News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Flea market Finds: Second-hand

Started by Siliconous Skumins, August 14, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miranda.T

Quote from: Caledonian on April 29, 2019, 10:57:56 AM

an old soldering iron
to be repurposed for steampunk

That would make a great sonic screwdriver.

Quote from: RJBowman on June 03, 2019, 06:35:37 PM
Another cool book:

20,000 Leagues, Charles Scribner's Sons edition.

This is a 1950's edition, but the illustrations by William James Aylward are copyrighted 1925. It has only four illustrations, but they are color plates from paintings:

That is a very handsome book; would you say the paintings influenced the Disney film?

Yours,
Miranda.

RJBowman

Quote from: Miranda.T on June 04, 2019, 06:32:38 PM
Quote from: RJBowman on June 03, 2019, 06:35:37 PM
Another cool book:

20,000 Leagues, Charles Scribner's Sons edition.

This is a 1950's edition, but the illustrations by William James Aylward are copyrighted 1925. It has only four illustrations, but they are color plates from paintings:

That is a very handsome book; would you say the paintings influenced the Disney film?

Only if the painter was a time traveler. They were painted in the 1920's. The edition was still in print into the 1950's, and it isn't impossible that Disney's people were influenced by the paintings.

RJBowman

There is an old building in my town with a sign advertising a flea market, but it has been closed for at least the last two years. Over the weekend, they opened it for a clearance auction. It turned out that the "flea market" was really just one guy, and for some reason he stopped running it a few years ago. This piece was in a box of junk I bought:

It is not an original signed piece; the "embossed" seal is printed. I think that this is an advertising sheet given our by the Remington company at the exposition.

morozow

I took part in the auction, wanted to help the sellers, and raise the stakes. I only made one bet.  But I got into the hands of a small "archive", a box of old papers.

It turned out to be the paper associated with a corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Professor of the history of architecture by Bessonov and his daughter.

From Professor there are textbooks on the history of architecture 40 years (edition of 200 copies, a manuscript) . A volume with a draft of some monograph or dissertation. And pre-revolutionary notes.

From her daughter, notebooks notes when she was at University on something electric, in the 30's. One of the notebooks - a wonderful subject of history. On the back cover - tips for students in the Soviet Union of the 30's. for Example - "Never spit on the floor, it's bad and dirty."

And after the war (1948), she was a Deputy of the district Council of one of the districts of Moscow. And there is her Deputy notebook. With a record of the Affairs of the district and requests of people. When you take notes, you go back to that time.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Banfili

morozow, that's a treasure of an archive - what are you going to do with it?

morozow

Well, treasure is an exaggeration. But a certain historical value is. Especially the Deputy's notebook. There is one "epic", "battle" with the Manager of the house that he would rearrange the floors in one of the rooms.

I'll take it apart, put it in daddies and boxes, and I'll keep it. Enjoying the thought of having such an interesting thing. 

I will get acquainted with the history of architecture in the textbook. :)

And we need to "decode" all of the entries in notebook.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Caledonian

Passion is like a Peatfire

morozow

Quote from: Caledonian on June 15, 2019, 04:10:21 PM

a small book haul

Top row, third book. Is that some kind of fensin?

RJBowman

Not my photo, but I just picked up one of these from a guy selling antiques off a table in a vacant lot.

morozow

I bought on the Internet flea market radio "Integral".

Spoiler: ShowHide
Stationary transistor radio "Integral" with I-kV 1980 released Dnepropetrovsk radio factory. All-wave military receiver "Integral" with universal power supply is designed to receive broadcast transmissions with amplitude modulation in the DV, SV and KB and c frequency modulation in the VHF range. The receiver is intended for a complete set of military radio broadcasting knots or its use as a part of marching technical means of promotion. The radio reception is performed on the ferrite antenna in the range of LW, MW and telescopic ranges KB and VHF. It is possible to receive on all bands on external antennas such as "Inclined beam" or "Pin". When operating from an external antenna, the ferrite antenna is disconnected. The receiver has an external antenna and ground sockets; power supply; load; VHF antenna; amplifier or recorder for recording; phones with simultaneous disconnection of speakers. For optimal radio reception the circuit has: a device to protect the input from overload; silent tuning with adjustable threshold; switching lanes emops AM on 6, 9 and 12 kHz; the indicator light fine tuning on the station; dual frequency conversion in HF bands. For convenience, there are: three scales with illumination of the corresponding operating range; mechanical lock settings to eliminate the disorder when exposed to vibration loads; there is a standby mode to reduce battery consumption during long and continuous operation of the receiver; battery discharge indicator.

I'm in radio do not understand (sorry). And by and large I don't need it.  However, I accidentally read about it in the Internet and realized that I want it. It can be bought "new" with storage. But it costs 9,000 rubles (~ 140 $). To pay so much for a useless thing, I was tormented by greed.

So I've been tracking this receiver on the Internet-flea markets.  And caught. 3000 rubles and not far from my dacha, where he had to go.  

Bought. Feelings are contradictory.

Generally twist the handle and listen to the pleasant sound of the receiver I like.

The lack of a front protective cover, carrying strap, and a couple of buttons didn't bother me.

Now in VHF range, we have half a station, I knew. Already ordered an adapter that would listen to the radio in FM mode.

But I found interference with the receiver's power circuit. Probably burned down the power unit, it was replaced and begged the whole scheme. This is a concern, and does not affect the quality of reception.

In General, if it cost 2000 would be satisfied. And three, there is some annoyance.

But once I win the lottery a lot of money, and then buy the same receiver, but "new".

Well, in instagram, you can see how it looks -
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Mem57gIYR/

von Corax

Quote from: morozow on July 21, 2019, 10:50:21 PM
I bought on the Internet flea market radio "Integral".
[...]
In General, if it cost 2000 would be satisfied. And three, there is some annoyance.

But once I win the lottery a lot of money, and then buy the same receiver, but "new".

Well, in instagram, you can see how it looks -
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Mem57gIYR/
For 3000 rubles (~CAD$60) I'd be tempted.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

morozow

Quote from: von Corax on July 22, 2019, 01:31:51 AM

For 3000 rubles (~CAD$60) I'd be tempted.
I was tempted :). And I would be completely satisfied. If not replacing the power supply.

Caledonian

Quote from: morozow on June 15, 2019, 08:18:00 PM

a small book haul

I think your translation is a bit broken, i have no idea what a fensin is.
the book is a collection of lovecraft inspired stories
Passion is like a Peatfire

morozow

Quote from: Caledonian on August 14, 2019, 06:13:36 PM
Quote from: morozow on June 15, 2019, 08:18:00 PM

a small book haul

I think your translation is a bit broken, i have no idea what a fensin is.
the book is a collection of lovecraft inspired stories

Exactly. Error. I mean, Fanzine .  Here it is - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanzine

RJBowman

Something a friend found for me:

If you are unfamiliar with the subject, it's no surprise. The Chicago Tunnels are very little known. They were build in the early 20th century as a delivery system for coal and supplies to downtown buildings, and served that function for less than three decades before being sealed. The tunnels were originally built the Chicago way, without the knowledge or permission of most of the land owners above.

The tunnels are closed to the public but a few urban explorers have found their way and and, apparently, so did the makers of "The Blues Brothers" if you recall the scene in which Carrie Fisher confronts Jake and Elwood in the tunnels stated to be under the Palace Hotel Ballroom:

The book claims that the tunnels were recreated on a Hollywood sound stage. Of course this makes no sense given that the scene does not take place in Chicago, and it would have been unnecessary to recreate the Chicago landmark so accurately for the scene. I think that the truth was suppressed to protect the guilty.

morozow

Synistor 303

Oh, Morozow, those are stunning! As a botanical artist I can certainly appreciate the beauty in those books. Great find!

morozow

I thought I should sort out my passion for old books. I decided that I would collect picture books.

And most of the pictures in books about plant varieties and cooking.

Books of the 50s. in particular, the work of the Russian breeder Michurin.

Synistor 303

They are beautiful illustrations - sadly publishers won't pay for lovely art-work for books any more. Just as sad is the fact that the books like the ones you have are worth more if you take out all the illustrations, frame them, sell them and throw the remains of the book away!

Captain

I found this yard sailing last Saturday.  Since I was the only person to ask about it the gentleman insisted that I take for free.  I have already used it.

-Karl

morozow

Quote from: Captain on June 03, 2020, 05:32:05 AM

I found this yard sailing last Saturday.  Since I was the only person to ask about it the gentleman insisted that I take for free.  I have already used it.

Shoe for shoes? Put on the heels of ringing horseshoes?

Captain

Quote from: morozow on June 03, 2020, 07:41:59 AM
Quote from: Captain on June 03, 2020, 05:32:05 AM

Shoe for shoes? Put on the heels of ringing horseshoes?
Yes it is a cobbler stand for repairing shoes.  Our nearest cobbler seems to be about 660 miles away. 
-Karl

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Caledonian on April 29, 2019, 10:57:56 AM

an old soldering iron
to be repurposed for steampunk

Good Grief! That torch is AWESOME! do those things run on alcohol or ...?

yhs
prf mrvl
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

SeVeNeVeS

Before lockdown I noticed a black thing at a car boot. 20 quid and a deal was done.

Now stripped of paint and a quick dowse in toilet cleaner, I have a huge brass, possibly a valve from a fire station, the thread suits my other branches, not sure, with a little more cleaning and polishing will look nice, somewhere.

Lord Pentecost

You are correct that it appears to be firefighting valve but I would suspect what you have there is a dry-riser outlet valve, something like this https://images.app.goo.gl/ErC83GxCTPrNkQMcA . I would suspect it would be from a demolition of a multi-storey building (most likely a 60's tower-block).
"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"