News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Flea market Finds: Second-hand

Started by Siliconous Skumins, August 14, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Pentecost

Carboot Sale Finds

The folding ruler is stamped LNER!

"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"

Banfili

Note to self: When back from Ireland, go to Sunday markets!

Synistor 303

Around here there are no fleas at the markets, no car boot sale, only gourmet fruit spreads (jam) and artisan vegan sourdoughs (bread)... I make all that stuff myself, so not going to buy it from some stranger! The local Op Shops are great though, and Gumtree is first on my checklist for 'real' clocks and brass and copper things.

But what about the ones that got got away? I have a few (hangs head in shame) because I thought about it for far too long and then, pfwoot! it was gone! That old brass heat gun for $5.00 which would have made a great little lamp once cleaned up and converted. I still think of that sometimes... And the brass fire extinguisher - why didn't I get that??? Why? WHY!

I thought I was the only one who loved perusing junk outlets for Steampunk stuff. Finally, I have found my people. And as soon as I work out how to upload pictures, I will bore you all with my great finds!

Cheers
Rob

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Synistor 303 on May 22, 2017, 01:16:58 AM
I thought I was the only one who loved perusing junk outlets for Steampunk stuff. Finally, I have found my people. And as soon as I work out how to upload pictures, I will bore you all with my great finds!

Cheers
Rob

Welcome to the Madhouse Rob! I see you already experienced thread rift, and assisted in returning it to topic ove ron "Victorian Design!" ...
much as I love fresh, flavorful tender tomatosas well as hinges....

My Dear Lord Pentecost  - great finds! love the ruler, but what is the pumpdevice? Is it for inflating footballs?  I fear it reminds me of a french enema pump as seen on Monty Python....

yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Synistor 303

A box of plastic guns and a really neat wobbly bottle to make a proper 'barrel' on the blue plastic space gun.

A box of old medical stuff - some really weird shapes in there. The woman who sold it wouldn't look at it because it gave her the creeps. I found that a bit odd...
My desk. You can see more brass stuff on the windowsill, a good clock, glasses to make goggles with, my current gun project and lots of other good junk. Yes, I actually work at this desk. Strangely, this mess in no way reflects the way the rest of the house is kept. Only my desk is messy. Well, OK, there is one patch out the front garden where I am building a rock wall, but apart from that and the desk...

Banfili

Nice finds, Synister!

Not flea market, but op shop find this morning. Nice Scottish tweed deerstalker!!

Prof Marvel

My Good Synister -
if you cqn post a photo of the "medical thingies" all spread out  perhaps we can help!

yhs
prof marvel

Lord Pentecost

Quote from: Prof Marvel on May 23, 2017, 02:48:27 AM
My Dear Lord Pentecost  - great finds! love the ruler, but what is the pumpdevice? Is it for inflating footballs?  I fear it reminds me of a french enema pump as seen on Monty Python....

yhs
prof marvel

I'm not entirely sure what the intended purpose of the pump is/was it has now become part of my jetpack (pics to follow). The stall holder had two of these but the other one had a plastic handle and nozzle so I left it.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Lord Pentecost on June 07, 2017, 07:09:09 PM

yhs
prof marvel

I'm not entirely sure what the intended purpose of the pump is/was it has now become part of my jetpack (pics to follow). The stall holder had two of these but the other one had a plastic handle and nozzle so I left it.

Having seen a similar device knocking around my late grandfather's shed/greenhouse *I think* I do believe it's intended use was the watering/treatment of plants where a watering can was impractical or impossible to use. If it's what I think is, one would lower the nozzle into a water vessel, draw back the handle, filling the tube with water (or what have you) and then push the handle forward to squirt out the liquid.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

morozow

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on June 07, 2017, 10:02:43 PM
Quote from: Lord Pentecost on June 07, 2017, 07:09:09 PM

yhs
prof marvel

Having seen a similar device knocking around my late grandfather's shed/greenhouse *I think* I do believe it's intended use was the watering/treatment of plants where a watering can was impractical or impossible to use. If it's what I think is, one would lower the nozzle into a water vessel, draw back the handle, filling the tube with water (or what have you) and then push the handle forward to squirt out the liquid.

Look at the tip of the pump. For irrigation and spraying, usually using some kind of nozzle to sprayed water.

And there are three, as I see it, the conical protrusion. Maybe there was a hose attached? And some pimpochka next. I think this pimpochka, schmoe to have an answer.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Synistor 303

I just bought one of those sprayers aka, Lord Pentecost, two brass sprayers with brass tanks, a brass and steel blow torch and another upright bigger brass sprayer. It was a garage find - someone selling off Granddad's hoard.

I pulled apart the Pentecost sprayer (don't know what else to call it  ;) ) and there was a great brass rod inside which will do nicely as a gun stand part, and a perfectly darling brass spring. I rather think my hoard had been 'unloved' compared to the one Lord Pentecost found, as mine are in a very sad condition... thick with some black grimey layer. Took me two solid hours of polishing and half a tin of Brasso to clean it up, and that was just one small one! It there some magic way to clean brass that I don't know about? You know - dip it in this for 3 seconds and instantly the tarnish is gone...?

Lord Pentecost

Quote from: Synistor 303 on June 15, 2017, 06:31:29 AM
It there some magic way to clean brass that I don't know about? You know - dip it in this for 3 seconds and instantly the tarnish is gone...?

Soak in coca cola or white vinegar or something else mildly acidic overnight, or alternatively wrap in kitchen paper then allow that to wick the cola around the item, they still need polishing but it generally removes the worst of the tarnish. If they are oily then a clean with engine de-greaser before polishing is a must.

Siliconous Skumins

My friends know me so well....  ;D ;D

Got a visit from one of my friends, said they had found a chair in the lane behind their house, and thought I might be able to salvage it. As is usually the case with a "salvage" expedition on a dumped chair, I was expecting it to be a leather armchair or sofa waiting to be liberated of some decent leather for projects.

However, once I nipped down to their house (they had dragged it in to their yard for me) I was greeted by a rather nice - if tatty - Victorian / French style armchair with a faded greenish burnt-orange coloured velvet. The fabric is beyond saving, and the chair needs a little work on the seat springs, but it looks awesome!
It looks older than it actually is, it's a very modern reproduction which is surprisingly lightweight, but it will look great once I reupholster it.  ;D

Can't post pics yet (still need to sort out a new image host) but it looks VERY close to this one:

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Banfili

Nice, Siliconous, very nice indeed!

Synistor 303

Oh wow! That should come up very nicely - good find!

I have found there are 2 kinds of thrower-outers around here - the ones who put their hard-rubbish out with a big pink "BOOKED" sign on it, and the kind who put things out on 'display', then after a week or so put the big pink "BOOKED" sticker on it.

What this means is; when you put your old furniture etc out for pick-up by the council, you have to get it booked to be picked up. You need to say roughly what is there so the council knows how much there is, then they send you a pink 'booked' sticker. Once the pile is booked, you aren't supposed to touch it, so mean people decide what they are getting rid of, then book it, then put their stuff out with the sticker on it. Normal people are happy to see anything they put out to be picked up and used further by others.

Lord Pentecost

Latest little lot from the Otley shops,

After a little research (putting the name on the back into Google) the torch is a WW2 home guard signalling torch, unfortunately the paint isn't original, as it appears to be some sort of red fence preservative.

Melrose

I guess many of you know the little locomotive in Lord Pentecost's pic was in a part-work series a few years back. Later still a series of British locos in HO scale came out, from Stephenson's rocket through to a few diesels and electrics. After about the Mallard they become less interesting to me, but there were plenty of nice Victorian era models. It's been and gone, but a lot of these series come back every few years. http://greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/_uk/

Caledonian

Full loot of todays flea market
Special price must be this old poison spray. I believe Someone has been trying to modify it before

Passion is like a Peatfire

RJBowman

From the Viliage of Ida, Michigan city-wide garage sale; the pickings were unimpressive until I happened across this:

A book of photographs and articles published in 1916:

I did a google search for the book; they seemed to have published different editions from year to year, and it is fairly common, so you can probably get your own copy for $10-$30. I got my copy, a little cover worn and the binding failing, for two bucks.

Prof Marvel

Drew P

Nice coffee table reading/looking!
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

morozow

I bought a box of Carbolite (Russian analogue of bakelite).

Judging by the overlay on top, dedicated to the 2nd Spartakiad of the peoples of the RSFSR, the year 1959.

I visited the flea market "Chumodan". Been a while. They even moved. The new place is bright and spacious and will be warm in winter.

But before was steep. They rented a space at the former Soviet automobile plant.  They had to go through the hangar, where rented space and other firms. The smell of gasoline and potato storage.

and now it looks like this
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkz2HfdjdCn/
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

RJBowman

More cool books, this time from a small antiques mall in a suburb of Toledo:

I'm always happy to find these at a good price:

I picked them up for $5 each.
Tom Swift was a boy inventor, created circa 1910. His books were of his fantastic globetrotting adventures, in which he was aided by his fantastic (for the time) inventions.

But if a boy was not content to read about Tom Swift, and aspired to actually be Tom Swift, this book would be the for that boy:

I picked this book up for $20. It is a bit worn, and the spine is failing, but I consider it a good buy at the price I paid.
The book is packed with things to build, taken from articles in early Popular Mechanics and Boy's Popular Mechanics magazines. The projects include farm equipment, numerous electrical apparatus (transmitters, hand-made meters, motors, etc.), steam engines and turbines, boats, skis, magic tricks, and even a very primitive one-man glider. There are usually one or more projects per page. Instructions are basic and brief.

Here's a sample page:

Miranda.T

Quote from: morozow on July 05, 2018, 08:51:14 AM
I bought a box of Carbolite (Russian analogue of bakelite).

Judging by the overlay on top, dedicated to the 2nd Spartakiad of the peoples of the RSFSR, the year 1959.

I visited the flea market "Chumodan". Been a while. They even moved. The new place is bright and spacious and will be warm in winter.

But before was steep. They rented a space at the former Soviet automobile plant.  They had to go through the hangar, where rented space and other firms. The smell of gasoline and potato storage.

and now it looks like this
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkz2HfdjdCn/

That is lovely.

Quote from: RJBowman on July 09, 2018, 08:57:44 PM
More cool books, this time from a small antiques mall in a suburb of Toledo:

I'm always happy to find these at a good price:

I picked them up for $5 each.
Tom Swift was a boy inventor, created circa 1910. His books were of his fantastic globetrotting adventures, in which he was aided by his fantastic (for the time) inventions.

But if a boy was not content to read about Tom Swift, and aspired to actually be Tom Swift, this book would be the for that boy:

I picked this book up for $20. It is a bit worn, and the spine is failing, but I consider it a good buy at the price I paid.
The book is packed with things to build, taken from articles in early Popular Mechanics and Boy's Popular Mechanics magazines. The projects include farm equipment, numerous electrical apparatus (transmitters, hand-made meters, motors, etc.), steam engines and turbines, boats, skis, magic tricks, and even a very primitive one-man glider. There are usually one or more projects per page. Instructions are basic and brief.

Here's a sample page:

Perfect Steampunk finds - well spotted!

Yours,
Miranda.