News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Muzeion, house of the muses - an art lovers home

Started by Caledonian, February 09, 2016, 08:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

Welcome to the Muzeion, a place for rambling and discussing about art.
Come show of your collection, update us to the latest facts you found out, rant about your favourite artists and above all have fun
Victorian era or otherwise!

I am Caledonian, first year heritage student. and I'll start of this thread by showing my favourite work from my replica collection:

Caspar David Friedrich - ships in the fog

Friedrich is a master of the greys and I love he mistique air the fog gives his work.
Passion is like a Peatfire

J. Wilhelm

I'm not learned in the fine arts, but always interested.  I will keep a close watch on this thread

Caledonian

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 09, 2016, 08:52:40 AM
I'm not learned in the fine arts, but always interested.  I will keep a close watch on this thread

all visitors are welcomed :D ypou surely have seen an artwork you liked before?

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Caledonian on February 10, 2016, 08:29:19 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 09, 2016, 08:52:40 AM
I'm not learned in the fine arts, but always interested.  I will keep a close watch on this thread

all visitors are welcomed :D you surely have seen an artwork you liked before?

I have an eye for contemporary and abstract art. The sculpture works of Henry Moore have moved me to carving wood and plasticine in the past.

Henry Moore, "Recumbent Figure," 1938

Sadly my only two existing samples (wood) are in storage.  They were heavily influenced by the likes of Moore's "Recumbent Figure"above, but in contrast to the wooden ones, for the plasticine/sculpey sculptures, I tended to use an intense Native Mexican colour palette superimposed on modern abstract themes (Fuchsia, Cobalt Blue, Purple, Sunflower Yellow, Fire Engine Red), as used by the Mexican followers of Architect, Luis Barragan, for 20th. C. contemporary structures, such as building designer Ricardo Legorreta.

Hotel Camino Real, Polanco (Mexico City), by architect Ricardo Legorreta, 1968

Yes the colours are real. You may only know the yellow variety.

Handbags in a local Oaxaca market

Other works I've done were exercises on different techniques, such as creating the illusion of 3-dimensional contours with pigment markers and pushing India (China) Ink blots by blowing through a straw, and such.

The two below are my work (sorry for the poor photographs - this was an impromptu post).  The smaller, "Dead Nature" was done while I was in High School in the mid 1980's.  The second one, "Dead Nature II" is a variation I pulled the night just before a Christmas dinner party in the early 2000's

Dead Nature I, 1986

Dead Nature II, 2003

Cora Courcelle

The colours of those corn cobs are AMAZING.  I've only ever seen the yellow ones over here.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

J. Wilhelm

Yellow would be the preferred type in the US and Canada.  White is the main staple in Mexico, and other colours are more of a novelty, though they are natural variations. Blue corn along with Flint Corn is often quoted as being developed by the Hopi natives in the US,  but I have serious doubts on those claims, as often blue corn is used as a symbol of Native American culture in the US and any relationship is tied to regional historical accounts. And especially in light of archeological finds in Mexico, which date Maize to at least 10 000 years ago, while North American dates are much more recent.

creagmor

Love the ships in the fog. Lived most of my life is Southern California, near the Ocean, and the artist has done a wonderful job of getting the feeling right. My favourite styles of art are surrealistic (especially Escher and Dali *), pre-Raphaelite, and Art Nuevo (Particularly Macintosh, being a Scotophil). Don't know if it would really classify as art, although it is artistic, but I also enjoy Japanese Calligraphy.

*There is another, but I can never remember his name. I think he's French and is famous for painting men in bowler hats, and green apples.       
"Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things." Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: creagmor on March 09, 2016, 07:21:13 PM
*There is another, but I can never remember his name. I think he's French and is famous for painting men in bowler hats, and green apples.       

I assume you're referring there to Rene Magritte (whom, for the record, is Belgian) and his work The Son of Man:

Now although I've been told I'm not without artistic talent by a couple of my artist friends and have plenty of ideas, I'm afraid I won't be sharing any of my own work (I daresay the pencil lines are too faint to be picked up properly anyway). But I find myself being drawn to a fair few 19th Century English paintings, such as Turner's The Fighting Temeraire

and Constable's work

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

morozow

Кузьма Сергеевич Петроов-Водкин

Spoiler: ShowHide

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

creagmor

Many thanks. Yes Magritte was indeed the artist of whom I was thinking. I particularly like his work of the mermaid, but with the usual body parts of the woman and the fish reversed.   
"Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things." Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.

creagmor

Thanks to the 2nd art thread, I just discovered a fantastic Polish surrealist painter by the name of Jacek Yerka. There you will find links there to some of his work, or just go to his website. Enjoy.

rovingjack

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Caledonian

Quote from: creagmor on March 09, 2016, 07:21:13 PM
Love the ships in the fog. Lived most of my life is Southern California, near the Ocean, and the artist has done a wonderful job of getting the feeling right. My favourite styles of art are surrealistic (especially Escher and Dali *), pre-Raphaelite, and Art Nuevo (Particularly Macintosh, being a Scotophil). Don't know if it would really classify as art, although it is artistic, but I also enjoy Japanese Calligraphy.

I think Friedrich is a master with the greys and blues, capturing the unknown and the mysterious in a way that very few other artists have managed.

my favourite work from Dali is 'hallucinetic toreador' and I am intrigued by Magrittes "the red model". and Escher...oh Escher, the dutch mathematician...yeah, brilliant work indeed.

though my favourite styles are romanticism and realism

creagmor

I just watched the original Fantasia for the first time in a zillion years and, while I'm usually not a big fan of art deco, I really enjoyed Beethoven's pastoral symphony one more time, particularly the bit with the centaurs and centaurettes. As for the music, the last movement (The Shepard's Hymn) was my favourite  

Inflatable Friend

A wonderful thread and one I'm more than happy to subscribe to!

I'll list a few of my favorite living artists and two dead guys. I'll also prattle on a little bit about what they mean to me, coz, well. Art.

The reason for mainly listing living artists is that they're around to learn from in a very different way to the old masters and the artists of antiquity. Almost all of those listed here are open to sharing their techniques, thoughts and inspirations in the goal of helping others become better artists. While we can certainly learn staggering amounts from long departed artists it's only when we engage in a dialogue with and push ourselves against our contemporaries that we truly come into our own.

Charles Sargent Jagger - A brilliant sculptor best known for his world war one memorial works around the world. His art-deco reliefs are fantastic and really capture the feeling of the age, but the humanity and personality he brought to the figures on his memorials is what truly stands out for me. The fact that he managed to bring personality and mortality to those works against the intentions of the establishment who commissioned them is an extra feather in his cap. There's no chance I could ever afford to have one of his pieces with his maquettes going for £95,000+. No-one makes reproductions of his work (perhaps unsurprisingly) and while I could opt to get my photogrammetry on the idea of doing that to a war memorial causes me mild moral confusion.

Nic Fiddian-Green - Simply a fantastic sculptor of horses. The sheer horseyness of his work appeals to the very core of me. I grew up as a quasi disenfranchised inner city youth, but horses have always had a strangely irresistible pull for me (I ran off and joined the circus for a bit, riding horses. Fun times) and while I can no longer afford to work with or own a heavily muscled potato-brained smelly danger-beast I can at least appreciate them in art. He's pretty much the high-master of horse sculpture and that's no mean feat.

Paul Bonner - Alright, it's not his website coz he done gone let the domain lapse and I won't link to Facebook (alright, I lied). But if that link doesn't work then just go check out a google image search. Bonner does great creatures, has a wonderful eye for fantasy anatomy and characterisation. With his work for many game companies across the years he has no doubt fired the imaginations of a great many people. Plus he's a nice guy! Winner!

Sophie Ryder - A cracking sculptress who does some very wonderful work in a variety of mediums. Her traditional sculpts are great (and there's a few I'd love miniatures of) but it's her wire drawings and wire sculptures that have the most impact in person.

Shigeru Ban - Alright, an architect not an artist. But honestly, they share shelf space in many libraries and book shops so we'll let it slide. Shigeru's work was a major inspiration when I decided to go study architecture and he continues to be just damnably great at what he does. Light, playful and respectful. Greatness.

Chris Foss - An airbrush god whose spaceships and scenes jump off the page and pretty much came to define the look of Sci-Fi for many many people over decades. Back in my callow youth his work made me want to get an airbrush and learn to use it, as an adult he's still producing work that makes me want to buy an airbrush and learn to use it. There may be many pretenders to the crown, but Chris Foss remains the king of the spaceships.

Syd Mead - Another of the great airbrush deities who, much like Chris Foss, has defined the futuristic look for generations and inspired a great many people. If Foss is the king of spaceships, Mead is the king of the lifestyle. His street scenes and human scale works are simply fantastic and often speak of a slickly hopeful, positive view of the future that recent years and societies current obsession with dystopias and apocalyptic scenarios seems to have sadly forgotten.

James Gurney - If you haven't read the Dinotopia books then stop reading this and go buy them. Most of them have been expanded and reprinted as 20th anniversary editions so there's really no reason not to splash out. Dinosaurs living in harmony with people in a veritable utopia (which includes all sorts of great technology), what's not to like?. Look, just go buy it. His two art theory books are also cracking and are highly recommended reading, as is his linked blog which is updated daily with thoughts, tutorials and articles on a wide selection of artists and styles. 

Victor Ambrus - Probably best known to the UK audiences for his visualization work on Time Team, bringing the past to life with a flurry of pastels and a wonderful style, his loose chaotic work as always reminded me a bit of Rackham, but with much bolder colours.

Hugo Pratt - The other dead guy in the list, Pratt was a fantastic artist who worked in a wide range of mediums. Most famous for his Corto Maltese stories he's known widely through mainland Europe. Pratt's art is sublime and his watercolours were one of the main reasons I started practicing that medium. If you come across his comics or any of the coffee table art books they're well worth adding to your collection, a well thumbed copy of his watercolours book is one of the key players in my art shelf.

Ashley Wood - (site possibly NSFW) I originally got pulled into Ashley Woods stuff by his Lore series with TP Louise, then onto the various paintings that make up the World War Robot series. I love his oils and marker work, it's all loose and lovely with each stroke having a use. But, I'll be honest in that his relentless focus on nudes and sexeh scenes has bored me and turned me off his work to some degree. Still love the monsters and robots though and flicking through his art books always leaves me wishing I had the time to really get to grip with oils as a medium.

Anyway, I could prattle on all day so I'll leave it there for now!

morozow

April 1. I will tell you about Vasya Lozhkin (nearly Bob Spoon) . Real name - Alexey Kudelin.

To paint he does not know how. But you do draws of the pioneers of killer doctors and aggressive, but pathetic rabbits. You will remember his work and not be confused.

Vasya Lozhkin – very Russian author. Many of his paintings require some translation and interpretation. For example, because Pinocchio is a character of Russian-Soviet culture, almost a folk hero, though, and was partially written off foreign in, so to speak, alien to us Pinocchio. Important the slogans on the patterns, and sometimes the name of the picture. No name just a picture and the title give the satirical sense.

http://vasya-lozhkin.ru

Learn to play the guitar, all women will be yours.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

morozow

Comrades. Need help.

Look at these pictures. And write what You think about them and about the artist.

Banfili

Very fond of "Blue Rider" group, Kandinsky, Klimt, Chagall, others of that ilk. Colour, colour, colour all the way, although I do like monochrome, especially in photography. Will add the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and although Christina Rossetti is a poet I can't think of the PRB without her.

Am a modern colourist, with semi-abstract pretensions! ;D

morozow

Quote from: Banfili on September 28, 2017, 02:03:30 PM
Very fond of "Blue Rider" group, Kandinsky, Klimt, Chagall, others of that ilk. Colour, colour, colour all the way, although I do like monochrome, especially in photography. Will add the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and although Christina Rossetti is a poet I can't think of the PRB without her.

Look at the picture and tell me what you think. I harsh!  >:(

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: morozow on September 28, 2017, 02:13:49 PM
Quote from: Banfili on September 28, 2017, 02:03:30 PM

Look at the picture and tell me what you think. I harsh!  >:(
Ah ! Mr. Morozow. You can't force a critique of art like that. You need to give time to the audience to absorb and study the art. In an art gallery, you wouldn't be looking behind the shoulders of the visitors! Give it time!

Banfili

Thank you, J. Wilhelm!  ;D

morozow, yes you are harsh!  :D
I find the paintings, for the most part, pretty much the same - harsh, unforgiving, well painted, though, and very, very depressing! Suppose the match the climate, both physical and the then political and social environment. Not something I could live with.

annevpreussen

I'm by no means an artsy person, but I do enjoy a painting every now and again  :D Here are some of my favorite artists...

Also! Some have naked people, so maybe don't open these in front of your boss?

When I was first getting into steampunk and wanting to draw some characters I turned to the internet for inspiration. I looked for art styles around the time where I had set my story, 1900, found art nouveau/jugendstil, and fell in love. Here's some of my favorite work by one of the movement's most prominent artists, Alphonse Mucha.

Gustav Klimt is another artist from (kind of) around that time, and also happens to be one of my mom's favorite artists. I really like the University of Vienna ceiling paintings, which were sadly destroyed.

The person I'd consider my favorite favorite artist is a student of Klimt's, Egon Schiele. I really like the twisty lines and distorted bodies, and the way he makes hands look like tree roots. Also extra NSFW warning because this dude really liked nudes.

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.

Miranda.T

Quote from: annevpreussen on November 03, 2017, 09:19:43 PM
I'm by no means an artsy person, but I do enjoy a painting every now and again  :D Here are some of my favorite artists...

Also! Some have naked people, so maybe don't open these in front of your boss?

When I was first getting into steampunk and wanting to draw some characters I turned to the internet for inspiration. I looked for art styles around the time where I had set my story, 1900, found art nouveau/jugendstil, and fell in love. Here's some of my work by one of the movement's most prominent artists, Alphonse Mucha.

Gustav Klimt is another artist from (kind of) around that time, and also happens to be one of my mom's favorite artists. I really like the University of Vienna ceiling paintings, which were sadly destroyed.

The person I'd consider my favorite favorite artist is a student of Klimt's, Egon Schiele. I really like the twisty lines and distorted bodies, and the way he makes hands look like tree roots. Also extra NSFW warning because this dude really liked nudes.

I do love Art Nouveau and especially Mucha. We have a book of his work somewhere which I must admit I haven't looked through in ages; thank you for putting me in mind of this, I shall have to go a find it out and have a happy hour flicking through it (and maybe fantasising about a few new outfits...)

Yours,
Miranda.

J. Wilhelm

I hate to throw something as unoriginal as an Andy Warhol-style portrait at you. But I was playing with my phone and I had too much time on my hands.

Symmetry in Technicolor; A Portrait of the Author, 2017
(Right click to zoom in most browsers, in Microsoft IE right click to see "properties" to extract image URL)

JW

morozow

I'll work as a necromancer.

Stanislav Plutenko. "Waiting airship." 2010-ies.