News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

what not to miss in DUBLIN?

Started by Caledonian, December 30, 2016, 02:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

I'm going to Dublin in januari, now mighty internet, where in Dublin should I go?
Passion is like a Peatfire

Atterton

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Newchurch

The library in Trinity College is worth a visit.

Dublin has many bars and pubs.  I was particularly taken with the Cafe en Seine:

There are many good pubs along Temple Bar.  Porterhouse has a microbrewery, great beers, and is the first of many I'd go back to.

The Guinness brewery tour is fun, and the view from the bar there is spectacular.

Banfili

Depends on what you are interested in and how much time you have!

National Museum, National Gallery and Natural History Museum, Abbey Theatre, morning tea at Bewley's Tea Rooms and/or lunch at Wynn's Hotel. If you are into theatre, then book for what ever is on at the Abbey Theatre, it is near Wynn's Hotel.

'Book of Kells' in Trinity College Library, although the library itself is well worth a browse - good gift shop, too.
A walk through Phoenix Park, a River Liffey boat tour, or just buy a ticket for the off and on tour bus, where you can hop on anywhere along the route, hop off at one place or another for a look around and then back on the next bus.

A walk up/down O'Connell Street, and a walk along the Quays on either side of the Liffey (every couple of blocks the names change) - north side and south side. Start at Heuston Railway Station and walk east along the quay for as many bridges as your feet will allow (although the tour bus runs along the quay, too).

January is not a really good time for organised tours, but if you are taking or hiring a car there are some beautiful drives around the county of Dublin and up into the Wicklow Mountains. Or, you can hop on a train for a trip down the coast and back.

Kilmainham Gaol and Kilmainham Hospital, St. Stephen's Green, Dublin Castle.
National Museum of Decorative Arts and History, which is on Parkgate, near Heuston Station.

My advice, find a tourist map you like, either when you get there - Carroll's Gift shops have a good one - then plan a tour. Or, search online for a tourist map of Dublin, find one you like, print it out and plot your own route. Depending on your interests there is an awful lot to see.

But, whatever you do, have a grand time!

Caledonian

All great suggestions! I'll lool into them

Quote from: Banfili on December 30, 2016, 08:14:32 PM
Depends on what you are interested in and how much time you have

We are going for 5 days for the templebar tradfest, but we will only be visiting concerts in the evening so we will have quite some time to explore the city!
I am interested in a lot of things, included but not limited to: history, culture, language, architecture, art....

Atterton

There is a church called St Michan's which has a mummified crusader in the crypt. They used to let people shake his hand, but I'm not sure they do now.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Caledonian

Quote from: Atterton on January 03, 2017, 10:38:50 PM
There is a church called St Michan's which has a mummified crusader in the crypt. They used to let people shake his hand, but I'm not sure they do now.

I'm not sure if I'd even want to do that

Caledonian

If i have to choose...wicklow mountains or howth?

Banfili

Both stunning, but Howth Head has some spectacular walks, and the train takes you right there.

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Banfili

Howth is a headland, so it's sort of a mountain, with the advantages of the ocean. The Glen of Aherloe in the Wicklow Mountains is also stunning!