News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Other anachronistic tendencies?

Started by SteampunkBuilder, October 23, 2007, 10:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteampunkBuilder

Just curious... I'm wondering how many other folks here are/have been into other anachronistic activities, and what group (if any)?

I've seen several folks mention that they also participate in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism http://www.sca.org or other organizations based more or less on different periods of history, whether authentic or idealized.  I've played in the SCA since '80, and even met my wife at an SCA meeting.  She mentioned the word "steampunk" to me just before this year's DragonCon, which caused an instant addition.  Now we're infecting our small local SCA group with a severe case of steampunk-itis.  What fun!
God bless Victoriana!

Laird Douglas, Independent Adventurer
Minister of Conservancy and Proliferation

Forge from the Steampunk X-Men, winners of the Dragon*Con 2010 Masquerade.
http://dailydragon.dragoncon.org/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6601-600x400.jpg

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Einstein

Nephus

Ok, I've rewritten this post 5 times in an effort to keep it from becoming a freeform rant.

Suffice it to say that I've yet to meet anyone in the SCA that wasn't overly anal about some aspects of history (and taking all of their time to go around and "correct" people with questionably accurate information) while completely ignoring other parts when it suited their purposes.

It's the holier than thou thing that drives me up a wall, especially when the people I've met have no higher ground to stand on.  That doesn't mean the entire organization is flawed, but if I've met 10 random people from the SCA over the years, and none of them knew each other, and they all exhibit similar tendencies... yeah, I'll skip the SCA.

Offlogic

Quote from: Nephus on October 23, 2007, 11:43:06 PM
Ok, I've rewritten this post 5 times in an effort to keep it from becoming a freeform rant.

Yeah, I used to play SCA, too, and I got tired of that game for many of the same reasons Nephus details.  Nobody else was into trebuchets or alchemy, and one can only stand so much polyester double-knit "garb" (hello, if not natural fibers at least stick with colors found in nature, okay?).

I used to be interested in a Holmesian group (The Afghani Perceivers) but they were all way retired and appear to have succumbed to a lack of "new blood", locally.
HST: Gonzo but not forgotten

Jake of All Trades

Nothing official or anything, but I do enjoy Indiana Jones-style B.C., Da Vinci-style renaissance, Batman-style Art Deco, Hellboy-style WWII, and Bugsport-style 1950-60s anachronistic fun.  My dad/best-friend is heavily into '50s and '60s Studebakers, so most of my non-Steampunk, anachronistic projects are based upon those decades.  I built him a pretty neat MP3 player disguised as a 1960s transistor radio for Christmas last year that I have to remember to post about on my site one of these days...
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear SteampunkBuilder,

I'm a historian, so that's my major anachronism.  Other than that I sign up for historic building preservation groups.  Usually my only activity is buying a yearly membership that gives me free entry.  I'm also a member of Art Deco societies when I remember to pay my dues. 

Vienna

Mr. Oliver

Quote from: Offlogic on October 24, 2007, 12:54:07 AM

Yeah, I used to play SCA, too, and I got tired of that game for many of the same reasons Nephus details.  Nobody else was into trebuchets or alchemy, and one can only stand so much polyester double-knit "garb" (hello, if not natural fibers at least stick with colors found in nature, okay?).

I really feel bad for you seeing as it appears you where stuck in a less than ideal group. In Atlantia, we have the 10ft rule on garb and armour, and a very large siege-weapon community. As for Alchemy, we have the SCA's largest functioning Alchemic studies group, numbering a grand total of five (the sixth member recently passed away in and unfortunate, but unrelated accident.

Offlogic

Quote from: Mr. Oliver on October 24, 2007, 05:06:27 AM
I really feel bad for you seeing as it appears you where stuck in a less than ideal group. In Atlantia, we have the 10ft rule on garb and armour, and a very large siege-weapon community. As for Alchemy, we have the SCA's largest functioning Alchemic studies group, numbering a grand total of five (the sixth member recently passed away in and unfortunate, but unrelated accident.

Sic transit Northkeep in Ansteorra.  But this was all aeons ago, with some other issues impinging and spoiling the erstwhile "fun".  There were some good folks there that are missed.

SteampunkBuilder

Quote from: Nephus on October 23, 2007, 11:43:06 PM
(snip)

Good heavens!  I don't know where you're from but I'm certainly glad I'm not there.  I know you don't know me from Adam's housecat, but I hope that you can believe me when I totally SWEAR that I'm nothing like the jerks you described!

On behalf of the sane vast majority of the SCA, please accept my most profuse apologies for your awful experience.  When an organization gets as large as the SCA it will invariably have pockets of rot.  Clearly your experience consists exclusively of that rot.  It breaks my heart.

If the SCA around here was like that here I never would have joined...never met many of my friends...never really learned about chivalry and honor...never found my beautiful wife...never had my great kids...YIKES!  I can't claim there aren't SCA members who fit your description to varying degrees, some to a "T", but folks in these parts are almost exclusively friendly, kind and polite.  On the whole we enjoy a good balance between authenticity and creativity-- encouraging new members who are just learning, accepting folks for who and what they are...and actively discouraging the type of mean-spirited criticism and tunnel vision you described.

Rather than try to make this a long-winded defense of the SCA in a doomed attempt to eradicate the bad taste in your mouth, I think I'll just stop now in hopes that yours will serve as a cautionary tale for both my fellow *sane* SCA'ers and for the steampunk community as well.  The effort to strike a delicate balance between creativity and history is shared by both groups.  The potential pitfalls are also shared.  Whether we can avoid them is up to each of us.
God bless Victoriana!

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Einstein

Thipp

I am in the SCA. Some groups argue about history, others craft things or play instruments or who knows what, we drink. Oh sure we do other things but mostly we drink. At war instead of elaborate period this and arguably period that we have a big tent and a bunch of kegs. Maybe I am over simplifying it all but what I am trying to say is that we just have a lot of fun, we don't get caught up on the details and everyone has a good time.

SteampunkBuilder

Quote from: Jake of All Trades on October 24, 2007, 02:27:00 AM
Nothing official or anything, but I do enjoy Indiana Jones-style B.C., Da Vinci-style renaissance, Batman-style Art Deco, Hellboy-style WWII, and Bugsport-style 1950-60s anachronistic fun.  My dad/best-friend is heavily into '50s and '60s Studebakers, so most of my non-Steampunk, anachronistic projects are based upon those decades.  I built him a pretty neat MP3 player disguised as a 1960s transistor radio for Christmas last year that I have to remember to post about on my site one of these days...

Indie...  Leonardo...  Studebakers...  Bugsport (WOW!)...

Jake, you don't just rock...YOU FREAKIN' BOULDER!!
God bless Victoriana!

Nephus

Well, I keep hearing about how wonderful it is, but I've yet to see it.  Seems the annual get together in my area was ruined 10-15 years ago when someone stole something and ended up getting branded with a T on his forehead. (for thief, as the story goes)  Everyone freaked out, banned the event.  Now I have no idea if that's true or not, but that's what I've been told.

Great Bizarro

Quote from: Thipp on October 24, 2007, 05:44:17 AM
I am in the SCA. Some groups argue about history, others craft things or play instruments or who knows what, we drink. Oh sure we do other things but mostly we drink. At war instead of elaborate period this and arguably period that we have a big tent and a bunch of kegs. Maybe I am over simplifying it all but what I am trying to say is that we just have a lot of fun, we don't get caught up on the details and everyone has a good time.
Well our group brews and then drinks it! We have gotten quite good at making mead and beers. I for one make items of leather and have taken classes in jewelery mfg. With groups like the sca there is always those that try to show up others by claiming they know more about the item at hand, it is best to ignore them or like me mess with their heads. My household disbanded last year but we still get together at least a few times a year and party it down. I quit the "swisshie poke" community due to the attitude aforementioned and now fight spear, sword and board and party till I drop. Met my wife through a mutual friend from the SCA and she had me take her to Pennsic the 1st month I knew her, was her 1st event, kinda hard to top it.
aka
Kayleb the Insane
From Ansteorra.
"No matter where you go, there you are"

Offlogic

Quote from: Great Bizarro on October 24, 2007, 12:31:19 PM

Well our group brews and then drinks it! We have gotten quite good at making mead and beers. I for one make items of leather and have taken classes in jewelery mfg. With groups like the sca there is always those that try to show up others by claiming they know more about the item at hand, it is best to ignore them or like me mess with their heads.

Kayleb, ADHD is the only hope for the SCA. In deed, for society at large (my assertion, no supporting exhibits).

You might well have been in Northkeep with me (or not) and if so you are one of the ones I miss now and frequently.  Full steam ahead, my friend, and a victorious journey to you!

Divorce, paranoia and reassessment of priorities outweighed SCA impedimenta.... and continues to do so, you understand, I hope?

Yet "bully!" on the brewing! I remember a plastic-bag brewing process at one household....  Not flashy, but certainly effective, though few would admit to it.  Chateau Big Mac, etc.

Augustus Dayafter

Mr. Oliver... Atlantia! What canton? I used to hang out with the fine folks from the Canton of Misty Marsh, do you perhaps know any of them?

Oh, and judging from my comment above, I was into the SCA and heavy fighting there. I am also very much into 30's-50's pulp fiction, film noir, and silver age comics. If any of that can be considered anachronistic.

Mr. Oliver

Quote from: Augustus Dayafter on October 25, 2007, 05:11:21 AM
Mr. Oliver... Atlantia! What canton? I used to hang out with the fine folks from the Canton of Misty Marsh, do you perhaps know any of them?

Oh, and judging from my comment above, I was into the SCA and heavy fighting there. I am also very much into 30's-50's pulp fiction, film noir, and silver age comics. If any of that can be considered anachronistic.

Canton? Sorry but no. I'm from the Barony of Tir 'y don in Virginia, which covers the Historic Triangle (Williamsburg/Jamestown/ JCC), Newport News, and Norfolk. I Know a few Marshies though.

I totally forgot another Anachronistic hobby of mine; I'm an 8th Rank martial artist in Le'Cane. Bugger me for not thinking about it, I usually categorize it under "Martial Arts" when listing hobbies.

heavyporker

Wait, what? There's Art Deco Societies? Now what is that?

I confess to a love of Art Deco design, but I've never heard of societies.

Oh, and Jake of All Trades... that Indiana Jones B.C. style you're referring to, are you talking about Mayan architecture or Egyptian architecture?

Edit: Oh, oh, I forgot Indian architecture, to say the least.
I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: heavyporker on October 26, 2007, 05:04:09 AM
Oh, and Jake of All Trades... that Indiana Jones B.C. style you're referring to, are you talking about Mayan architecture or Egyptian architecture?

Edit: Oh, oh, I forgot Indian architecture, to say the least.
All of 'em!  I'm really not sure I could pick a favorite if I had to...
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

cybele13

I used to do 18th century open hearth cooking demonstrations in full costume, complete with hand-sewn stays and wooden shoes. I miss it, but everyday life just got in the way. One of these days I'll get back to it.

I also collect and attempt to reproduce ancient, antique, and vintage recipes. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of New York.

I, too, have met some people who I call "historic accuracy Nazis," and they're not just found in the SCA. My biggest experience with that sort of thing comes from Rev War reenactment groups here in New Jersey. Got into an argument one day with a fellow who had a problem with me checking the time on a watch I stashed in my pocket. I gave him what-for after that for having all his teeth and for probably showering that morning.

I had some issues with members of the local SCA group here because they seemed to be a bit "loose" with their morals and affections as I was married at the time. It made me very uncomfortable, so I stopped going to meetings.
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!"  ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Prof. Rane, MA

<rant style="slightly off-topic">I try to teach French pupils proper English, as opposed to global English. Believe me, you can't get any more anachronistic... *Sigh*</rant>
Yours sincerely,

Prof. Rane, MA

Sean The Bastard

I am in the SCA in Lochac and I dont think the "time police" mindset is  very much in evidence here. However the "lets fight all day and party all night" flavour seems to be working pretty well.

In fact we just recently finished a gig called "Spring War" in New South Wales and it was sort of like Valhalla is supposed to be with lots of the afore-mentioned fight all day, party all night and then get up and do it again, and again. 

Great fun and no pretensions to be anything other than playing dress-ups and hitting each other...

skeletonrobot

ive been known to partake in some darkon. really i just like to hit people with sticks.

Atterton

I´ve been done some medieval fighting, which was great. I don´t think they had any affiliation to SCA, which is probably good. They didn´t take things that seriously, but still wouldn´t have let you show up wearing polyester. At least not for a show battle.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Heavyporker,

There are several regional Art Deco societies that put on events in costume, do lectures, walking tours, etc.  i've enjoyed their activities.

Vienna

Prof. Brockworth

I used to re-enact (pre-Conquest) with Regia Anglorum, and they were sticklers for authenticity.  Weave had to be right, never mind fabric.  We did a lot of very educational stuff, and then we got a longship and went pillaging.  You can tack a longship against the wind, you just need to be cunning ;)
Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...

sasha_khan

Gunaydin, arkadashlarim!

I do play a bit with the SCA - which, I must say, caries a quite from one locale to the nextm as far as interest in 'doing history'.

That aside, I do 'do' history with Legio IX Hispana, www.legio-ix-hispana.org a 1st Century AD reenactment group. We are underwear-out purists who, amazingly are still fun to be around...

We are in the midst of an unprecedented three month installation at a brand new museum in Anaheim, California - called The Muzeo www.muzeo.org.

We have soldiers and civilians on hand to go along with a wonderful exhibit of artifacts from Pompeii - so if any of you are around, ask for Sasha