News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

...and my axe.

Started by Herbert West, July 28, 2016, 08:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbert West

I posted this yesterday in my Lovecraft thread. Then it occurred to me that it would fit in better here. So let me present my first ever creation in EVA foam and wood. I call it the Foxtail Axe. :)

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

morozow

great! just like a real
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Maets

Banfili

I (seeing that I make stuff in wood) would make a wooden blade, and silver it. But I like it, Mr West, I really do!

Herbert West

Wood would work, but I'm finding foam is easier to shape and work with, cheaper, lighter, and there's less risk of bonking someone with the end.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Fairley B. Strange

Really love the handiwork and the detailing, but because everything else about it looks so real, my practical side has to ask - isn't the head on backwards to the curve of the handle?

Unless you are going to use the spike side more?

<pic related>

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_axe_labelled-2edit.svg
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Banfili

Quote from: Herbert West on July 29, 2016, 08:36:19 AM
Wooe would work, but I'm finding foam is easier to shape and work with, cheaper, lighter, and there's less risk of bonking someone with the end.

Mr West, I thought bonking people with the end was the idea! ;D

von Corax

Quote from: Fairley B. Strange on July 29, 2016, 01:11:02 PM
Really love the handiwork and the detailing, but because everything else about it looks so real, my practical side has to ask - isn't the head on backwards to the curve of the handle?

Unless you are going to use the spike side more?

<pic related>

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_axe_labelled-2edit.svg

My inner farm boy had noticed that as well, but was reluctant to say anything.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Herbert West

I put a LOT of thought into which way the handle should go, and eventually decided it looked better this way. At least to me. And it makes it easier to fling. :)

Plus... IT'S FANTASY GUYS!   ;)

von Corax

... Hence my reluctance to say anything.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Herbert West

No problem deciding which way the handle should face on my current commission. ;)

Herbert West

Another great technique you can do with foam is etching, using just an Xacto blade, and a heat gun.

Herbert West

Well the Viking axe is finished. I thought I'd finish it sooner, but it took just as long as the first one. It' just looks a bit better, and I made some more mistakes that I learned from.

The handle is wrapped in kangaroo leather. A bit too thin, but all I had on hand. Otherwise my only disappointment are the triangle shapes on the axe head. But, thats what the customer wanted, so...

I think I'm gonna make one more for myself.

Herbert West

I finally realized what was bugging me about the Viking axe, so I chopped off the end, re-sculpted, and re-drilled a mounting hole, so now it looks more like the real thing. Here it is hanging up to dry.

Herbert West

After some modifications, I'm finally happy with how the blade looks.

Hez

I'd certainly let you steal my sheep if you waved it at me.