News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Copper, Bronze and Brass Patina Formulae

Started by Burgess Shale, March 27, 2015, 09:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burgess Shale

For those of us that work in metals and do not wish to have the bright and shiny look for the pieces, Science Company has a list of formulae and instructions on patinating copper, bronze and brass with a variety of colors, provided that you want reds, browns, blues and greens.

http://www.sciencecompany.com/Patina-Formulas-for-Brass-Bronze-and-Copper.aspx#17
Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts

Maets

Nice find.  Nice that they are giving formulas and not just off to sell something.

Argus McJohnsten

Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.

Serrac

A couple more if you are wanting to give brass a matt black coating.

Selenium Toner: Dilute one part toner to four parts water. Immerse the part to be coloured for five to twenty minutes or until the desired colour is reached. Rinse well and dry.

Ammonia Copper Carbonate: Dissolve a teaspoon of copper sulphate in 100ml of water. Add a teaspoon or two of sodium carbonate (washing soda) gradually - It will fizz and froth up, so add a pinch at a time. Filter the precipitate and wash with hot water a few times. Dissolve the precipitate in household ammonia (usually a 5% solution) and immerse the part for five to ten minutes. Wash and dry.

Please do not dispose of the solutions down the drain or in a cesspit - Copper is toxic to wildlife and the environment.
If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)

Supercrew

Confusion is not necessarily an impediment.

Steampunk Away

Could the mods maybe lock this thread? And make it a different color like the other threads at the top?

Please and thank you!
Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!

von Corax

Quote from: Steampunk Away on April 20, 2015, 11:36:42 PM
Could the mods maybe lock this thread? And make it a different color like the other threads at the top?

Please and thank you!

You mean "sticky" it? I shall bring the request to Herr Döktor's attention.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Steampunk Away

My apologies! I did mean sticky! So sorry for any possible confusion.
Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!

CPT_J_Percell

Done as I agree that this needs to be sticky!

Thank you for sharing.
I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com

Crescat Scientia

Quote from: Serrac on March 29, 2015, 12:53:42 AM
Please do not dispose of the solutions down the drain or in a cesspit - Copper is toxic to wildlife and the environment.

How ought these solutions to be disposed of?  If hobbyists are using them it would be good to know.
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

Serrac

Most councils will have a waste disposal site - Usually for large items of domestic waste that they won't collect from the kerbside. Some of these waste disposal sites will have facilities for handling toxic/hazardous items (engine oil, lead acid batteries, paint, etc).

In the past, I have mixed small quantities of toxic chemicals in with old engine oil and disposed of it via the local recycling point.
If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)

Caledonian

Passion is like a Peatfire

von Corax

Quote from: Crescat Scientia on October 30, 2015, 11:52:58 AM
Quote from: Serrac on March 29, 2015, 12:53:42 AM

How ought these solutions to be disposed of?  If hobbyists are using them it would be good to know.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ADVICE IS BASED ENTIRELY ON AMATEUR KNOWLEDGE AND SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED BY ANYONE

Copper carbonate has poor solubility in water. You should be able to mix the ammonia/copper carbonate solution with water, then boil off the ammonia to leave the copper carbonate in suspension. Allow it to separate and then filter the solids from the water. The solid copper carbonate should be disposed of in accordance with local regulations if they exist, but otherwise should be safe for landfill. (It's certainly safer than a lot of unregulated waste that ends up there.)

The selenium toner Serrac mentioned is a commercial product, and should come with its own disposal instructions in the package.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading