News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Archaeology of the Victorian and Early 20th Century Era in Britain.

Started by Lord_Ambrose_Whittingham, August 17, 2014, 06:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Ambrose_Whittingham

Good evening all.

To introduce myself, I am an archaeologist from Great Britain. I have been scouring the South East of England for all kind of abandoned crooks, crannies and coves ever since graduating from Cambridge. I was wondering if any of you out there have found anything worth visiting?

My kind regards and gratitude to all that reply.
The truth is in the mind, not in the seen or heard.

James Harrison

This was recently excavated near my home.  It was absolutely fascinating to follow the process in the local media. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Well there's plenty of 19th century industrial archeology round my neck of woods in Sheffield, but unfortunately a fair bit of it's been reburied or built over, but some of it has been preserved by Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust (website here http://www.simt.co.uk)
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Lord_Ambrose_Whittingham

Absolutely fantastic! Closest I have got recently is an old Prisoner of War camp, a little late with being WW2 and also very well known in Hatfield Heath!

Thank you both so kindly!

Have you heard of the abandoned Court in Sheffield? Worth a visit!

Thank you both!
The truth is in the mind, not in the seen or heard.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Lord_Ambrose_Whittingham on August 17, 2014, 07:57:31 PM
Absolutely fantastic! Closest I have got recently is an old Prisoner of War camp, a little late with being WW2 and also very well known in Hatfield Heath!

Thank you both so kindly!

Have you heard of the abandoned Court in Sheffield? Worth a visit!

Thank you both!

Well I know of it (I used to walk past it every day on my way to work) but I'd never heard of being called abandoned (I knew it wasn't used but never really heard any talking about it). I've had a look at some pictures of the interior which does look VERY nice, but short of a spot of breaking and entering I'm not likely to find myself in there.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."