News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Weekend At The Asylum, Lincoln, September 12th-14th, 2014

Started by Rockula, February 13, 2014, 11:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockula

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Sebastian Dante

Thank you sir, I was beginning to wonder whether this was going to be set up

Major Willoughby Chase

Rockula, I may end up Copy/Pasting event info in to your first post ;)

Eric T Paradigm

Surely we haven't been good enough to deserve another wonderful weekend in Lincoln yet?
Let's hope splendidness is the criteria rather than goodness, as I have seen lots of evidence of steampunk splendidness recently.
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

Clym Angus

Hmmm tempting. I would bring a joyous addition to this event with my metalwork. I fear I need another year however to build up some truely legendary stock. One doesn't want to go off half cocked, now does one? But ah! The vetting vexes me. I understand it's purpose but the thought of it reminds me of the prisoner. Submitting to the judgement of strangers I find difficult. It is a skill I have yet to master, it holds me back. Pride, double edged sword.

Dr cornelius quack

You could always just come along for the fun of it.

Which it is.

A lot of us do.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Sebastian Dante

If I may make a suggestion Mr Angus, come along for the fun of the weekend and if you want to consider selling your wares then hopefully *hint hint* the fabulous VSS will be allowing us to perform another Illicit Market for a little bit of selling on the side. This is something I'm considering in the run up to this year.

Clym Angus

Oh yes the illicit market, that worked very nicely down by the sea side. Got to ham it up a storm and win some quids into the bargain.

Flutekey

Does anyone know when the next lot of tickets for the Asylum are on sale?
Thanks

Eric T Paradigm

Quote from: Flutekey on March 17, 2014, 12:33:18 PM
Thanks

At the end of February, Tinker posted "The main release will be in March and will be advertised on the facebook groups and on the VSS websites."  So, could be in the next two weeks.
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

Rockula

Quote from: Eric T Paradigm on March 17, 2014, 08:18:19 PM
Quote from: Flutekey on March 17, 2014, 12:33:18 PM
Thanks

At the end of February, Tinker posted "The main release will be in March and will be advertised on the facebook groups and on the VSS websites."  So, could be in the next two weeks.

Yes. As you say. The last message from Tinker referred to 'the end of March' which would put it somewhere in the next 13 days.  ;D

Madasasteamfish

Bought my tickets yesterday, anyone else got any definite plans yet?
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Rockula

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on April 26, 2014, 08:30:00 AM
Bought my tickets yesterday, anyone else got any definite plans yet?

We booked our hotel the day we left it last year and bought tickets on Day 1. We always do this now. Not to be super smart but because we used to procrastinate at everything and leave it to a last minute rush.
But we won't risk doing that for The Asylum.

Doesn't mean there won't be last minute clothes decisions and a certain amount of panicky running about. That's just part of the ritual. :)

Prof. Comberthwaite

Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist

houseofhirudinea

Booked our hotel. Just hoping I have some spare cash when the Steerage tickets go on sale!

Custom made clothing and alterations requests always welcome.
http://www.hirudinea.co.uk

Cuprous Bolt AE

Okay, so the bullet has been firmly bitten and "we" are going to our first Steampunk event. Hotel booked and stuff to make. But.....a quick question. We are getting "All Day" tickets for Saturday, but are confused over the Friday evening shindigs.
"The Major's Soiree" and "What would the Major say?" both appear to be on at the same venue at the same time. Can any light be shed upon this? We need to find out before we commit to purchasing tickets.

Rockula

Quote from: Cuprous Bolt AE on May 08, 2014, 06:46:12 PM
Okay, so the bullet has been firmly bitten and "we" are going to our first Steampunk event. Hotel booked and stuff to make. But.....a quick question. We are getting "All Day" tickets for Saturday, but are confused over the Friday evening shindigs.
"The Major's Soiree" and "What would the Major say?" both appear to be on at the same venue at the same time. Can any light be shed upon this? We need to find out before we commit to purchasing tickets.

I have shared your question with the 'Welcome To The Asylum' group on Facebook. You might want to join it if you do that kind of 'social network' thing. :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/67882923495/

Rockula

Quote from: Cuprous Bolt AE on May 08, 2014, 06:46:12 PM

And here's your reply...
'The Major's Soiree' is on FRIDAY night.
'What would the Major say?' is on SATURDAY night.

So, there ya go. :)

Cuprous Bolt AE

Many thanks for that. So, that is two tickets for the Saturday and two for the Majors Soiree - booked !
Strange that we both misread the info, or has it sneakily been updated and corrected?
Never mind...see you there in September.
Regards,
                 the Newbies

Amos Farrier

Greetings all,

Was hoping to attend this year's weekend for the first time ever for my 21st!
Would anyone possibly be able to recommend any B&Bs or cheap hotels centrally (parking preferable).

Thank you all and hope to see you later this year!

Regards,
Aarron

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Amos Farrier on May 16, 2014, 02:56:35 PM
Greetings all,

Was hoping to attend this year's weekend for the first time ever for my 21st!
Would anyone possibly be able to recommend any B&Bs or cheap hotels centrally (parking preferable).

Thank you all and hope to see you later this year!

Regards,
Aarron

I've stayed at the King William before now (my only criticism was how early they stopped serving breakfast) and this year I'm booked into the City Centre Premier Inn which should still have some rooms available for a reasonable price, but be warned, you have to pay extra for food (thankfully there are plenty of cafes and restaurants which charge reasonable prices).
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Kathy_Davidson

That reminds me, I need to see if the B+B I've used that last few years is still in business. She had a for Sale sign up last year. While I wish her all the best I'm secretly hoping no one's bought it yet so my friends ans I can still stay with her.
There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.

Dr Vincent Swann

Well after a very long absence from the board I have finally dragged my brain from the foggy world of FB 'communication' back to the much more direct and hopefully effective world of this forum. Now with my sin made public, like all good friends would, we can speak no more of it and move forward.

A couple of VSS bits that were put on the other place and not on here.

Stewards - As usual we need  a huge number of people to help make Asylum work. In exchange for 5/6 hours 'work' (it's more fun than work) we will refund your weekend wristband cost.  There is no pressure to stewarding it is mainly wristband checking and greeting/directing with the occasional room reset thrown in.  It is also a great way for new comers to meet a lot of people and of course there is always a VSS member near by if something odd happens. the sign up form is here http://goo.gl/MejnxD

Fashion Gala - In a change to previous years we have the venue all night, so rather than being 'Lady Elsies Fashion Show', we've upgraded and will now be presenting 'Lady Elsies Fashion Gala' starting with a catwalk show and ending with a social and dance with recorded and live music. I put a call out for designers who wish to take part a few weeks ago and actually closed submissions on June 1st, but allowing for my communicative faux pas I will be keeping the form open for another couple of weeks to allow time for people here to apply if they're interested. The form is here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1l5z04W-Lky1QbNT4-eRdjbB1RcQXU37mBHLgb1U5oM4/viewform

and finally

As usual there will be a number of talks and workshops taking place over the weekend and rather than guess at what people might like I will ask here first (NOT on FB first). There are two questions really

1. Are there any particular subjects/skills you would like to see as part of the Asylum VI talks/workshops programme?

2. Are there any particular subjects/skills you would like to present as part of the Asylum VI talks/workshops programme?

There is no form for this at present, but depending on how the conversation goes one may be created. Hopefully I have the formatting of the post correct and the links will all work.

See you at the Asylum

Amos Farrier

Kathy_Davidson

There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.