News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Best Quotations Concerning Tea

Started by J. Penn, September 09, 2015, 04:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Penn

Hello, everyone! I'd like to start a thread for all the great quotations about tea. If you know of any (famous, historical, or if you would like to contribute your own wise gems), please share them here!

Here's one to start:

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future."
—     Thích Nhất Hạn

Maets

There is no Steam or Steampunk without tea.

Maets

There is no Steam or Steampunk without tea.

Caledonian

I would rather have a cup of tea than sex.
~ Boy George
(once had a friend that was obsessed with boy george...)
Passion is like a Peatfire

Hez

My former favourite quote:
"If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
If you are depressed, it will cheer you;
If you are excited, it will calm you."
― William Ewart Gladstone

My new favourite quote (found while trying to find the former because I couldn't remember who said it:
"There are those who love to get dirty and fix things. They drink coffee at dawn, beer after work.
And those who stay clean, just appreciate things. At breakfast they have milk and juice at night.
There are those who do both, they drink tea."
― Gary Snyder

Maets

Quote from: Hez on September 09, 2015, 06:37:12 PM
My former favourite quote:
"If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
If you are depressed, it will cheer you;
If you are excited, it will calm you."
― William Ewart Gladstone

My new favourite quote (found while trying to find the former because I couldn't remember who said it:
"There are those who love to get dirty and fix things. They drink coffee at dawn, beer after work.
And those who stay clean, just appreciate things. At breakfast they have milk and juice at night.
There are those who do both, they drink tea."
― Gary Snyder

Both are very good.

J. Penn

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James

Fairley B. Strange

Quote from: Caledonian on September 09, 2015, 12:15:38 PM
~ Boy George

I would rather have a cup of tea than sex with Boy George....     ;D
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Caledonian

Quote from: Fairley B. Strange on September 11, 2015, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on September 09, 2015, 12:15:38 PM
~ Boy George

I would rather have a cup of tea than sex with Boy George....     ;D

agreed on that!

J. Penn

"The progress of this famous plant has been something like the progress of truth; suspected at first, though very palatable to those who had the courage to taste it; resisted as it encroached; abused as its popularity spread; and establishing its triumph at last, in cheering the whole land from the palace to the cottage, only by slow and resistless efforts of time and its own virtues."

- Isaac Disraeli

J. Penn

"In his wanderings over the tea districts, Mr. Fortune only once met with sugar and a teaspoon."
- The Tea Plant: Its History and Uses

Mercury Wells

"You only get an Oooo" with Typhoo" The Gnu.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

CPT_J_Percell

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com

Prof. Cecily

Good morning, ladies and gentelemen.
For those who haven't read Saki's divine short story on the subject of tea
http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/Tea.shtml

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Post scripta
A few quotations:
The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured coziness. ~P.G. Wodehouse

Bread and water can so easily be toast and tea. ~Author Unknown

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. ~Billy Connolly

CPT_J_Percell

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com

J. Penn

These are fantastic! I may have the pleasure of that song's company in my head for days, though.

"Drinking a daily cup of tea will surely starve the apothecary." -Chinese Proverb

Steam Titan

Prof. Cecily

"After a fairly shaky start to the day, Arthur's mind was beginning to reassemble itself from the shell-shocked fragments the previous day had left him with.
He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
The way it functioned was very interesting. When the Drink button was pressed it made an instant but highly detailed examination of the subject's taste buds, a spectroscopic analysis of the subject's metabolism and then sent tiny experimental signals down the neural pathways to the taste centers of the subject's brain to see what was likely to go down well. However, no one knew quite why it did this because it invariably delivered a cupful of liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."

― Douglas Adams

J. Penn

"If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." – Japanese Proverb

Caledonian

"Good stories never start with drinking tea" ~thurisas

Cora Courcelle

'Tea! That's all I needed! Good cup of tea! Super-heated infusion of free-radicals and tannin, just the thing for healing the synapses'
Doctor Who
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Antonus Fudge

"What begins, Richards, with T, and ends with T, and is full of T?"
"Pray, I don't know, sir. Might it be some manner of galvanic beastie?"
"Nonsense, Richards! I am thinking of Thompson's Terrific and Quite Marvelous Tannic Brewing-Pot!"
- Anon
~ * ~

Prof. Cecily

"The proper, wise balancing
of one's whole life may depend upon the
feasibility of a cup of tea at an unusual hour."
― Arnold Bennett, How to Live on 24 Hours a Day

Maets

To tea or not to tea, that is the question.