News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Disposable Gas Cylinder Safety question

Started by SeVeNeVeS, August 28, 2015, 07:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeVeNeVeS

Ive got 2 spent cylinders I want to use on a project.

Ive punched out the fill and exit points in the garden and they seem completely empty now.

Are they now safe to weld/ solder and drill?

Although not pretty, I'd quite like to keep my facial features in tact.

Many thanks for any advice.

Narsil

Absolutely not. It only takes a tiny amount of fuel vapour to explode and even if it seems empty it's quite likely that there is a certain amount trapped inside.

Fuel containers should be treated with great caution the only safe way to cut them is to thoroughly flush them out and fill with water or inert gas.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron

SeVeNeVeS

I did forget to mention they have been flushed with water, more than several times.

Thanks for the reply, if I dont post for a while you know why........ to the blowtorch........

Maets

That type of cylinder can be worked on. You already have it open. Drilling or cutting with a saw should be at zero risk. With several holes in it, you can bring a torch to it and see what happens.

With holes it won't explode. Might burn but no explosion risk.

All that being said. Proceed with caution and wear protect equipment.

Maets

Thought I would add: In the 24 years I have been cutting open cylinders, I have had 9 close calls.  If I am a cat, then the next one is it. For the most part it was thinking they were open, but not. 

Be careful.

SeVeNeVeS

Risked an 'ole and chucked in a match at arms length (on a stisk).... still here to tell the tale, no flash or burn, many thanks for the advice.

Onwards we go, with eyebrows intact, still bushy and bright  ;D

Maets

If you suddenly stop showing up on BG we will send the fire department.  ;D

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

SeVeNeVeS

Just want to add for anyone attempting this, there is still a hell of alot of pressure and gaseous residue left after it seems empty, so, yep....... BE CAREFULL!

GCCC

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on August 28, 2015, 04:05:15 PM
Just want to add for anyone attempting this, there is still a hell of alot of pressure and gaseous residue left after it seems empty, so, yep....... BE CAREFULL!

Sorta like me after Tex-Mex, then...

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: GCCC on August 28, 2015, 11:52:30 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on August 28, 2015, 04:05:15 PM

Sorta like me after Tex-Mex, then...
;D

Wilhelm Smydle

With small cylinders its best to punch a hole at a distance.
.38, or larger seams to work well.

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'