News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Things that make you go WTF? MkII

Started by SeVeNeVeS, July 15, 2015, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCCC

Oh, great. Thanks for the earworm.

(Although, as earworms go, it's not that bad...)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: GCCC on July 20, 2015, 12:35:22 AM

OK since this is the WTF thread, and you're talking about earworms, I'm going to give you a nightmarish one...  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g

Quote from: Drew P on July 19, 2015, 12:10:19 PM
Have you tried AliExpress?

Wow.  AliExpress have the same items and for $1 more (!)... the exact same in the form of a dress (!). But I expect the item to have the same manufacturing flaws.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-red-Chinese-Women-s-Satin-Cheongsam-Qipao-Mini-Evening-Dress-Size-S-M-L-XL/899491984.html

The item I bought originally: http://www.dhgate.com/product/2014-new-arrival-fashion-cheongsam-top-traditional/192731821.html

Sir Henry

WTF

OK, I admit it, I had to buy it. No idea what to do with it though...
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Sir Henry on July 20, 2015, 01:31:09 PM
WTF

Well, they're definitely not going for authenticity here....

Alas, this is a Louisiana company, so they never claimed Tabasco sauce ever had anything to do with the Mexican state of Tabasco..

I winder when they'll cone up with a Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce...  Oh wait a minute!  I think someone already did!  I can place the name but I remember seeing it at my local super.

The thing is that cola-marinated pork actually is a legitimate recipe....

GCCC

"...OK since this is the WTF thread, and you're talking about earworms, I'm going to give you a nightmarish one..."

I tried to look away...I tried..but I just couldn't take my eyes off it...

I'm bookmarking it and inserting it into online commentary when a break is needed.

GCCC

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 20, 2015, 11:44:10 PM
WTF

Alas, this is a Louisiana company, so they never claimed Tabasco sauce ever had anything to do with the Mexican state of Tabasco..

I winder when they'll cone up with a Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce...  Oh wait a minute!  I think someone already did!  I can place the name but I remember seeing it at my local super.

I've seen that Dr Pepper sauce, too, but can't remember where. Maybe it was a regional (Texas) thang?

Prof Marvel

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 20, 2015, 08:11:18 AM
Quote from: GCCC on July 20, 2015, 12:35:22 AM

OK since this is the WTF thread, and you're talking about earworms, I'm going to give you a nightmarish one...  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g

oooh this is fun - PONPONPON Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
sort of a Bad Acid Trip Pink Lolli PeeWeeHerman crossed with PippiLongstocking
fortunately the sound was off so I did not get sucked down the ...
oh WAIT there'sORE OF THERM
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: GCCC on July 21, 2015, 02:10:59 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 20, 2015, 11:44:10 PM
WTF

I winder when they'll cone up with a Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce...  Oh wait a minute!  I think someone already did!  I can place the name but I remember seeing it at my local super.

I've seen that Dr Pepper sauce, too, but can't remember where. Maybe it was a regional (Texas) thang?

Well, Dr. Pepper is DEFINITELY a Texas thing all by itself (concoted in the 1880s by Charles Alderton in Waco, Texas).

Walmart an a myriad of online vendors carry the BBQ sauce, but I thonk I saw it as a component in another brand sauce:
http://www.pepperexplosion.com/dr-pepper-sweet-kickin-barbecue-sauce/?gclid=CNfekNmv68YCFQ2OaQod0YgH6Q

And they didn't stop there.  There is also A&W Root Beer BBQ sauce!!

GCCC

Ha! Seen 'em both! Probably in HEB.

J. Wilhelm

Well, I haven't seen this one yet  ;D  Some manufacturers are more honest than others

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: GCCC on July 21, 2015, 04:26:11 AM

So I take it you're a fellow Texan.  On which side of the Washington on the Brazos are you? I reside in the former town of Waterloo, now the City of Austin.

GCCC

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 21, 2015, 04:28:33 AM
Well, I haven't seen this one yet  ;D  Some manufacturers are more honest than others

Oh, hell no. At my age I've had to switch to Wolf Brand "Mild" and can't eat Popeye's in the evening or near the end of the weekend...

GCCC

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 21, 2015, 04:32:05 AM

So I take it you're a fellow Texan.  On which side of the Washington on the Brazos are you? I reside in the former town of Waterloo, now the City of Austin.

And a native. My bloodline came into Texas with Austin's Little Colony and my namesake came into Texas after the American Civil War. I'm very familiar with both places. I'm thinking July 4th at Washington was not the same this year without the free Blue Bell.

As for the rest, may I just say:

I'd prefer to maintain some semblance of plausible deniability, if it's all the same, just to avoid complications in the real world. (One never knows, after all...) If I say I live southeast of the Balcones Escarpment, is that sufficient?

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: GCCC on July 21, 2015, 05:41:04 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 21, 2015, 04:32:05 AM

And a native. My bloodline came into Texas with Austin's Little Colony and my namesake came into Texas after the American Civil War. I'm very familiar with both places. I'm thinking July 4th at Washington was not the same this year without the free Blue Bell.

As for the rest, may I just say:

I'd prefer to maintain some semblance of plausible deniability, if it's all the same, just to avoid complications in the real world. (One never knows, after all...) If I say I live southeast of the Balcones Escarpment, is that sufficient?

It's close enough for GPS Code Phase Tracking.... Thank you for your cooperation  ;D

SeVeNeVeS

Due to work, life and making stuff, i've just realised i havnt actually eaten anything for 4 days. Now, that can't be good, no wonder I feel slightly wammmy at the mo' WTF!

Wormster

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on July 24, 2015, 06:32:20 PM
Due to work, life and making stuff, i've just realised i havnt actually eaten anything for 4 days. Now, that can't be good, no wonder I feel slightly wammmy at the mo' WTF!

As the sage once said: "if you don't eat, you don't s***e, if you don't s***e you die!" - fergawds sake get outside of some scran!
Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!

Rockula

For her work my wife (as LGBT liason) was asked to help at the Brighton Pride Parade next Saturday and I was also asked as honorary 'Straight Ally' to participate.

We were up for it and as the meeting before the parade is at 8am Saturday morning planned to book a room for Friday night.

Our usual hotel (very nice) is usually about £80.
They wanted £150 with a minimum 2 night booking (total £300).

No 'Pride' for us then.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Ranger Reid

Quote from: Rockula on July 24, 2015, 08:46:41 PM
Our usual hotel (very nice) is usually about £80.
They wanted £150 with a minimum 2 night booking (total £300).

I was sent to help out with a disaster near south Florida.  My dispatcher told me that it would be "self sufficient" which means I pay for my room and food and the feds reimburse me after it is over.   No problem.   I told my wife that I would get the hotel, and when I checked out, by then her check would be in the bank and cover the room.  We just had to be very careful how much I spent on food...........

So I got there, and the hotel clerk checked me in.   Then he told me that they would bill my room in advance for the week.  I said "No wait!,  you bill in advance???  Who does that?"    "As far as I know sir, we are the only hotel that does."    So I told him to wait for me to ask my wife to transfer some money from savings.....  He agreed to wait.     While I was waiting my buddy came up and offered to share a room, putting it on his credit card.   GREAT!!!!
So I told the clerk to void my room, I was going to stay with my buddy.
He said "no worries, I never put the charge through sir."

Ten minutes later my wife called me.   "WTF????  They charged us????  They just wiped out our account!!!!"

I went back and the guy argued for a bit before calling for his manager to come fix it.
His manager couldn't fix it right away.  It took till the next day.  Then they changed the charge to $1.   and in two days refunded the one dollar.

MWBailey

Just in case you haven't had enough Japanese WTF earworm nightmare footage...

https://youtu.be/MxvA-m0cpAw

The song is Little Apple by a duo/band called the Chopstick Brothers. It was a gigantic hit in Asia last year, and broke into the US market as well.

No, I have not learned to play the tune on the banjo.

Yet...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: MWBailey on August 01, 2015, 01:43:36 AM

The song is Little Apple by a duo/band called the Chopstick Brothers. It was a gigantic hit in Asia last year, and broke into the US market as well.

Yet...

You mean Chinese Earworm...

MWBailey

I suppose I do at that, though the MMD dancers are of Japanese origin...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

GCCC

Quote from: MWBailey on August 01, 2015, 01:43:36 AM

Yet...

Puts me in mind of this:

MMD | Frozen | Michael Jackson - Thriller

J. Wilhelm

The Great Texas Mosquito Festival in the town of Clute (Pop. 11450), 50 miles South from Houston and close to Big Boggy National Wildlife Reserve.

Sounds like a real charmer  :-\

GCCC

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 04, 2015, 11:08:32 PM
The Great Texas Mosquito Festival in the town of Clute (Pop. 11450), 50 miles South from Houston and close to Big Boggy National Wildlife Reserve.

Sounds like a real charmer  :-\

Don't mess with Willie Manchew!

https://www.brazosport.org/brazosport-is/clute/

J. Wilhelm

Ummm... er... yes. I mean no... well, you be the judge:

Star Wars Makeup by Cover Girl
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/covergirl-launching-star-wars-makeup-c1234171921752118/photo-star-wars-mascara-1439490725908.html