Ahem* This one hangs in my bathroom at home... Not really steampunk, I suppose, though the "thundercloset" was the most common form of waste disposal facility during the steampunk era, at least in places where running water or indoor plumbing was not available.
*haarruuummmppff*...

Please pardon the white canvas backdrop around the piece. My cropping was not up to snuff that day.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Rose Inverness

Quote from: MWBailey on September 06, 2014, 01:45:54 PM
One of my raffled-off works, from the final Bayou City Old Time Music and Dulcimer Festival in 2013. It is now the property of the raffle winner. As with all of my Bayou City festival raffle pieces, it has a title and subject that is related to an Old-Time song, in this case Steve Hartz's rendition of The Grand Neches Belle. (Mr. Hartz may have composed the tune in the old-time style; I'm not sure about that, however).

Well done! :) Both beautifully painted. Interesting about the history of the paint colors, and how fun to sell a piece!

~William Cullen Bryant