News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Steamy dagger work in progress.

Started by Herbert West, August 22, 2016, 09:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbert West

More adventures in using layered EVA foam. This time to make a knife.

The design was inspired by someone elses work, though I've tried to change enough to make it my own. In any case, it's mostly an experiment.

All the parts are made from foam floor mats, and various thicknesses of craft foam held together with contact cement, then sanded to shape with a Dremel and belt sander. The whole thing was then coanted in multiple layers of Modge Podge, and Plasti-Dip rubberized coating.

The last shot is the piece as of tonight. With metal rivets added, and painted with silver Rub n' Buff, and shades of brown acrylic paint.

Still needs a bit more detail work, including more silver to make it less grungy, a few more layers of Modge Podge to smooth the surface, a coating of matte finish to knock down the shine, and brass screws added to the handle.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Banfili

Miranda.T

That's one mean looking knife! I'm looking forwards to seeing the final version in all of its glory.

Yours,
Miranda.

Peter Brassbeard

Depending on the persona wielding it, rough and grungy as seen in the last photo works very well.

walking stick

Sharp styling, if you'll forgive the pun. 

Banfili

Tsk, walking stick, bad puns are part of the genre, aren't they?? ;D

Herbert West

No forgiveness Walking Stick.  :)

And here's the finished product. A bit rougher than I would have liked, due to having to repaint the handle after having trouble with the gold paint, but I leaned a lot, so future creations should be even better.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Thomas MSwift

A good thing about this choice of materials is that it elegantly dodges legality issues!
"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."

Herbert West