News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

"STEAM LONDON" Out-of-character Thread

Started by Ottens, October 30, 2007, 02:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottens

Before I outline my idea for a new open-end Role-Play Game, allow me to suggest a slight reform of the "Portrayal" section as a whole.

The "Portrayal" board was originally created specifically for the "Council Wars" RPG, and although some RPG suggestions have been made since the demise of "Council Wars", the majority of threads--including the stickified topics--are still dedicated to said game.  I propose that we archive the threads related to "Council Wars", and un-stickify the topics that were previously of particular importance to that game.

I'll continue with my proposal for a new Role-Play Game.

STEAM LONDON

SETTING

By the end of the 19th century, London has grown into the largest and grittiest metropolis on the planet, encompassing "London Proper" and stretching so far north as encompassing the (former) city of Luton and so far south as Brighton and Dover. The city holds approximately one hundred million people, but accurate estimates are made impossible by the huge ammount of illegal immigrants and unregistered poor. London is built on solid Victorian principles of architecture and technology. It is powered by steam rather than electricity or gasoline and built of brick, glass and steel. Although its brick buildings are not modern Manhattan's towering spires and skyscrapers, they are still their equals in size, with massive floor spaces that only the wealth of empire can afford.

Outside and underneath "London Proper" exists a world far different from the "Upper World". Here, society is ruled by feudal principles and government holds little if no grip over law and order. Underdwellers live in subterranean cities, connected by subway tunnels, sewers and forgotten catacombs. Rumors speak of magic and divergent laws of physics, mutated men, and occult societies firmly governing the thousands of people who are forced to live in the London Underworld. The world below is harsh, cruel and dangerous.  Everything is for barter and survival demands a combination of luck, wits and brutality. It's best to make a few friends and secure a few favors in your debt.

GAME-PLAY

Players can make whatever character they desire, be it an upperclass lady or gentlemen, and underworld magician or occultist, or an adventurer who seeks to unravel the mysteries of the London Underworld.

Being a Steampunk world, anything is possible from zeppelins to rayguns. Players can chose to travel the city through the air, the streets, or the underground channels which connect the mysterious underworld realms.

There is no pre-determined plot, and players can chose to do whatever they like. It would be encouraged though to team up with other characters and I'm sure that, like the "Council Wars" RPG, soon certain places will be deviced where characters can meet up, alliances will be formed, etc.
NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Steampunk, dieselpunk, retro-futurism and alternate history.

Bracer

I am so in. I wasn't here for the "Council Wars" you speak of, but I would have gotten involved if I had been. When does all this start? And hos does one go about created said characters etc.
Keep it unreal.

Ottens

If this generates enough interest, I'll explain about character creation and locations in more detail.
NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Steampunk, dieselpunk, retro-futurism and alternate history.

Jarod20

I'll join the mischief, are you looking for any dedicated GMs? or is it totally player fueled
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw

kiskolou

Oh, yes, i would most certainly enjoy this. Count me in.

Poor council wars though...Long live USAF!

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Gaslight Phantom

I would gladly add my name to the roster of those intrigued by the prospect. Sounds like the foundations for a ripping good roleplay.  ;D

Miss Gadget

Piece by piece, snip by snip, croup, dock, haunch, shoulders, hip,
Tread by thread, primmed and pressed, yard by yard, never stressed,
And that's the Art of the Dress!

danger

Ooo~ I may be interested in joining.

Ottens

Quote from: Jarod20 on October 30, 2007, 07:13:04 PM
I'll join the mischief, are you looking for any dedicated GMs? or is it totally player fueled
I think that for the time myself being GM would be sufficient, but if the game grows--which is something I hope sincerely of course!--then it might be a good idea to have more oversight. We'll see ;-)

Bracer

About creating your character, do you just write paragraphs about them? Or are we to have a specific template? The latter is the one I would choose, as you may want to read up on anyone you encounter in order to describe them better and make for better roleplay. I have much experience in this area as I spend a majority of my spare time on RP forums and fill out one of these templates per day, (on average) so I would suggest myself to make said template.
And how will character creation work? Will there be a thread that characters are to be posted in?
Keep it unreal.

Ottens

Yes, there will be a thread where players can post descriptions of their character.  A template to be used will be posted in such thread.  Basic information like name and appearance would be required; character background and history would be optional.

Bracer

Excellent! Does such a thread exist already?
Keep it unreal.

AFGNCAAP

I, too was absent for council wars, and have just taken the initiative to join! Beware my walls of RPG text, though--the less I plan to write, the more I often end up writing.  :P I hope I do well, because I write in more than just these...!
"An eruption!" I said. "We're in the chimney of an active volcano?"
"I think so," said the professor smiling, "and that's the best thing that could happen to us!"
-Journey to the Center of the Earth

"The way to my heart is through my chest, with a scalpel and a bone saw."
-Lady Anne

Ottens

Welcome! :D  I hope you'll all enjoy role-playing.

I'm sorry I couldn't post myself--weekends are busy for me (work) but I'll get a good introduction of my character up tomorrow.

von Brasswood

I haven't tried these roleplaying games before, but I've wanted to for some while. If I make a mistake, please tell me.

I've just made my character now, and I'll try to write something advancing his story further. I have tried to write in some places where people can participate in my story line if you wish (Who is following me? Will someone accidently see my spring knifes? Where does your characters get their knifes? Will someone make me jump by accident and instinctively make me spring my knifes?).

On a sidenote: Where did you get your character names from?
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

the Hat

I'm new to this too, should be fun!! I made my character name sometime ago as a pen name. "Scott" is a nice play on the fact that my character IS Scottish. Coolige came from my study of US presidents.
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

von Brasswood

My last name is obviously the BG forum name, but the first name, Geirulf, consists of Geir, which means spear or sharp-edged object, since he is a knife maker and Ulf, which means wolf, playing on the whole "lonely wolf" segment.
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

AFGNCAAP

I chose the name Demetri...just because I like it. :-[ And it is fun; I've done similar things on other forums, and it seems the RPGs on this one have a nice, civilized twist to them that requires actual writing skills. This may turn out to be my favorite.
"I think so," said the professor smiling, "and that's the best thing that could happen to us!"

-Lady Anne

the Hat

Quote from: AFGNCAAP on November 05, 2007, 02:28:20 AM
I chose the name Demetri...just because I like it. :-[ And it is fun; I've done similar things on other forums, and it seems the RPGs on this one have a nice, civilized twist to them that requires actual writing skills. This may turn out to be my favorite.

Yes, everyone here is quite creative. An RPG could turn into a very complex novel here.
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Gaslight Phantom

I chose Ajax for the obvious connection with the giant Greek warrior, and because it's a damn awesome name that I've been tossing around lately. Callaghan roughly means "strife" in Gaelic, although it's been anglicized awfully.

I've done some role-playing in the past too, usually with people as literate as those here on BG. It's a right jolly old lark, it is.  ;D

P.S. To Jon: Ajax is heading into the burning flat. Do you have any idea what he'll find, since Horatio was the first to see it, or should I just make something up?

AFGNCAAP

Speaking of names...oh, NO! I just realized that I have been calling Horatio "Harold" for some time--forgive me, Jon; somehow, I must be confusing him with HAC! It seems that in every RPG I participate in, there is just one character who's name I get wrong...it won't happen again.  :-[

-Lady Anne

Miss Gadget

Phantom: I'll run with whatever you write.

AFGNCAAP: Whoops, nevermind.
Piece by piece, snip by snip, croup, dock, haunch, shoulders, hip,
Tread by thread, primmed and pressed, yard by yard, never stressed,
And that's the Art of the Dress!

HAC

Quote from: AFGNCAAP on November 06, 2007, 05:22:08 AM
Speaking of names...oh, NO! I just realized that I have been calling Horatio "Harold" for some time--forgive me, Jon; somehow, I must be confusing him with HAC! It seems that in every RPG I participate in, there is just one character who's name I get wrong...it won't happen again.  :-[
I have a confusing effect on myself, sometimes!  ;D   ;D  ;D

Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

Gaslight Phantom

This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand (or indeed any topic whatsoever), but I can't resist pointing out a brilliant typo in the Game Guide:

QuoteShould have you any concerns in regard to character creation or other questions related to Steam London, please feel free to contact Ottens per Primate Message.

The idea of affixing a letter to a silverback gorilla and releasing it into the streets with a set of complex directions based on symbols and dangling bananas is just so very appealing to me. Expect a parcel by Primate post-haste.  ;D

AFGNCAAP

Best. Typo. Ever. I'm imagining rolling up a note and handing it to a pygmy marmoset I keep on my shoulder, then letting it out the window to swing from clothesline to clothesline until it reaches the recipient.

-Lady Anne