News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Going to paris, where should i go?

Started by Caledonian, February 22, 2016, 07:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

Going to paris as a accademy trip. We have a stuffed program but we have free hours in the evening and around lunch. Any (steampunky) places i should not miss?
Passion is like a Peatfire

Keith_Beef

Try to find time to eat at Chartier... go early evening, like around 18h30 or so, because later in the evening the line outside to get a seat is ridiculously long.

The food is relatively inexpensive and the decor is authentically 19th century.

Then there is the Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers museum, even the Metro station is clad in brass with great big rivets.
--
Keith

Caledonian

Quote from: Keith_Beef on February 23, 2016, 07:01:21 PM
Try to find time to eat at Chartier... go early evening, like around 18h30 or so, because later in the evening the line outside to get a seat is ridiculously long.

The food is relatively inexpensive and the decor is authentically 19th century.

Then there is the Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers museum, even the Metro station is clad in brass with great big rivets.

That museum is already on the program!
I will try and convince some people to eat there too! It sounds great!
Thank you!!

Inflatable Friend

I'm a fan of tracking down the best looking art shops I can find whenever I visit a city, there are some pretty cool places in Paris.

I'd try and check out  Magasin Sennelier.

It's served Cezanne, Degas, Picasso and many many more, plus the place looks a treat on the eyes.

Hez

Isn't there a giant flea market?

If you time - get lost.  Seriously take a phone with GPS so you can get back and just wander around the older parts of the city and poke your nose into courtyards and odd corners.

Keith_Beef

Quote from: Hez on February 27, 2016, 07:04:58 AM

If you time - get lost.  Seriously take a phone with GPS so you can get back and just wander around the older parts of the city and poke your nose into courtyards and odd corners.

You don't need a GPS in Paris, seriously. It's a small city.

If you get lost, you just ask somebody the way to the nearest Metro station and use the maps of the network and the neighbourhood to get to wherever you want.
--
Keith

Caledonian

Quote from: Keith_Beef on February 27, 2016, 08:17:08 AM

If you get lost, you just ask somebody the way to the nearest Metro station and use the maps of the network and the neighbourhood to get to wherever you want.

I'm sorry but my knowledge of the french language is not much more than " bonjour, je m'appelle Elodie, je ne parlais pas francais, je n'ai acune idee, parlez vous anglais?"

i will need gps for geocaching anyway.

morozow

Quote from: Caledonian on February 27, 2016, 08:49:44 AM
Quote from: Keith_Beef on February 27, 2016, 08:17:08 AM

I'm sorry but my knowledge of the french language is not much more than " bonjour, je m'appelle Elodie, je ne parlais pas francais, je n'ai acune idee, parlez vous anglais?"

i will need gps for geocaching anyway.

My experience is that it did.

Pardon, Merci, Tiket. Prais.

And that's with my Russian pronunciation. Although maybe thanks to him, people were forgiving.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?