News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

What's Your 1890's Steampunk First Name?

Started by Nephele, November 13, 2016, 05:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephele

Some clever person designed an interactive program based on the U.S. Social Security Administration's annual names popularity index.  

"The popularity of your name is likely far different today than it was the year you were born. Maybe you're one of those men born in 1983 and named Michael, the most popular name of the year. Today, if you were given the most popular boy's name, you'd be named Noah. The following interactive shows you which name had the same popularity in the past year and every decade since 1890 as yours did the year you were born, using newly released baby name data for 2015."

By typing in your first name, the year of your birth, and your gender, you can discover what your name could have been had you been born in other decades.  

Clicky on link below:
http://time.com/3856405/baby-name-popularity/

pakled

Alas, my real first name is a last name, so I stumped the prestidigitating machine...;)

Prof Marvel

MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

chicar

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Colonel Hawthorne

My 1990s name: Melvin.  Says it all about the 90s, really.

However, my 1890s name is a quite-acceptable Archibald.  I'd been thinking the Colonel needed a middle name; I think maybe I've found one.  Thank you, name-mistress.
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

Caledonian

Clevie

well then.
i like the today name a lot more
Adleigh
Passion is like a Peatfire

Cora Courcelle

Interesting.
My today name would be Lily - my grandmother born mid 1880's was Lilian.  My 1890 name is Jessie; I had a great aunt, also born mid 1880's, who was called Jessie.
Coincidence or ...... something more?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Hurricane Annie

Having for ever been called by my sisters name [ as one does] this damned site does the same.   Or at least derivation of my sisters name.  :-[

Elliana  is the today name and Nelle  is the 1890 equivalent

Crescat Scientia

My name is so unusual that it is far down the list and every option is peculiar.

"Cuba" is not too bad, although "Luddie" is rather odd.

Ironically, my name today would be a perfectly acceptable Victorian one.
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

Caledonian

Quote from: Crescat Scientia on November 18, 2016, 12:27:53 AM
My name is so unusual that it is far down the list and every option is peculiar.

i guess luddie is a variation of ludwig
Passion is like a Peatfire

J. Wilhelm

Ha ha! My 1890 name did not change at all!  I already have two very victorian names  ;D

Colonel Hawthorne

Quote from: Caledonian on November 18, 2016, 07:42:55 PM
Quote from: Crescat Scientia on November 18, 2016, 12:27:53 AM

i guess luddie is a variation of ludwig

As long as it's not short for Luddite.  We don't want any of that sort here!
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

xX_Lee1987_Xx

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." - Winston Churchill Quotation

James Harrison

Heh; my 1890s name would have been my actual middle name. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Will Howard

Using my real name,  I'd be Nicholas...

BUT

using my SteamPunk first name, I'd be...

PRINCETON  (!?!?!?!)
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

SeVeNeVeS

Crescat Scientia

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

Eve Korvinus

Using my full first name :
today - alessia
1890 - otilla

Using the short form:
Today - aryana
1890 - eola

I think i prefer the 1890 version of the full form, at least i could tilly as a pet form

Will Howard

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

BaronVonBoiler

According to the generator, my 1890's name would be "Stanley." As a steamer, I find this most appropriate.

madamemarigold

My 1890's version of my name would be: Sidney
Today? It would be: Rhea. (Looking at all the previous years I saw several names I wouldn't mind using.)

Using my steampunk name it would be:1890--Alice. Today? Would be Camila.

By changing the birth year and checking each decade it was interesting to see when my first name actually made the list! I was surprised! (Did not make it until 1932)

Xenos

Well, with my given birth name, my 1890s name would be Sam.

With my chosen name (and the name everyone in my family and most of my friends call me by--I'm actually debating having it legally changed, just a lot of paperwork and whatnot), it would be George.

I'm honestly more OK with George than Sam. I'd have to insist on Samuel, just as I do on the full version of my chosen name (no, you may not shorten it to the popular version for your convenience, it is my *name,* it has a meaning, and doubly so since I chose it with great purpose).

Course, know that they say about Samuel. God made man, Samuel Colt made him equal.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Xenos

Quote from: MWBailey on January 23, 2022, 07:49:01 AM
Joseph. Hmmm...

All I can think now is Jimi's "Hey Joe..."

A song I should probably try and learn.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

Banfili

Page refuses to open completely, sticks at the first half page!

However, my real, C20 names are already pretty bog-standard Steam friendly, so not much need to change at all!!