News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

More Victoriana heading to disneyland:

Started by S.Sprocket, March 09, 2007, 12:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.Sprocket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_California_Adventure#Future_Plans

If you skip down to future plans you'll scan over:

QuoteAdditionally the entire Pier area will be themed to Victorian.

I had this confirmed by an Imagineering source I can not name.  It will be changed to a victorian sea-side attraction.
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

Cory

Ah... A topic near and dear to me!

I'm very interested to see how the DCA placemaking planning works out, and probably won't bother going back to the Disneyland Resort until it's completed.

The best news I've heard so far is the rennovation of the plaza to a Craftsman motif and transportation hub. The idea of taking a limo to the Hollywood Backlot, a trolly to Paradise Pier and a tourbus to the Golden State has the same kind of appeal, to me, as the Main St. vehicles (which I make a point to ride ^_Q ). About the only thing I don't think they should change about it is the train station storefront to the right as you come in, since it accents the transportation hub theme, and the Golden Gate Bridge replica.

It'd be interesting to see how retheming Paradise Pier goes, but the fundamental flaw of that area has nothing to do with theme. It's the fact that the rides are your average carnival amusement rides that you can ride anywhere and don't do much for you unless you're really into roller coasters and ferris wheels. The pier amusement park theme is fine... I got it... it's just that those don't do much for me to begin with.

I wonder how they'd manage even giving it a Victorian theme while still theming all the rides to Pixar films. Part of what makes Main St. USA (and, for that matter, Adventureland and Frontierland) is that it's pretty strict on keeping the overtly Disney stuff to a minimum. If there is anything that recalls those franchises, then it blends in. But I'm not sure how one would make Pixar characters blend into a Victorian setting.

If I had my druthers, I'd probably forego the Victorian theming on Paradise Pier and just sacrifice the thing to Pixar. Instead, I'd take down A Bug's Land, extend back that harbour area and resurrect Discovery Bay there. Not only could that add some E-tickets (if they imported, say, Journey to the Centre of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues from Tokyo in addition to Mysteries of the Nautilus from Paris), but it would reinforce the California theme with a San Francisco Bay area. If there must be a Cars part, rip down some stuff to place it at the west end of Paradise Pier, keeping a Route 66 theme going (since it is the only Pixar movie that does reinforce the park theme with it's "great American road trip" deal). And then I'd reinforce the Grizzly Peak area by bringing in the Country Bear Jamboree, hitting up some more 1920/30's US National Parks motifs, and maybe using ol' Humphrey the Bear and Ranger Woodlore as mascots.

But that's just me, and I don't work for Disney, so there ya' go.     

S.Sprocket

"we need to start our own steampunk amusement park, with blackjack, and hookers...  aw, forget the amusement park!!"

sometimes I wish walt was still arround.  HE was a steampunk.
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

MrFats

We should organize a trip there! We shall all go! here, here! -.Q
Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer

S.Sprocket

the trip is about 15 minutes from my current job, that's not a trip, that's an excuse not to drive in traffic. :D

Lasairfion

That'll be nice. I was distressed at my last visit to Eurodisney to find that the Jules Verne feature film with 9 screens in a full circle had been ripped out and replaced with Buzz Lightyear.

And that ride was very squashed in there. And I found where they'd missed painting bits of the scenery.

Penny Dreadful

I would go with a group.  I'm stuck in Irvine for school, so I'm not very far away at all...

S.Sprocket

when it gets built we'll be sure to go penny, but in the meantime you could always help us figgure out where the LA steampunk meeting should meet at in the meantime, we have some posts going in geographical.

The Infernal Mr Adams

Quote from: Cory on March 09, 2007, 01:28:09 AM

Instead, I'd take down A Bug's Land, extend back that harbour area and resurrect Discovery Bay there. Not only could that add some E-tickets (if they imported, say, Journey to the Centre of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues from Tokyo in addition to Mysteries of the Nautilus from Paris), but it would reinforce the California theme with a San Francisco Bay area.

Great idea Cory! And now that most of the things in Discovery Bay have already been build, it would be pretty cheap for them to build the damn thing....finally....perhaps....one day....mayhap?  :-\
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--