News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (Mk. III)

Started by proteus, December 09, 2014, 04:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siliconous Skumins

Welcome Veliquonar and fakebob, hope you enjoy your stay on our fine forum.  :)

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Mik Swemsian

Greetings All,

I went to my first Steampunk gathering at Old Tucson, Arizona, last weekend, and became intrigued when I understood that for many, Steampunk goes levels beyond just the wardrobe and accoutrements (fascinating as those are). At age 64, I am retired now from the "real world" (or retired into the "real world", depending on your point of view) and living in southern Arizona.

Based on observation, perhaps Steampunk is an adventure for the young; however, the spirit of individuality is engaging – an echo of the history of this part of America in which I now live.

Technical question – under the name on each post is a position designation: "swab", "deckhand", "officer", etc. What is the significance of those?

Rockula

Quote from: Mik Swemsian on March 15, 2015, 06:21:41 PM

Technical question – under the name on each post is a position designation: "swab", "deckhand", "officer", etc. What is the significance of those?

Nothing really. They are ranks that change the more you post.
But they don't relate to the quality of posts...just how much time you spend on these Forums.

Welcome.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

SeVeNeVeS

Welcome.

Steampunk is ageless, a thought of mind and being, as it were.

I think the fact you are here and enquiring is a really good start to opening the doors.

The swab, deckhand thing is based on post count (the more ya' post a reply to threads, you change rank)

I just turned 50 btw and still loving the whole Steampunk thing to bits.

Welcome again and hope to see you on the boards.

SquidgeyBat

Afternoon, I'm Steff. I live in North Yorkshire on the east coast of the UK.
I've been intrigued by steampunk for a few years now. Never did more than browse though.
However, my local con had a couple steampunk stalls, and a few people were wandering round in the costumes too.
So here I am, looking for help, tutorials, advice and all the shizzle to go with it, as I'm planning on attempting my own steampunk cosplay for next year.

So yeh, ramble over  :)

Serrac

I spend my time taking stuff apart, making bits, and then putting it back together. Sometimes it works again, sometimes it doesn't.
If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)

Faded Foreign Lord

Hi, I'm new here! This is only my second post.

I gained knowledge of this forum only last night, whilst reading an interesting book that I procured from the library - "Steampunk - An Illustrated History of Fantastical Fiction, Fanciful Film and Other Victorian Visions".

Although I only heard of the name steampunk a few short years ago, I believe that I was always enchanted by the literature and aesthetics of it.

I am desperate to start a creative steampunk journey. I eagerly search my house, looking at what things I could modify. I play the Ukulele and am eager to give it a bit of a steampunk look, although I need to be mindful - I do actually play the instrument and need it to still be fit for purpose.

This forum is slightly overwhelming for me. I have only ever been involved in one online forum before. I hardly know where to begin!

I look forward to furthering my knowledge and continuing my journey!
Thanks for having me!
"Though I know that it never can be I'd be pleased...to post your decrees, to fall at your knees, to name all your streets and to sit down and weep when you're carried back through them and set down to sleep and to lie by your side for sublime centuries 'til we crumble to dust when we're crushed by a single sunbeam" - Thank you Will Sheff

J. Wilhelm

Esteemed Lord Faded:

Welcome to the forum.  I think you will find at least a couple of instrument players in here. You were fortunate to start by reading a concise synopsis about Steampunk!

Edmund Charles Rutherford

***This is less of an introduction, and more of a re-introduction.  I have been absent from the forums for over three years, and it is HIGH time I returned.  My adventures have taken me far and wide, and unfortunately have not always been to my liking.  Life is like that, however.  None-the-less, I have returned, and I have returned relatively unscathed.  Below is a re-introduction of my Steampunk persona, however if one would like to get to know the "man behind the mask" I would be happy to introduce myself in a more private form of correspondence.***

Greetings to you all!  I am Edmund Charles Rutherford, MD.  I am recently returned from a sabbatical, during which time I have had the pleasure to travel the world and study abroad with many fine medical professionals.  My travels first took me to India with Her Majesty's Royal Army, where I spent a few years in her service as a general doctor.  Sadly, I took ill while there and had to leave for the reconstitution of my health.

Upon return to England, due to the severity of my illness, I was discharged from Her Majesty's service.  I was, thankfully, able to fend off the illness that threatened my life.  I was advised to seek out a different climate for the continued improvement of my health and I took the opportunity to visit America, a life-long dream of mine. 

I found myself in the grand city of New York, where my regular health returned to me forthwith.  I happened to meet a physician who convinced me to travel west with him.  He was a former army doctor, as I was, who was looking to open a practice of his own.  He convinced me that the air and change of scenery would help my health to continue to improve, and I spent the next two years travelling with him and learning a great deal.  That transcontinental railroad of the American's is a wonderful thing, by the way!  Such beautiful scenery you will see!

I have finally returned to my native Scotland, however, and I hope to stay here from now on.  America is a fascinating place, and full of wild adventures, but I am of an age to find a wife and settle down.  Being an adventurer is for the young and restless, and I am ready to return to respectable society and behave as a proper gentleman should.
Slaínte,

Edmund

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw

T.O.M

Hi all, Im T.O.M
I am a steam powerd robot from plymouth, england.
I'll be going to asylum VII i bought my tickets online a couple of days ago, if i were human i would be crazy excited!
Looking forward to meeting lots of fellow steampunk fans!
T.O.M - Technologically Obsolete Machine

Lady Lilliann

Hello everyone!
I am new to the steampunk community. I've known about steampunk for about half a year, but I do think I have it in my blood - as a child I always wanted to become a panteologist combined with any mix of an eccentric scientist and Indiana Jones :D

I love DIY, reading, art and music. I write own songs, but I'm a little perfectionist so I'm basically still working on all of them. I like painting steampunk and fantasy motives. I also make steampunk objects out of all kinds of junk from flea market, I especially like it when the items are usable for daily life too and not just for decoration or entertainment.

So that is me I don't think there is much else to say really :)
Have a nice day!
Fantasy mirrors desire. Imagination reshapes it.   Mason Cooley

VincentB

Dear Ladies and gentlemen,
My name is Vincent from France, 51 old.
I'm model maker and I have built a RC flying machine Victorian/streampunk style. Now this glider is finished and has flew.

I will show you this ship in the Tactile forum.

Supercrew

Hi folks,
just been shown this site by a friend.
I make steampunk machines for pleasure and sometimes (as it turns out) for profit.. but pleasure comes first.. I've been making them in a virtual world since 2006 then got brave and got going with the solder, glue and imagination in real life and I'm having a lot of creative fun and looking forward to checking out this forum  :)
Confusion is not necessarily an impediment.

Isambard Copperplate

Evening, ladies and gentlemen!
I'm Naka, from Bulgaria. I'm very keen about Steampunk, although a Steampunk society is virtually nonexistent in my country. This is also the reason that I started posting here - to find and comunicate with more people with the shared interest.

von Corax

Supercrew & Mr. Copperplate: Welcome! As you no doubt are aware, Steampunk is very much a matter of personal interpretation, and we look forward to seeing it as you do.

VincentB, I would say you most definitely understand Steampunk!

To everyone else: be welcome, make yourselves at home, and if you finish the tea do please be sure to start a fresh pot!
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Isambard Copperplate on April 21, 2015, 10:34:57 PM
Evening, ladies and gentlemen!
I'm Naka, from Bulgaria. I'm very keen about Steampunk, although a Steampunk society is virtually nonexistent in my country. This is also the reason that I started posting here - to find and comunicate with more people with the shared interest.

Esteemed Naka:

Welcome to the forum!

We have several international-Steampunk related threads.  Take this opportunity to talk about your type of Steampunk. Does your national history lend itself to Steampunk themes? Most of the countries in the world can.  Even Japan had it's Steampunk period (Meiji Era).  Back about 4 years ago, when Steampunk began exploding into Mexico's Internet, I began to pay attention an promote Mexican 19th C history as possible inspiration (I lived in that country as a child, so I was curious to see if Steampunk existed there, and I stumbled into it right at the time when it was emerging).  Who knows? You might be a pioneer of  Bulgarian Steampunk!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Lady Lilliann on April 09, 2015, 06:22:45 PM
Hello everyone!
I am new to the steampunk community. I've known about steampunk for about half a year, but I do think I have it in my blood - as a child I always wanted to become a panteologist combined with any mix of an eccentric scientist and Indiana Jones :D

I love DIY, reading, art and music. I write own songs, but I'm a little perfectionist so I'm basically still working on all of them. I like painting steampunk and fantasy motives. I also make steampunk objects out of all kinds of junk from flea market, I especially like it when the items are usable for daily life too and not just for decoration or entertainment.

So that is me I don't think there is much else to say really :)
Have a nice day!

Lady Lilliann:  being a "do-it-yourself" and obsessive perfectionist person is almost a requirement for being Steampunk!  Welcome to the forum!

Ranger Reid

Greetings all.

I am a newb, but very interested in steampunk.  I had read girlgeniusonline, but didn't even realize what a wide world of steam there was.  I feel like I just woke to find that the walls I have thought defined my room were false and there was a whole hidden mansion beyond what I knew.

I hope to learn terms and verbage as quickly as possible so I don't stumble upon my own ignorance while speaking with you all.

Thanks for the forum,

Reid.

classicassassin

Hello all!

I'm Lisa, a long time admirer of steampunk but just finally delving into it. I am currently working on my first outfit and super excited - waiting for everything to come in. I already have my next idea planned (steampunk headless horseman!)

So I have no idea how to add photos as spoilers, I apologize in advance. But I too, have horses (love Dr. Watson!) and will be including them in my costume. In fact, it's the catalyst that finally launched me into it. I have two Rocky Mountain Horses, a Thoroughbred, and a Mini. Here is the mare I will be riding in my demo with my costume, sidesaddle. It's a three day demo, so I will be switching up my outfits thanks to some buy one get one free deals on corsets at corset-story.

Rain, my mare:

Vegas, my gelding (he's not yet three, but will eventually be my costume horse):

I look forward to meeting everyone and I have been furiously reading the past week or so! I am currently recovering from surgery on my knee (got kicked by a horse of all things), so it has been great to be able to use this time to research. ;)

ETA: My headless horseman costume I will eventually modify and make steampunk!

Aemilia

That costume is amazing! Welcome to Brass Goggles :)

DikkeVetteVlinder

Hello!

My name is Inge. I'm twenty-one and from the Netherlands. Found Brass Goggles because I was literally looking for a steampunk community :')
Anyway; I study game design (I just so happen to be working on two steampunk related projects right now; one is my team's own, and the other one is a friend's that I'm helping out with since he only does programming) and am currently in my third year.
Besides the digital art I do for my study, I also paint a lot. I've done handpainted graphics for a project (not done yet) that is loosely based on William Turner's work.

On a day to day basis, my fondness for steampunk doesn't quite show. I do have one pretty nifty outfit, but washing it is some real complicated business, so I only wear it on special occasions. I think I have a pic of it lying around somewhere. I hope.
When it comes to music, I mostly listen to Abney Park and I got to see them live for the first time last weekend at Elfia, which was bloody amazing (I was standing front row, about a meter away from the stage). I listen to quite some other stuff of course, but that's not quite steampunk related.

That's about it, I guess :')

Lady Muck

Good afternoon you splendid people. I stumbled upon your meeting place quite by accident. I'm new to Steampunk but I live in the city that gives you The Asylum.

I'm still in the process of discovering my Steampunk identity.

qui est in literis

Good afternoon. After yet another prolonged absence, I feel it would be appropriate to re-introduce myself. I'm M.R. Graham, formerly known here on BG as Mad Miss Holmes, known in other corners of the internet as qui est in literis, or QEIL (which, I have been told, ought to be pronounced as "quail"). I'll still answer to "Miss Holmes", though.

It's been a while, friends. I've been off acquiring a Masters, turning out a few books, and floundering through the writhing, shuddering morass that is America's public school system. I'm afraid that, for the past few years, my steam and punk both have fallen by the wayside, and I cannot describe the depression that has induced. I can't stand it anymore, and so here I am back, if you'll have me.

Fond regards,
M.R.
"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply

Aemilia

I realize I have neglected to my introduction to the rest of Brass Goggles, my apologies.

To those of you who haven't encountered me on the forum yet I'm Aemilia. I live in South-East Wales and I'm in my late teens. I'm in my last year of A-Levels studying English, Philosophy and RS. My hobbies include napping, writing, reading, photography and making bits and pieces. Any questions or if you would just like to chat just drop me a PM.   

Colonel Hawthorne

One doesn't look at this particular topic for a day or two and suddenly all manner of interesting people pop up.

Welcome, or welcome back, all of you.  You all sound like very worthy members of our community, and I look forward to seeing more from you as time passes.

Inge, Abney Park in concert is quite something, isn't it?  We saw them at a very poorly-attended festival in Brisbane a couple of years ago.  It was brilliant for the audience and presumably OK for the band, since I understand they got paid; we attended a question-and-answer session with them with only about 10 people attending, so we could actually have a conversation with them.  Lousy for all the merchants who had travelled to be there, expecting many more people in attendance.

Lady Muck. with a name like that you're off to a good start on your character and being in Lincoln I suspect you'll pick up the rest without much trouble.  You can pick something out of the usual mix of pirate/explorer/scientist/gentry/all of the above, but don't feel constrained by what everybody else has done.  There are even those who shun personas completely.  Your choice.

Lisa - your horse also needs a costume!  There's a challenge ...
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?