News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

I want to join can someone explain me how this all works?

Started by Caledonian, December 07, 2015, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

I think I have a general idea but I'd like some explanations
Passion is like a Peatfire

Madasasteamfish

From what I understand of the portrayal board, it's basically like a set of tabletop RPGs running simultaneously. When you find new a game you want to join based on the 'sign up thread'-it usually has that in the title, or "OCC" (the person acting essentially as GM will usually create this before beginning the game so you should have some advance notice) which acts as the character creation section (usually with instructions and guides as how to sort those aspects out and what information you need to provide for your character). Then you just wait for the game to start.

I'm afraid I'm not sure on the protocol for joining games already in progress as I'm not active on that particular board.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Caledonian

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 07, 2015, 02:30:00 PM
From what I understand of the portrayal board, it's basically like a set of tabletop RPGs running simultaneously. When you find new a game you want to join based on the 'sign up thread'-it usually has that in the title, or "OCC" (the person acting essentially as GM will usually create this before beginning the game so you should have some advance notice) which acts as the character creation section (usually with instructions and guides as how to sort those aspects out and what information you need to provide for your character). Then you just wait for the game to start.

I'm afraid I'm not sure on the protocol for joining games already in progress as I'm not active on that particular board.

I have experience in the RolePlay scene of sites like msparp, so I know how that works.
but I'd like information on how to join, indeed.
Passion is like a Peatfire

Stella Gaslight

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

MWBailey

No meaning to step on Miss Stella's toes, buuut... (lol)...

Pretty much, you look into the OOC of a game that is currently running (the ones that have dates of postings that are the same as or very close to teh date when you look into them are usually active), and follow what the Original Poster of the game, whom we usually call the GM or Game Master (since nine times out of ten, they're the one who came up with it, so it's effectively their RP), says to do to join,.

It's usually a good idea, however, to post in the OOC (Out-Of-Character) thread associated wth the RP in question, a request or expression of your desire to join that RP. The GM will usually be the one that the current roleplayers defer to to say whether it's alright or not.

Questions?
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

CPT_J_Percell

Also a little explanation of your proposed character wouldn't go amiss
I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com

Ranger Reid

To anyone reading who doesn't understand the acronyms.   I am going to try to explain this, and will say this is simply how I look at it, and not meant to be hard rules for anyone else.    But this is my take on the game:

Look at it like we are all writing a story together.    Each of us are taking a character, and generally it is bad form to go too far speaking for another player's  character's actions and speech.

We can tell about non player characters, and add to the over all plot.   

Usually the person who started the game is telling the main story, so if you are going to add a major element to the main plot, you can discuss it or any other concerns in the parallel out of character thread.

Ultimately, we are all trying to have fun, so jump in and wing it.   If you write something that simply derails the train, someone can ask about it in the other thread, and you can edit it, or we can all take it in hand and keep telling the story.