News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Flying Free- steampunk RP cliche no. 16,000,000- sign up and OOC

Started by Prof. Isambard Ravenwood, August 05, 2014, 09:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

Ugh, it seems yet again, i wanted to do something, not knowing hundreds of other people have done exactly the same thing. but oh well, this will still be fun...

Flying Free is basically yet another steampunk firefly. Captain Darian Rolston owns the Maidens Liberty. He and his crew run cargo all across the sky-islands, whether it be legal- or not (BLAH BLAH BLAH. you all know this) the islands are like a floating Caribbean, islands small and big, some are bare and desolate, some are ports teaming with life. but all the crew know, is they'd rather avoid contact with the Imperial Navy, who patrol the sky. There are many different species of humanoid life on the islands, though only very few are in top positions in the military (The imperial forces are a dictatorship, ruling over the islands) the rest are destined for the slums, and are treated as lowlife.

we need at least six characters for the crew, preferably a mix of engineers, scientists, thieves, and mercenaries.

Name: Captain Darian Rolston
History: born on a backwater island, he was a natural fighter from birth. he could not wait to get off the island and get to a skyport to sign up for the Army. fighting against the imperial forces, he quickly climbed the ranks and became an Officer. But in a mission involving civilians, he directly disobeyed orders to leave the bystanders thus losing the island that was so crucial to win. He was demoted and discharged. because of the loss, the Imperial forces won the war and the rebel forces either turned coat, fled, or were killed. using the money he earned in service, he bought himself a ship, and fled for a backwater island, to find a crew. this is where our story starts, in a haven of thieves and cutthroats, where he is trying to put together a crew, and in doing so, resist the Imperial forces.
Appearance: He is six foot, 2" and is quite heavily built. His short, black, hair falls in curtains over his pale, handsome face- only it would be if it wasn't for the scars that ran across his lip and came down from his hair line and stopped halfway down his forehead. he still wears his heavy, brown military coat, with aged bronze buttons and trim. his white shirt is rolled up to the elbow and covered by a brown waist coat. his khaki trousers go down to reveal heavy brown boots.

Gear: He still carries his service pistol in a holster on his right, witch looks like a cross between Mal Reynolds pistol from firefly, and the pistol from the video game dishonored. It is not magazine fed, like Mal's pistol, it is a break open revolver chambered in .460 magnum. the entire cylinder is covered both sides buy plates with mechanical workings on them, used for the double action. He also carries a short cutlass which hangs from his hip. he has a standard communicator earpiece (all crew have them) and a gold, digital pocket watch, which has been modified to have a holo projector. Owns the [name of the ship which will be suggested.................. if anyone joins, that is]

also, ban on ray guns and overly powerful weapons- the ship only has plasma cannons as the technology cannot fit into a handheld weapon.

I look forward to meeting my crew!
I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

Quote from: Space Captain Toby on July 10, 2008, 11:36:25 AM
"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

The Corsair

Name: 27
Sex: Male
Appearance: 7'9", no bodily hair to speak of, weight unknown, grey-blue eyes.
History: Mostly unknown. Woke beneath a pile of potato sacks at a dock 3 hours ago with no memory and the number '27' tattooed on his wrist. Broke most wooden planks as he walked.
Gear: Pants that do not fit.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

great! still need a name for the ship if anyone wants to help?

MWBailey

I'll go ahead and join up, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to post on a clockwork-regular basis. It'll take a few to come up with a character sheet; real life already begins to impinge... ;)

SeVeNeVeS

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

cool! im thinking that i need a variety of suggestions and i'll either choose one or merge a couple together.
come on guys, we still need 5 crew members!

The Corsair

Still here, just quieter

MWBailey

The Corsair

Still here, just quieter

MWBailey

Quote from: The Corsair on August 10, 2014, 11:33:18 PM
Quote from: MWBailey on August 09, 2014, 08:26:07 PM
The Underwood

Because it's going to carry us?

LOL
Uh... actually I had just been looking at Richard Polt's (sp?) Typewriter site (the "Underwood" section, specifically). Yes, I have weird hobbies ;D.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

sorry for your troubles, but I've got a name, you are welcome to suggest any changes, but here she is, "The Maidens Liberty" I'm not too keen on the maiden part, but i think referring to her as "The Liberty" sounds quite easy and catchy.

MWBailey

Name: Silas  Banamadter
History: Born on Loki V, a semiarid subisland of the fourth largest Island in the sky system of Signa Persei" , Silas was the son of Sigurd Skolfsson, a silkpalm planter and major local political figure. When the Island defied the empire in The Loki Affair, a dispute that predated the Independents' Rebellion by nearly twenty years, Loki was invaded, or "pacified" as the term went at the time. The Silkpalms were burned, the land used as an Imperial military spaceport and garrison fort, and all of the Skolfssons but Silas put to the sword. He escaped with his life (barely) when his father thrust him into a culvert that emptied into the Hekla River, in whose current he was carried out into the Volsung Sea, where he washed up on the shore of Skogmatterheim, an island freehold for vagabonds, rebels and career criminals. The particular talent that he came to use to support himself was as a gunman; literally, a mercenary gunslinger. In Time, he forgot his old surname, taking instead "Banamadterr," an  old  word adopted by Loki's denizens  meaning "slayer" or "death dealer."

Later, In the Independents' Rebellion, he joined up with R-17, an inter-island raiding pack that raided both sides of The Border. He rose to the rank of Lieutenant despite his age, and served with the jacks-of-all-trades crew as both  navigator, Pilot, and gunman for the  Hadrian, a small repurposed cargoship refitted to be a strafer.

R-17 was ambushed by Imperial gunships off the third islamd of Ralston's Archipelago, the Hadrian damaged too seriously to continue, Her crew rescued and reassigned to the ships remaining. One by one the  remaining ships of R-17 succumbed to battle damage or just plain bad engineering, until finally the Quinlan's Fancy, on which Silas and the remaining other remnants of R-17 took refuge along with many others, made their way through various misadventures to finally crash-land just outside the airharbor of the Island where Captain Dorian is holed up and looking for a crew. It is thus that Silas is in town, in the market, as it were, for  a berth on a ship, preferably one of the Independents' guerilla vessels. His reputation as an assassin and a particularly bloodthirsty member of the old R-17 precedes him.

Gear: shoulder and crossdraw holsters (2 holsters) holding Lemat-type revolvers (Jayne's gun, sort of), chambered in the cylinder for .454 caliber magnum, and for 20-gauge shotgun slug in the underbarrel grapeshot barrel. The cylinders are modifed to be popped out and traded for a fresh loaded cylinder when exhausted. He typically carries four extra cylinders in his possibles bag. A Rebel-designed and made bolt-action infantry rifle in .454 caliber magnum, the same round as the LeMat, with sling and sword bayonet, which also doubles as a kind of makeshift bowie knife at Silas' side, worn on the hip opposite from the crossdraw-holstered LeMat. A boarding axe, worn tomahawk style at the rear of the right side of his belt.
Possibles bag with various items for personal use as well as the extra cylinders and a vial of gun oil, also a very abbreviated first aid kit and a flask of very high proof liquor. Brown-and-buff forage cap, matches greatcoat. knee-high boots, standard Inependents' Skyfleet uniform coverall pants and gray broadcloth shirt with button-down collar. All are kept as clean as can be expected, but show signs of battle and wear.

Is a dead shot with all of his firearms, and deadly in a knife fight or with the tomahawk, which he can throw accurately for a fair distance.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

cool! welcome aboard!, just thought I ought to specify, that there isn't space travel yet. The Islands are thousands of feet above the land- if there is any, as those who fall over board tend not to come back up... the air beneath the islands is thick with clouds and mist, whereas the sky above is very similar to our own, with different forms of weather. no one actually knows what a "planet" is, as the islands are moderately to long distances apart, but ranging beyond the map, nobody knows if there are other islands or not, as the sky is so large. no one has crossed it entirely as there are limits to aerium fuel capacity(a highly sought after chemical, everything runs off of aerium), and ships that venture of the map are never heard of again. so it is a given to the majority of the population of aerdyssia, that the islands are the only land in all the skies. The islands themselves are far enough apart that in the middle of the spaces between them, there is nothing except cloud. so in your biography MWBailey, change it to "Born on Loki V, a semiarid island of the fourth largest Island in the sky system of Signa Persei"
Thanks
Your Captain.

MWBailey

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

MWBailey

Forgot to mention, the LeMat revolvers are chambered for the same round as the rifle and are not cap-and-ball like the  RL LeMat. The rifle holds five cartridges per full load, plus has a sliding "volley" plate (a sliding panel that blocks the magazine section of the action (no detachable magazine) so that single-shot "volley" loading and firing is possible without fouling the magazine reserve) as on early examples of the British SMLE.

Fairley B. Strange

Okay, since this is a 'Flying Fire' trope:

Master Arani, male, 6'1", age difficult to determine but estimated at mid-30s, dark hair tied in a traditional ponytail and a neat ring-goatee, dressed in a long stand-collar robe in an embroidered ochre over plain black trousers and shiny leather boots. He carries a brown leather case across his back on a wide strap over his broad but not over-muscled shoulders.

"Good day, Captain. I seek passage to a number of assignations I have contracted across the islands. My name is Arani, and as you may see from my dress, I am a Senior Guildsman of the Gigoli, an ancient and honourable profession. I would like to make an arrangement to exchange services for my passage. Apart from the obvious skills of my Guild which may come in handy - to be employed outside your crew, of course - I am an experienced negotiator, spy, diplomat, and a skilled and cunning linguist."

He placed his case down upon the dock and waited calmly for a reply.
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

welcome aboard!, but you do realize that this is just a sign up thread... we'll get to meeting In charcter when we have enough chracters.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

Engineer Wanted:
Engineer for Hire wanted to crew a StormSprite B-class light frigate.
must know how to:
Maintain a 12 cylinder, 8 valve, Pratchett&Co aerium release engine,
how to handle, maintain and use handheld and ship mounted weapons,

cut of any/all profits= 14%
please seek Captain Darian rolston at dock 34 A.S.A.P

Fairley B. Strange

Quote from: Prof. Isambard Ravenwood on August 15, 2014, 01:36:01 PM
welcome aboard!, but you do realize that this is just a sign up thread... we'll get to meeting In charcter when we have enough chracters.

Yes, I just thought I'd do a brief scene rather than a "stats and skills table" given the type of skills of an Inara/Arani trope.
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

The Corsair

So we have a captain, a brute, an amnesiac and a male prostitute.

This is going to be a good RP
Still here, just quieter

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood