News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Queer Geer Mk. II: A club for the LGBQT+ crowd and friends

Started by J. Wilhelm, July 31, 2016, 04:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cora Courcelle

Trying to build a time machine - it must be working because the days seem to go by so quickly (although some of the hours seem to last forever!)
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Mme. Ratchet

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 17, 2017, 07:27:40 PM
Trying to get a second job, considering a move to a new place, dealing with a broken molar and trying to get a hold of a very elusive yet beautiful Fräulein whom I want to date... Busy.

Sorry to hear about your broken molar. I hope it all gets worked out! Also, I do hope you're aware that the term "Fraulein" in modern German is considered dis-respectful and offensive (though it would be period for Steampunk purposes!).

MoonlitRain

Hello! I suppose I had better officially join this thread since I would say that I qualify as queer. I feel a bit silly just kind of parachuting in here but I guess it's alright. :D I have no fascinating updates on my life. My freelance writing work continues apace. I started it a while ago and it seems to have become quite reasonable to do. Otherwise I am editing the crop of photos I took over the summer.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: MoonlitRain on February 19, 2017, 03:16:26 PM
Hello! I suppose I had better officially join this thread since I would say that I qualify as queer. I feel a bit silly just kind of parachuting in here but I guess it's alright. :D I have no fascinating updates on my life. My freelance writing work continues apace. I started it a while ago and it seems to have become quite reasonable to do. Otherwise I am editing the crop of photos I took over the summer.

Not just LGBT here but also those of us who are friends - I'm married to a T-girl.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: MoonlitRain on February 19, 2017, 03:16:26 PM
Hello! I suppose I had better officially join this thread since I would say that I qualify as queer. *snip*

Welcome Moonlit Rain! Feel free to jump in. That's what this thread is for.

Quote from: Mme. Ratchet on February 18, 2017, 10:14:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your broken molar. I hope it all gets worked out! Also, I do hope you're aware that the term "Fraulein" in modern German is considered dis-respectful and offensive (though it would be period for Steampunk purposes!).

Mme. Ratchet, I was't aware of the contemporary offensive nature of the word. I'll look up the modern usage. I just know the traditional use. Is it a rural connotation?

Anyhow, I fear it won't matter in any event. She is AWOL. Nowhere to be found. She's got a ton of things to pick up at the store, most of them her mom's, but I fear she's been sent out of Austin again, as she's been missing for a month. Otherwise I hope nothing has happened to her mom who is elderly and sick - and whom I haven't seen in an equal amount of time. That could explain it too.

It's probably all a fantasy in my mind anyway. Her mind is elsewhere. I know she loves New York City.

She works for a large pharmaceutical company as a government relations organizer/ executive and is 38 or 39 y/o by my calculations. She looks like 10 years younger - similar to me in that we both defy chronological age. She seems lonely - which I can totally relate to.

She's a communications major in 1996-1999 which makes her my college contemporary (1994-2002 in Engineering for me), in spite of our age difference. She leaves town for months at a time and then comes back to take care of her mother, something I can relate to because I took care of my grandfather (de Facto father) for many years until we had to send him to a nursing home. Everyone who talks about her says that she's a great person. And I found out she also volunteers to help disadvataged children.

So I thought that we had a few things in common and was someone worth meeting.  I just fear that by the the time she turns her head she will be alone without her mother and at a difficult age to do anything about personal happiness outside of work and money. Unless she's the a-romantic / asexual type - which I doubt, but in this day and age you never know. It's like watching a bullet train pass, and I just want to yell "stop!" "Just stop for a second and look around you!"

Pretty stupid of me eh?

Assuming I can pull it off, it'll be challenging enough with my Gender Fluid orientation / daily androgynous presentation as it is, even though most people I meet seem to be unnafected / un-bothered by it. At least she flirted with me enough not to show that she was bothered by it in the least sense. That's why I chose to "wear" my gender fluidity "on my sleeve." So that people will know as much of the real me as possible right away, and there's no surprises later.

I'm always like that. A permanent fault of mine. Hoping for the best and setting unrealistic goals only to end up empty handed at the end of the day.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on February 18, 2017, 05:24:14 PM
Trying to build a time machine - it must be working because the days seem to go by so quickly (although some of the hours seem to last forever!)

I want to get off my time machine - I've put a good effort so far. Bur on also trying to get someone else off her time machine.

Mme. Ratchet

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 19, 2017, 08:24:19 PM

Mme. Ratchet, I was't aware of the contemporary offensive nature of the word. I'll look up the modern usage. I just know the traditional use. Is it a rural connotation?

To the best of my knowledge, it is a nationwide thing. If you just look up the word on Google with "offensive?" you'll see some of what I mean.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mme. Ratchet on February 19, 2017, 11:30:19 PM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 19, 2017, 08:24:19 PM

To the best of my knowledge, it is a nationwide thing. If you just look up the word on Google with "offensive?" you'll see some of what I mean.

Still somewhat unclear. Even among Germanic folk. Apparently the term is not offensive per social status, but rather controversial as it is considered sexist by some.  Somewhat analogous to the usage of the title Mrs. versus the use of the title Ms. and somewhat similar to calling someone "little lady, " which some might consider politically incorrect.

Coincidentally while waiting in line at the supermarket last month, some older gentleman behind me called me "Smart little lady" after I was explaining to the cashier why I was carrying an umbrella in a sunny day (I use it as a parasol when I walk 5 miles) :D I took no offence to the remark as I definitely have a somewhat feminine semblance, depending. I may receive similar comments 3 to 5 times per year, mostly from older males, who seem more confused than other age groups. From younger people I usually just get friendly smiles, and conversation is very natural and relaxed once I engage them in conversation. Most young people are not confused about my gender, and intuitively seem to know where I stand (that is called ~education~). Middle age women are most curious and ask questions. It probably means I'm doing something right   ;)

The propriety of the word Fraulein is more an issue of Feminism vs traditional sexism, according to the first few entries I read:

http://german.stackexchange.com/questions/966/why-is-fr%C3%A4ulein-considered-offensive-as-opposed-to-frau

Fräulein is a diminutive ('Verniedlichungsform') of Frau.

Diminution is considered an intimate act, used a lot with nicknames couples give each other (Häschen, Mäuschen, Bienchen, Bärchen) or for "lovely little beings" like children and pets. So using Fräulein has a touch of intimacy not convenient to many women.

Addressing an unkown woman as Fräulein can be considered as impolite as using Du without having been offered it. The word Fräulein was particularly used to call waitresses and other female assistance in service jobs (not necessarily a bad status, even a female manager of an hotel would be a Fräulein).

Etymology of the word

Until the beginning of the 19th century the word Frau was only used for royal women, a Fräulein was their female child. Within the 19th century the word meaning changed and became used for women having a profession. This usually ended with marriage (in some cases, e.g. female teachers, you had to be unmarried to work). This indicated that a Fräulein was unmarried and "free to go". This part of the name didn't change even when getting very old as long as you didn't marry (and gave up the profession).

The usage of Fräulein is discouraged by the state since 1972 in Germany. In the same decade the feministic movement pointed out that using the diminutive form changes the gender of the word from female to neutrum, this can be considered equally to not acknowlidging the gender of a person but is felt by many as a philosophical question. Since most of the time diminutives are used to address pets and children, the conclusion that Fräulein are not seen as independent and self-determined beings can't be disproved.

And then the following debate ensued among some germanic fellows :

Recently meaning "45 years" here. – user unknown Jun 4 '11 at 2:54

"touch of intimacy"? If this were Wikipedia, I'd slap "original research" on it. Here, I call it speculation. – Jürgen A. Erhard Jun 15 '11 at 1:35

I made a logical chain, is there something not clear for you or an assumption in the chain you'd like to discuss? – Samuel Herzog Jun 15 '11 at 20:10

Just as a warning for people reading this: This answer is just wrong. There is nothing intimate about calling someone ,,Fräulein Müller". Also, as correct answers have pointed out, this used to be the correct way to address an unmarried woman. It is just not used anymore, for reasons that also have been pointed out. – Carsten S Sep 10 '13 at 10:14

@CarstenSchultz Please give arguments for your comment, help to improve the answer and don't forget the bigger picture (we're talking about at least Germany, Austria and Switzerland and we are talking about the current point of language development) of the language. I know that using Fräulein was common, but it isn't anymore and I tried to lay out the reasons. Your phrasing implies absolute knowledge ('just wrong', 'nothing intimidating') but without argument it seems to be just biased. Thank you. – Samuel Herzog Sep 16 '13 at 18:16

And also the entry in Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A4ulein

QuoteFräulein is the diminutive form of Frau, which was previously reserved only for married women. Frau is in origin the equivalent of "Mylady" or "Madam", a form of address of a noblewoman. But by an ongoing process of devaluation of honorifics, it came to be used as the unmarked term for "woman" by about 1800. Therefore, Fräulein came to be interpreted as expressing a "diminutive of woman", as it were implying that a Fräulein is not-quite-a-woman.

By the 1960s, this came to be seen as patronising by proponents of feminism, and during the 1970s and 1980s, the term Fräulein became nearly taboo in urban and official settings, while it remained an unmarked standard in many rural areas. This process was somewhat problematic, at least during the 1970s to 1980s, since many unmarried women of the older generation insisted on Fräulein as a term of distinction, respecting their status, and took the address of Frau as offensive or suggestive of extra-marital sexual experience.

Since the 1970s, Fräulein has come to be used less often, and was banned from official use in West Germany in 1972 by the Minister of the Interior.[2] Nowadays, style guides and dictionaries recommend that all women be addressed as Frau regardless of marital status, particularly in formal situations.[3][4] A newsletter published on the website of the German dictionary Duden in 2002, for instance, noted that women should only be addressed as Fräulein when they specifically request this form of address.[5]

Despite its less common everyday use nowadays, Fräulein has seen a revival in recent years as a vogue term, especially in popular culture. [6][7] The term has also seen a rise in use by antiquarians, traditionalists and reactionaries.

Certainly I don't wish to appear as a "reactionary" of some sort - I don't have the genetics or political mind for it  :P Perhaps an antiquarian or a traditionalist in the context of Steampunk. Certainly don't wish to offend anyone. I think it depends on the context and place where you use it.

As an aside and as an example of meaning variation within contexts, the usage of the word "Indio" ("Indian") in Latin America can be extremely offensive depending on location and context. I imagine you already know that among European and North Americans, especially English speaking people, the term is inappropriate and considered offensive in the sense of cultural misappropriation and mislabeling.

In Spanish speaking countries, especially Latin America, the term "Indio" is offensive enough to be considered racially derogatory as it equates colour of skin with social class status, especially when used as a qualifier of some sort; similar to saying the "N" word in American English. But if you refer to a particular civilisation or tribe then it may not be. For example, the terms "Indio Yaqui" - "Yaqui Indian" in vernacular or "Indigenas Mexicanos" - "Indigenous Mexicans" in scholarly texts, are not considered offensive (at least as of the end of the 20th. C when I left Mexico).

Mme. Ratchet

I dunno, every German woman I ever referred to as Fraulein got mad at me, one slapped me, and one refused to speak to me again until I apologized to her auf Deutsch. So I don't use the term anymore, especially after reading several statements to the effect that it was frowned upon/offensive.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mme. Ratchet on February 20, 2017, 07:46:44 AM
I dunno, every German woman I ever referred to as Fraulein got mad at me, one slapped me, and one refused to speak to me again until I apologized to her auf Deutsch. So I don't use the term anymore, especially after reading several statements to the effect that it was frowned upon/offensive.

Interesting. So I take it that you've had lots of dealings with German women? Did you live in Germany (e.g. military station in Germany)?

(Well this is a Texan German I'm talking about... so it all may be a moot point).

J. Wilhelm

Perhaps a German member of Brassgoggles can clarify this issue?

Mme. Ratchet

Nope, don't live in Germany. Just have a lot of German friends, quite a few I met via foreign exchange at school.

Mme. Ratchet

Would anyone mind if I vented a lot of frustrations I've had of late?

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mme. Ratchet on February 20, 2017, 08:49:11 AM
Would anyone mind if I vented a lot of frustrations I've had of late?

I don't see why not, though the thread seems to be deserted at the moment. As long as it's somewhat relevant to the subject. For crying on friendly shoulders, we also have Dragon Tamers thread, which while dedicated to Depression, Anxiety and all related disorders, has become a de Facto phychoanalysis thread.

Mme. Ratchet

Never mind, then. Not like it matters anyways. It won't do anything. :/

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mme. Ratchet on February 21, 2017, 08:15:12 AM
Never mind, then. Not like it matters anyways. It won't do anything. :/

Don't get discouraged. It happens to me too often, and it's an exercise in self-defeat. My life is ridiculously difficult right now, and I'm still alive. I just wish I wasn't alone. I know getting myself a mate will give me a reason to live.

PS
Again, for complaints and lamentations on matters gender, sex (and perhaps dating as we don't have a proper dating thread), perhaps this is the right place. For more general life complaints the Dragon Tamers is open as well.

I've been meaning to open a dating thread - but I forget if we had issues with the one we had years ago. It used to be a very popular thread, but perhaps all the young people have gone to Facebook now. The thread became too long and I remember was closed. Also a Psychology thread sometimes seems badly needed - but as most issues phychological are in the depression/anxiety quadrant that thread takes all those typed of complaints.

MoonlitRain

It's always a challenge, this life so you ought to feel free to vent Mme. Ratchet. Also in reference to what I said earler, my sexuality is (like most people's) a mosaic and while I would have once stated that I was strictly a gay male, now I think queer more adequately encompasses me as a term. Self-definition is a pain sometimes!

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: MoonlitRain on February 21, 2017, 03:14:55 PM
Self-definition is a pain sometimes!

I am me.  I am unique.  Anything that others can't cope with is their problem  :)

Mme. Ratchet

I'm frustrated with a multitude of things. Only a couple are actually related to LGBT subjects. Most are related to Steampunk at large, creativity, myself, etc.

J. Wilhelm

I'm reminded that I never updated my Luftshiffengel uniform photos. The last photo I had posted -see photo below on the left- was of "Version 3 Model E" without the Ledehosen braces (US: suspenders) or the insignia which had not arrived. I wore a pair of standard elastic braces. I also did not use a ribbon, but rather a lace as a tie.

On the right hand side is the final version (minus the belt *facepalm*). This costume has already been out twice in public. Once in Halloween and the second time (albeit wearing black pants over the shorts) was worn at the Gaming Expo of the South by Southwest Festival (SXSW 2017) just one week ago.

The insignia shoulder blades are fastened with snap buttons for easy removal and servicing. The Coat of Arms is sewn into the suede Lederhosen breastplate, and the braces fasten to large brass buttons, strategically placed on the shorts. Not shown is the reverse of the high waisted shorts which have corset like lacing and an intricate nautical knot done with the white laces to keep the length of the laces short, and which is directly below the lacing for the corset. The champagne coloured laces for the corset are actually tied to the front under the shorts - otherwise the lacing becomes far too long and unwieldy. Instead I use the white lacing for the decorative knot in the back as it gives a much nice contrast. The cape coat / kilt or black pants terminate the outermost layer, in case of inclement weather. Shown is a fresh new pair of boots.

Believe it or not this is my THIRD pair of boots (I have worn out the previous two) since I originally ordered the boots for the uniform - sadly the natural brown suede built-in "spats" on the boots have been discontinued in favour of brown sueded cloth  :-\ Nothing I can do about it. But the boots now look more like traditional "duck boots."

The final "Model 3 Version E." Airship Angel Landing Party Officer's Uniform. The right hand side shows the complete version minus the belt. Right click to zoom.

It seems every time I take a photo I forget something. In the photo on the left above I had no socks and on the photo on the right I don't have a belt  :-\ I don't seem to forget those things when I'm going out in it though...

This last time I had an important accessory with it. I carry my boombox into SXSW every year and this year was no exception. It destroyed my arms by carrying it for the few miles I walked on the grounds at the convention centre and Hilton hotel, plus the other couple of miles going and coming to the bus stops, but I deem it to be a mandatory accessory, on account that it's the fastest way to meet people. Invariably someone wants to take a picture of it.

Mme. Ratchet

That boombox is awesome. Like oh my god I need one...

Mme. Ratchet

The outfit appears to be missing a few things, but that's probably an aesthetic preference on my part, and not something inherantly wrong with it.

I still want to make you a pair of bracers, by the way.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mme. Ratchet on March 24, 2017, 03:00:51 AM
That boombox is awesome. Like oh my god I need one...

It's got it's quirks, but save the lose cable plugs, it's a winner all the way. The sound coming from the subwoofer is incomparable The system is based on an old Altec Lansing PC system (back in the days when Altec Lansing was actually a high end expensive brand). The system was finished by 2011, which is the same year that Sony commissioned my Mercury Laptop. Prior to unveiling the laptop in December, I went to the Steampunk Bible Release Party, where I got to meet and partake in the discussion panel with Mr. Michael Moorcock. The Boombox was there already, and ever since has gone to South by Southwest every year.

From the start I decided to make it into a real Hi-Fi system, so I didn't take the midrange satellite speakers out of their enclosures. Instead they are embedded in two aluminium lamp shades which are the horns, and the "grills' are wrought iron, as is the handle. Both side speakers are detachable for packing. Under the iPod dock it has Line In and Line Out connections plus Video Out for the iPod. The Bass, Treble and Volume controls are at the top, plus headphone jack as well.

The system has its native 2 channel + subwoofer amplifier, connected to a selector switch with Line In, or the iPod dock. Both Line In signals are passed through a pre-amplifier which I designed and built myself to bring up the line level (1V at 1mA) Hi-Fi line input up to the PC "Line In/Mic" based on the voltage of low power amplifier chips in old motherboards (i.e. LM 386 and the like). For the pre-amplifier, I designed to have an absolute flat frequency response past the 20 KHz mark, thanks to a cutoff frequency of 100 KHz using LM 1458 (dual LM 741) op amps. The circuit which I had tested before was based on a high quality Binaural experimental microphone I built in the 1990s ( I used to build surround sound amplifiers in my late High School years in the late 1980s, and then I turned to Binaural / 3D sound theory in college in the mid 90s.

Three power transformers are in the "power box," with 13 VAC, +9V/-9V for the pre-aamplifier and +5 VDC for the iPod. dock. Without the external transformers, it's all 30 lbs of audiophile goodness which will destroy your hand after walking 10 miles with it  ;D

I have to rewire it to make sure the connectors are all tight. That's the only thing wonky about it because the system is made from recycled parts. It is not, however equipped with a blue tooth receiver. Most Bluetooth receivers operate with very lossy low quality sound. I probably will finish the design and build a small Bluetooth version of this Boombox later this year.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mme. Ratchet on March 24, 2017, 03:02:03 AM
The outfit appears to be missing a few things, but that's probably an aesthetic preference on my part, and not something inherantly wrong with it.

I still want to make you a pair of bracers, by the way.

All outfits are works in progress. That is the Steampunk way. The socks need to be a bit darker, I think. I need a slighly more prominent ribbon tie, and and I need to keep the collar straight, apparently  ;D I may use Gorget insignia - 3 Stars for a Lt. General, as a way to keep the collar straight. The collar lapels have no pockets for collar stays.

EDIT:

This is the photo with the belt on. Sorry to say I'm the most un-photogenic person on Earth, and I have the grace of a water buffalo when posing for photos.. It takes a lot of effort to create the diffuse light necessary to take good photos, so the only way to take good photos is with the camera's LED flash off.  In any kind of non-diffuse LED flash photography I tend to look like one of HP Lovecraft's citizens of Innsmouth.  Thus I also need to get out of my house to take photos. It's literally impossible to take good photos at my place on account of poor lighting.

Mme. Ratchet

I think Zero is an amazing addition to steam powered giraffe