News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (Mk. III)

Started by proteus, December 09, 2014, 04:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

Quote from: Major Vincent Smith on July 08, 2015, 09:19:40 AM
Welcome to all the new people! We hope you enjoy your stay! Teabags are here, biscuits are in the tin.

Glad to see I'm still the youngest member (and moderator) :P

how old are you, mayor?
I'm 19.
Passion is like a Peatfire

BaronVonBoiler

Good day and howdy, new member here.

I finally decided to do a search for a Steampunk forum and this one seemed much more active than some of the other results. I have been a bit of a steampunk behind-the-scenes for awhile now; however, here recently it has been much more prominent of a fascination. My thoughts have been a great way to escape the troubles of this world.

I have always had a strong interest in steam power. My first words were "Choo choo," I grew up with Thomas the Tank Engine as a toddler, my childhood was dominated by trains, I worked for a toy train store as a teen, and my life now revolves around the railroad I have worked for these past eight years.

I definitely look forward to browsing these forums and adding more steampunk to my life!

- Scott

Ranger Reid

Welcome Scott!!!!  This is a good forum with some excellent people.  Glad to have you join us.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: BaronVonBoiler on July 27, 2015, 09:04:42 PM
Good day and howdy, new member here.

I finally decided to do a search for a Steampunk forum and this one seemed much more active than some of the other results. I have been a bit of a steampunk behind-the-scenes for awhile now; however, here recently it has been much more prominent of a fascination. My thoughts have been a great way to escape the troubles of this world.

I have always had a strong interest in steam power. My first words were "Choo choo," I grew up with Thomas the Tank Engine as a toddler, my childhood was dominated by trains, I worked for a toy train store as a teen, and my life now revolves around the railroad I have worked for these past eight years.

I definitely look forward to browsing these forums and adding more steampunk to my life!

- Scott

Welcome Mr. von Boiler.  You have indeed found a good forum.  It is one of the oldest and largest forums out there and definitely one of the most important, if not the most important.

We are a global community here, having started as a mostly British American forum, it eventually spread past Europe and Canada, into Russia, Mexico and even a couple of Japanese Chilean and Argentinean members.

Please feel free to peruse the halls of this venerable building.

raffner

We are a couple of guys who have never met in real life, but have been working together on this project for a long time now. The project started in order to offer an alternative solution to promote, display and sell steampunk goods. We both believed that even if the steampunk movement is not based on profit, it was still a domain where people build a ton of great art, pieces, stuff... and of course some other people who are looking to collect, buy, or search for products.

Paradoxically, Steampunk takes its roots in the industrial era, which was no place for artisans and markers.... unlike the steampunk revolution, where it is positively encouraged!

All the artists and makers taking part in this growing movement are crafting exceptional pieces of art and we always wanted to help them make some extra money, get sponsors, and go a bit further in their artistic careers. This is why we slowly developed the site where you are currently reading this : Steampunk Junkies !

Sir Andy Vladimir Newby is the physician of the group - fixing and tweaking the pipes of the site and apps, he is a passionate person who could spend hours fixing a bug that no-one never spotted. He likes to experiment and perfect every bit of code of the puzzle. Andy is also a great humanist and a person who gives you a reply minutes after you sent him a message. He believes in the fun of doing the site and would dream to make it a place where people like to shop and have fun - leaving us enough commissions to have a decent living out of it

Dr. Prof. Raffner S. Weller III is the entrepreneur of the pair. Always thinking one step ahead, with the cogs literally going around in his head non stop. Most of the stuff you see on Steampunk Junkies, is the imagination of this man.

What is coming next?

The site and the community are growing slowly hand in hand, and we get a lot of good weekly surprises. Some bring us comments and reviews, while others just read our news on our

Twitter : https://twitter.com/steampunkjnkies"

iOS app : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steampunk-daily/id969792603?mt=8

Android app :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.steampunkjunkies.app2

We have also had some success in selling steampunk gadgets like our famous Cryptex (check our the review of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyVtlUarZhs

We would like to get more original Steampunk pieces to sell, get involved in events and shows, organize parties and fun things, take good care of our growing club of aficionados and artists, and create our own branded products and services... stay tuned and THANK YOU for supporting us!
The project started in order to offer an alternative solution to promote, display and sell steampunk goods. https://www.facebook.com/steampunkjunkies

EvilKelsits

Hello all,

My name is Kelly.
I am not new to Steampunk, but new to the forum.
I have liked Steampunk for around 4-5 years now.

I don't know what else to write, which is very surprising since I write a lot usually.

I write for a hobby and I am an English teacher, I am 28 years old and engaged to my fiance who isn't really into this scene.
I am writing a story but I feel it is too cliched. I am becoming simultaneously frustrated and enamored with the creation I have wrestled with for upwards of three years now.

I went to a Professor Elemental panel at Kitacon and asked him what I could do about my creation and he recommended this site.
I have searched Steampunk sites before but not joined, being unsure of the type of community it was.

Hope this explains enough of the type of person I am.

Harvey Midnight

Hello. I'm Harvey Midnight. I live in Alabama, the good ol' USA.. and I am from the South, tho not necessarily "of" the South.

When I first heard about steampunk, it was very interesting to me... I am a life-long science fiction fan, and was immediately drawn to the idea. Tho I didn't "dive in"..

-- Year before last,  I slapped together a steampunk costume for Halloween.. white shirt with baggy sleeves, some gauntlets I'd made with craft-foam painted up like faux-leather & glued onto shin guards... 8-corner cap with metal-paint on biker goggles.

People kept asking me what character I was supposed to be.

"Nobody in particular... " I'd say.

Steampunk is NOT very big, where I live.

Harvey Midnight

Me, again.. forgot to mention.. I'm 46; married, with kids... like me, they are complete sci-fi nerds!! Yeah, I've done this to them.

Looking forward to contributing to and learning from this forum!!!

Miranda.T

Welome Kelly and Mr Midnight!

Quote from: EvilKelsits on August 04, 2015, 08:34:38 AM
(Snip)
I am writing a story but I feel it is too cliched. I am becoming simultaneously frustrated and enamored with the creation I have wrestled with for upwards of three years now.
(snip)

Will we, in the fullness of time, be treated to any extracts?

Quote from: Harvey Midnight on August 04, 2015, 12:53:06 PM
(Snip)
-- Year before last,  I slapped together a steampunk costume for Halloween.. white shirt with baggy sleeves, some gauntlets I'd made with craft-foam painted up like faux-leather & glued onto shin guards... 8-corner cap with metal-paint on biker goggles.

People kept asking me what character I was supposed to be.

"Nobody in particular... " I'd say.

Steampunk is NOT very big, where I live.

Please do post up a picture!

Yours,
Miranda.

EvilKelsits

Quote from: Miranda.T on August 04, 2015, 08:48:21 PM
Welome Kelly and Mr Midnight!

Quote from: EvilKelsits on August 04, 2015, 08:34:38 AM
(Snip)
(snip)

Will we, in the fullness of time, be treated to any extracts?

I have to get my confidence up for that plus I've been writing so long that my story no longer has a beginning nor end. So I don't know what part of the story encapsulates everything. Also there's lots of similar scenes at the turning point of the story I have written several times. I need to see which one I am going with.

SteamGardenTokyo

Hello, this is Luke from Tokyo Inventors Society AKA the organizers of Steam Garden.

I have heard a few people say it can be hard to get in touch with us, so I thought how about doing an "ask us anything" type thread once in a while so that anyone who wants to can get the information about Steam Garden, Japanese Steampunk and related things. Let me know what you think!

GCCC

Quote from: SteamGardenTokyo on August 09, 2015, 05:55:41 PM
Hello, this is Luke from Tokyo Inventors Society AKA the organizers of Steam Garden.

I have heard a few people say it can be hard to get in touch with us, so I thought how about doing an "ask us anything" type thread once in a while so that anyone who wants to can get the information about Steam Garden, Japanese Steampunk and related things. Let me know what you think!

Yes, please.

chester16

Hi all i've seen bits and bobs about steampunk on the interweb but not follwed anything then I was at a Victorian town museum today and there was a couple with there little girl all dressed in steampunk clothing I loved what they were wearing so thought I would check it out so hi

RayneSaikoro

Hello everyone! I have been a longtime lurker here but decided I should finally post something about myself. By day I fill cardboard boxes with books that nobody wants to read and by night I write books that will probably someday end up in one of those cardboard boxes I'm always filling. Aside from that, I really enjoy making video games, lurking on forums and looking at pretty steampunk costumes, and eating pizza. :D

Jedediah Solomon

Pizza....mmmm  I am Jedediah and I have been absent for quite some time. Someone absconded with my portable Babbage device. You may know it as a Difference Engine  or more likely a computer. I am pleased to return to this forum and hope to never lose access to the aetherweb  again. Other than that,  I am a tinkerer by trade, specializing in the maintenance and repair of Horseless Carriages of all sizes. I enjoy various forms of science entertainment. (Not necessarily fiction....it just Contains technology which has not yet been harnessed) off the clock I tinker with my own ....projects.     bwahahaha.
Adventure awaits

MilesAtkinson

Hi all - Miles Atkinson here.  I've been a reader of steampunk and steampunk-influenced writing for a fair while now and love the genre and its endless possibilities.  Looking to meet and chat to like-minded people.  Really taking the plunge on this - my first steampunk event will be the Asylum at Lincoln at the end of this month.  Looking forward to it.
"Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." – G.I. Gurdjieff

von Corax

chester16, Rayne, Miles, welcome to Brass Goggles. Jedediah, welcome back.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Mazrim260

Well well, I seem to have found a forum. 

Introductions first I suppose.  Name, lets go with Ben.  Age is 25 and happily single.  I live in the US.  I've been into the steampunk scene for oh, 7-8 years now but until recently it was more of an appreciation of a unique art style.  I am a full time chef and in my spare time I make jewelry in the hopes of opening an Etsy store.

In addition to the jewelry I do enjoy basic costuming and prop making.  Props mostly being steampunked Nerf guns and fantasy genre mage staffs, although i am attempting my first steampunk "Aethermage" staff.  Pics will follow of a finished product.

Colonel Hawthorne

Welcome, Ben.  A chef with spare time?  Isn't that a contradiction?

Have a good look round and enjoy BG.  We look forward to seeing your creations.
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

Skin-job

Hello,

My name is Karl.

I'm a film industry professional of 24 years. My background is in makeup and creature effects, model and propmaking.

These days I make my living as a scriptwriter and professional leatherworker, whilst raising funds to finance my own films.

I've made many leather props for fandom in general. I make the only truly screen accurate Deckard holster from 'Bladerunner', Hicks' shotgun scabbard from Aliens, and produced the official replicas of Mal's holster rig from 'Firefly' for QMx.

I also made the 'Model 47' and 'Model 47A' brass replicas of Mal's sidearm from Firefly.

All of which has led me here.
I find the Steampunk aesthetic fascinating and would love to get involved in producing Steampunk leather stuff.

I look forward to having a really good root around the site. It looks like a great place.....

Karl
'Skin-job'

Making the world a better place, one stitch at a time......

Maets

Quote from: Skin-job on August 21, 2015, 07:45:37 PM
Hello,

My name is Karl.

I'm a film industry professional of 24 years. My background is in makeup and creature effects, model and propmaking.

These days I make my living as a scriptwriter and professional leatherworker, whilst raising funds to finance my own films.

I've made many leather props for fandom in general. I make the only truly screen accurate Deckard holster from 'Bladerunner', Hicks' shotgun scabbard from Aliens, and produced the official replicas of Mal's holster rig from 'Firefly' for QMx.

I also made the 'Model 47' and 'Model 47A' brass replicas of Mal's sidearm from Firefly.

All of which has led me here.
I find the Steampunk aesthetic fascinating and would love to get involved in producing Steampunk leather stuff.

I look forward to having a really good root around the site. It looks like a great place.....

Karl
'Skin-job'

Welcome to BG.  Looking forward to seeing some images of your work.

Skin-job

Thank you very much for the welcome.
I'm not certain as to where would be a good place to show my work.....

Karl

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Skin-job on August 22, 2015, 08:23:04 AM

Thank you very much for the welcome.
I'm not certain as to where would be a good place to show my work.....

Karl

Welcome to the forum.

It's very simple. For displaying a project and/or progress on a project you want to share, use the Tactile section.  For selling or offering your work, use the Trading section.

Skin-job

Posted in 'Trading'.

Thank you very much.

Karl

Overwatch

Hi, my name's Chris. I'm an American living in England. I've been doing casual steampunk for a couple years but just went to the asylum in Lincoln and encountered organized groups during the Queens' parade for the first time. Between the events and the wonderful people I met there I've been inspired. I'm a mechanic by trade and that leads me to a some what less extravagant version of steampunk as I can't stop asking myself "what does it do". My steampunk persona is the Corporal, a bumbling explorer who spends most his time lost and calls it adventuring. It's not far from the truth :P

Oh also my wife and I run business making cosplay and accessories and have been vending at conventions for the better half of a decade now.
Do you travel great distances in the name of adventure? Is your navigator's plotted course simply a suggestion? Do you refuse to ask the local population for directions? Are you capable of losing your bearings in your own back garden? Then the League Of Stubborn Travelers wants you! Become a wayward explorer for L.O.S.T. and set forth for adventure, because you are never lost if you never had a destination to begin with!