News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Adding decorative filigree the easy way

Started by Herbert West, September 22, 2015, 04:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbert West

Found these gold peel and stick stickers on Amazon. Just the thing for adding decorative hightlights to your Steamy creations.

http://www.amazon.com/Dazzles-Stickers--Swirl-Flourishes-Gold/dp/B004UCWHZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442896362&sr=8-1&keywords=dazzles+swirls+and+flourishes

This one sadly appears to have sold out since I posted the link. But doing a search for "Gold Flourish stickers" is likely to turn up something similar.

So far I've only used one small one. But I like how it looks.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Prof. Cecily

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
What an excellent find, sir!
Thank you so much for sharing that link with us.
After all, one never has enough filigree on the arm bracer mounted portable time machine!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Herbert West

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Prof. Cecily

Oh, lovely stuff, sir!
Dear me, how my shopping list has changed since I took to steampunk.
Two years ago it would have read:
Shoes
Boots
More shoes
More boots

Now it reads:
Rub'n'Buff
Wooden flourishes
a good quality Dremel set
another pith helmet

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

ArtWench Prime

Brilliant idea!

Now... What about adding faux wood filigree to a wood panel on the back of my wheelchair?

ArtWench Prime

walking stick

Widely available plastic pieces that can be painted/gilded to pass for wood moulding on larger objects:-

Pseudo Victorian mirror and photo frames.

Snap together moulded fence/flowerbed edgers.

Some DIY places have swirls shapes in their mouldings section.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Herbert West on September 22, 2015, 04:36:02 AM
Found these gold peel and stick stickers on Amazon. Just the thing for adding decorative hightlights to your Steamy creations.

They're great for adding all sorts of detailing. 'Docrafts' have all sorts of different designs in gold and silver, including some that look like lengths of fine chain. 
I always use another glue to stick them on, as although they are self adhesive, they have a tendency to 'lift' at the ends over time.  Also unless you are overpainting them, I'd suggest putting a coat of clear varnish over them because the gold shine wears off if handled even quite a small amount, (although I have used this to good account when I wanted a slightly tarnished effect).  Clear nail varnish works fine.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Prof. Cecily

Ah, yet another advocate of clear nail varnish!
I carry it in my emergency repair kit, with duct tape, scissors and a stapler.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

ArtWench Prime

Quote from: walking stick on July 23, 2016, 11:12:44 AM
Widely available plastic pieces that can be painted/gilded to pass for wood moulding on larger objects:-

Pseudo Victorian mirror and photo frames.

Snap together moulded fence/flowerbed edgers.

Some DIY places have swirls shapes in their mouldings section.

Great ideas! Thanks!

ArtWench Prime

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on July 24, 2016, 02:57:11 PM
Quote from: Herbert West on September 22, 2015, 04:36:02 AM

They're great for adding all sorts of detailing. 'Docrafts' have all sorts of different designs in gold and silver, including some that look like lengths of fine chain. 
I always use another glue to stick them on, as although they are self adhesive, they have a tendency to 'lift' at the ends over time.  Also unless you are overpainting them, I'd suggest putting a coat of clear varnish over them because the gold shine wears off if handled even quite a small amount, (although I have used this to good account when I wanted a slightly tarnished effect).  Clear nail varnish works fine.

Couldn't find any the right size; however I did find some paper doilies that might work. Not exactly what I wanted; however, they do give me a nice raised design.

Since I'm an artist, I have plenty of acrylic medium & sealer on hand which has worked well for me when building theatrical props.

ArtWench Prime

Quote from: Prof. Cecily on July 25, 2016, 07:57:49 AM
Ah, yet another advocate of clear nail varnish!
I carry it in my emergency repair kit, with duct tape, scissors and a stapler.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I need to put together an emergency repair kit! Thanks for the idea!

When I used to work backstage, I used to have a huge fishing tackle box full of my emergency tools. Now that I'm going to Cons, I need to edit down in a BIG way! Lol!

Cora Courcelle

I find double-sided sticky tape is invaluable for patching things up in an emergency.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

walking stick

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on July 27, 2016, 06:46:13 PM
I find double-sided sticky tape is invaluable for patching things up in an emergency.

YES!

ArtWench Prime

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Mr West I've been looking for something like these for a long time, however on clicking the link they are now unavailable, Wouldn't help if they were as I'm in the UK where I can't find them at all.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Kevin C Cooper Esq on July 28, 2016, 06:18:06 PM
Mr West I've been looking for something like these for a long time, however on clicking the link they are now unavailable, Wouldn't help if they were as I'm in the UK where I can't find them at all.

Try looking in the card/scrapbooking section of either Hobbycraft or The Range.  Quite often small craft shops and craft stall in the local market have them too.  I've even seen them in The Works occasionally.  They may be marked up as 'outline stickers' and although a lot of them are alphabets or lines I've found them with clocks, keys chains etc; but sometimes you may have to cut one of the designs to get the shape you want.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on July 28, 2016, 08:40:39 PM
Quote from: Kevin C Cooper Esq on July 28, 2016, 06:18:06 PM

Try looking in the card/scrapbooking section of either Hobbycraft or The Range.  Quite often small craft shops and craft stall in the local market have them too.  I've even seen them in The Works occasionally.  They may be marked up as 'outline stickers' and although a lot of them are alphabets or lines I've found them with clocks, keys chains etc; but sometimes you may have to cut one of the designs to get the shape you want.
I've been looking for years probably, never found anything suitable.

ArtWench Prime

Quote from: Kevin C Cooper Esq on July 29, 2016, 10:32:57 AM

Have you tried Amazon.com? I did a search for "filigree stickers" and only came up with a few; but, then I tried "swirl stickers" and came up with tons of stuff. Granted, I'm in the U.S. and the phrasing is somewhat different here.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Quote from: ArtWench Prime on July 29, 2016, 04:13:10 PM
Quote from: Kevin C Cooper Esq on July 29, 2016, 10:32:57 AM

Have you tried Amazon.com? I did a search for "filigree stickers" and only came up with a few; but, then I tried "swirl stickers" and came up with tons of stuff. Granted, I'm in the U.S. and the phrasing is somewhat different here.
The only one's i saw wouldn't ship to the UK, some American sellers on Ebay want about £15 + £7 shipping which is ludicrous.

Captain Trellis

Greetings Kevin

I have been using these in the UK for quite a long time and have always found them readily available. They are primarily used for card making (I pinched the first ones from the good lady wife), but they seem to be known on this side of the pond as 'peel-off stickers'.

A generous googling should point you in the right direction.

These for example:

http://www.papertole.co.uk/default.cfm?pub=Gold

http://www.kellyskrafts.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=212

I often use them to mask brass for etching. Nail varnish over the top, then peel them off when dry. The only difficulty I have had, is finding suitably small letters. 5mm seems to be the smallest.

Herbert West

Blast it Captain, you just made me glance around my screen for a 'Like' button.

Too much time on Facebook you see.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Quote from: Captain Trellis on July 30, 2016, 07:36:23 PM
Greetings Kevin

I have been using these in the UK for quite a long time and have always found them readily available. They are primarily used for card making (I pinched the first ones from the good lady wife), but they seem to be known on this side of the pond as 'peel-off stickers'.

A generous googling should point you in the right direction.

These for example:

http://www.papertole.co.uk/default.cfm?pub=Gold

http://www.kellyskrafts.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=212

I often use them to mask brass for etching. Nail varnish over the top, then peel them off when dry. The only difficulty I have had, is finding suitably small letters. 5mm seems to be the smallest.
Thanks Captain, I'll have a closer look at them.