News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

A Splendid Day Out, Morecambe 4th - 5th June

Started by Cora Courcelle, May 25, 2016, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cora Courcelle

We've been to several of these now and although they aren't large they are friendly and fun, so if you're in the area it's worth a visit (well, any excuse to dress up really!)
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Miranda.T

Unfortunately we'll be at the opposite end of the country that weekend. We've just been to Morecambe once and enjoyed its examples of 1930s architecture, although like many seaside resorts the flight of the UK holidaymaker to warmer shores had clearly taken its toll. However, that was nearly 20 years ago, so maybe the town has found ways to regenerate itself since then?

Yours,
Miranda.

Cora Courcelle

No.

Well, to be fair they are trying, and the promenade is nice to stroll along; the Midland Hotel has been totally renovated too and the Platform (the old railway station) is a lovely venue for the event but I'm afraid the overall impression is still one of faded glory and closed businesses, while the funfair is a semi-derelict site behind hoardings.  It's a pity but having said that, there do always seem to be a fair few folk out and about there, so perhaps there's hope for it yet.

Regards,
Cora
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Miranda.T

Dear Cora,
That's a shame. If I was in the council up there I think I'd really try to tap into the vintage trend, as that is so big at the moment. They have the architecture, they could re-open the fair with a majority of 50s/60s style attractions and really push the town by putting on vintage and alternative events. The Splendid Day Out could be leading the way...

Yours,
Miranda.

Cora Courcelle

The funfair was owned by the same family who own Blackpool Pleasure Beach and also used to own Southport Funfair (which they also closed down).  Perhaps it was a case of 'we want to get everyone to come too the biggest attraction where we will automatically be able to separate them from the most money', which Blackpool does very efficiently!  And Blackpool also has the Illuminations, of course, which provide even more potential customers. 
I've always thought that Morecambes strongest point is that it's NOT Blackpool and when they eventually finish the new link-road from the M6 to Heysham it will be interesting to see how Morecambe develops.  At the moment one has to drive through Lancaster - hell - or go even further up M6 and drive back through Carnforth.

Cora Courcelle

Just an update on this.
The BBC were there filming for their magazine programme 'Inside Out' and, I understand, intend to show it on 10th October.  As it's a regional programme you'd have to catch it on I-player unless you live in the north west.

The next Splendid Day Out weekend is 22nd and 23rd October.  Well worth a visit if you're in the area; we hope to be there on the Sunday.

Miranda.T

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on May 25, 2016, 10:21:32 AM
We've been to several of these now and although they aren't large they are friendly and fun, so if you're in the area it's worth a visit (well, any excuse to dress up really!)

Well, I finally found a moment to have a look at the details for this - and was pretty impressed with the range of things going on. I was rather less impressed with myself for leaving it so long - everything for June is sold out  :(.

So, could I please ask - are there a similar range of activities during the October weekend? If so, I'm going to be keeping a much closer eye on their website.

Yours,
Miranda.

Cora Courcelle

Actually the site is a bit misleading as although tickets for the ball and the 'full weekend' have sold out actually there are still tickets for the Friday night and for the extra event at the Winter Gardens on Saturday night, just scroll down to Gullys Garden Party, (which we are going to as we left it too late for the ball - they were all gone at the beginning of January, which is why the SDO folk organised something else as well). I'm fairly sure there are still fashion show tickets too.  For the rest, well it's pay on the door to get into the steampunk market and most everything else is FREE on the prom outside The Platform or on the promenade itself.  The full weekend tickets gave you a bit of a discount if you were going to everything but that's all - and admission to the market is only £2 or £3 pounds and for the first time I believe it's expanded to two venues.
We are just staying on Saturday night in June, but will be taking advantage of the events on both days.

The October weekend does not offer quite so much in the way of free outside entertainment and I think the market may be a little smaller too; last year we just went up for one day, but we're only about 60 miles away so that's do-able.

It's great fun and I'd recommend it to anyone.  It's also great to promenade along the Promenade.

The dates this year are Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th June 2017.

Miranda.T

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on March 05, 2017, 04:17:42 PM
Actually the site is a bit misleading as although tickets for the ball and the 'full weekend' have sold out actually there are still tickets for the Friday night and for the extra event at the Winter Gardens on Saturday night, just scroll down to Gullys Garden Party, (which we are going to as we left it too late for the ball - they were all gone at the beginning of January, which is why the SDO folk organised something else as well). I'm fairly sure there are still fashion show tickets too.  For the rest, well it's pay on the door to get into the steampunk market and most everything else is FREE on the prom outside The Platform or on the promenade itself.  The full weekend tickets gave you a bit of a discount if you were going to everything but that's all - and admission to the market is only £2 or £3 pounds and for the first time I believe it's expanded to two venues.
We are just staying on Saturday night in June, but will be taking advantage of the events on both days.

The October weekend does not offer quite so much in the way of free outside entertainment and I think the market may be a little smaller too; last year we just went up for one day, but we're only about 60 miles away so that's do-able.

It's great fun and I'd recommend it to anyone.  It's also great to promenade along the Promenade.

The dates this year are Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th June 2017.

Thank you - somehow I'd managed to completely miss looking down the page. Unfortunately the Garden Party would not be so interesting to our offspring as they are really not into the music side of things (we could probably have persuaded them with the meal part of the Masquerade Ball). I'll keep and eye on their website for details of the October event.

Thanks again,
Miranda.