News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Perfect Steampunk Car + Fabulous Land Vehicles

Started by Hurricane Annie, January 23, 2017, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madamemarigold

Love all of these pieces of steampunk "Land traveling assistance pieces" I would love to have one of each! Especially the one associated with "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (Still trying to figure out base model that was used!) LOL But afraid I would have to stick to the scooter according to coins in my handbag alas~  ::) ;D

newjack

QuoteLove all of these pieces of steampunk "Land traveling assistance pieces" I would love to have one of each! Especially the one associated with "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (Still trying to figure out base model that was used!) LOL But afraid I would have to stick to the scooter according to coins in my handbag alas

well.... actually... that all ties into this reply... there are always kit cars that you can build. a very popular one actually is the cord duesenburg which seems to be a heavy influence. you could probably find a used one really cheap. it was really hard to find this specific model, even after seeing cord attached to it or 1936, or keywording "boat tail" as they apparently made a lot of "more standard looking" models. to me... it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made with it's scooped grill, external exhausts & boat tail.

i didn't find any duesenburgs in a quick keyword search, but did find a 1929 mercedes SSL kit car selling for only $16k. if you really dig and can put the work into it... you might even find an abandoned kit really cheap. a lot of buyers bite of more than they can chew.

maybe a little more modern... woodies are kind of steam punk... i could have sworn duesenburg made a woodie

i photoshopped a radical 1930 ford tudor that's kind of steampunk (gold instead of brass) i'd share here... but you can't upload pics here and the site refused to post the pics from URLs created at 2 different sites.

newjack

nope... still can't share my pic. that sucks

well, at least i can re-purpose this reply...

i just stumbled on this in the tactile thread here

steam powered hot rods have been done already too, can't find a pic of one, but check this CYCLE (quit calling motorCYCLES bikes everyone!!! as a bicyclist, it drive me bonkers!)

this is an actual production steamcycle!

this is a funky cycle

here's another production motorcycle

and this one is an excellent concept

i KNEW if i keyworded "steampunk land speeder" i'd come up with something

but this result was even cooler and unexpected

newjack

steampunk trikes anyone?

-or-

half tracks are kinds steampunk too

steampunk walkers are a thing...

but we shall not say the words "wild wild west"! HAHAHAHA!

I was trying to remember where i saw an open cockpit steam punk walker that had a bunch of control levers sticking up... it was probably an anime

i guess the munsters were before everyone's time here

keywording that brough up "dragula"

newjack

keyword steamp[unk stagecoach and go nuts...

it appears even steampunk skateboards are a think

steampunk pogo sticks?

steampunk bicycle?

steampunk roller skates?

would somebody PUHLEEESE nuke pinterest?!!!

not a "land" vehicle... but i just had to keyword "steampunk surf board"

whatever you do... don't strap your feet in when you jump in the water... huh?

yep... steampunk snow boards are a thing too...

newjack

steampunk unicycles?

i guess steampunk is rule 36

yep... of course steampunk mopeds are a thing too...

newjack

if you want to get technical... the time machine IS a "land vehicle"

newjack

shared elsewhere in this forum by another member...

and this

which reminds me of this former land speed record holder i considered sharing before... of course... i can't find it! it was a front engined "hot rod" with 4, i believe, aircraft engines and some 1930s car for its cab

oh crap! i just found THIS lakes racer by accident looking for the one above... it's way cooler!

and i forgot about "belly tank racers" made from aircraft fuel tanks

madamemarigold

Quote from: newjack on May 19, 2019, 11:02:04 PM
nope... still can't share my pic. that sucks

well, at least i can re-purpose this reply...

i just stumbled on this in the tactile thread here

steam powered hot rods have been done already too, can't find a pic of one, but check this CYCLE (quit calling motorCYCLES bikes everyone!!! as a bicyclist, it drive me bonkers!)

this is an actual production steamcycle!

this is a funky cycle

here's another production motorcycle

and this one is an excellent concept

i KNEW if i keyworded "steampunk land speeder" i'd come up with something

but this result was even cooler and unexpected

I have literally sat and salivated over every single one and style of mobility designs you have posted and once again I desire them all! (Especially the trikes the GOLD one) ;) I can picture a big huge metal building filled to bursting with these incredible creations! Will have to point out a few to my dearest and hope for a nice surprise come Kinderclaus night maybe? holding dainty hankie up to hid my chuckling....

newjack

i'll share ONE custom idea though... as a tree hugger, i don't want to own any car that pukes carbon dioxide & monoxide etc. so it'd be an electric rod with a "tiny" motor. at the front of the motor, i'd put a plasmaspere light (blue lightning) with no radiator so you can see it's an electric motor from the front.

i can share the original my design's based on...

OK... i'm going to try and share it one more time...

AHA!!! now i know what the problem was! after reading up on the issue here... URLs have to end in JPG (actually... PNG works too... i don't do JPGs... they degrade when edited) when i returned to the upload i just did, i clicked on the BB option and got a forum friendly URL i can post directly without needing to format the URL with the pic button in the editor here.

i call my design "GOLD FUSION". it started out with the "radical" idea of chroming the frame and then i said "why stop there?"

here's a test i did to see what the front end would look like

it isn't brass... but i always thought it looks kinda steampunk, especially with the electric motor. now i just need to win the lottery to build it! the gold plating alone would probably cost a couple hundred thousand.

here's an early draft i came up with. the whole idea started as a autosound competition vehicle where ALL the windows roll down and there's tube amps in back. i realized, i had to chop it for the windows to be able to roll down after i started gold fusion

most recently, for this thread... i like that lakes racer buick with the "cow plow" front spoiler... a reference to steam trains, and it just looks like a bad butt battle tank with missle launchers (headlights)

madamemarigold

Wow now this one is plum pretty! I love the purple color! This is sure a beauty~ Def going to try to get hubby to consider it. (He is a big guy! 6'6, alas he likes his trucks)  ::)  ;D

newjack

thanks. i've always preferred cooler colors, and, as an artist (people who like purple tend to be artistic) like purple best. when i was about 3, i got in trouble because i took it upon myself to trick my grandfather into telling me how to open a can of paint when he refused to repaint my red tricycle to match his orange (not a favorite color either) and white stock car. red is a violent color and i've always hated it. grandma took the trike away to punish me.

"Awwww grandma! you just don't get it it! when i grow up, customizing bicycles'll be a thing! i'm ahead of my time!"

you gave me a great segue though. if your hubby's a truck guy... perhaps the "herkimer battle jitney" (kinda stempunkish name too) from mystery men is more his speed

i've been meaning to add it for some time but buried my reminder note

RJBowman

Drawing credited to Harper Goff, artist and Hollywood set designer, who designed the Nautilus for Disney's film and also designed Disney theme park attractions.

He also was the art director for Willy Wonka, and if you look closely at the sketch, you will sea a figure in a stovepipe hat behind the smokestack. I think that this is concept art for the Wonkamobile.

I wish I could find a larger image.

RJBowman

I was looking for a larger image and found this:

morozow

This car was running on soda water with syrup. In the middle of the car was a seat for the driver, and in front of him was a tank of carbonated water. Gas from the tank passed through the tube into the copper cylinder and pushed the iron piston. The iron piston under the pressure of the gas went back and forth and turned the wheels. Above the seat was a jar of syrup. Syrup on the tube leaked into the tank and served to lubricate the mechanism.

Such soft cars were very common among short people. But in the car, which was built Screw and Shpuntik, there was one very important improvement: a flexible rubber tube with a tap was attached to the side of the tank, so that you can drink soda water on the go, without stopping the machine.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

RJBowman

Quote from: morozow on June 04, 2019, 09:40:37 PM

This car was running on soda water with syrup. In the middle of the car was a seat for the driver, and in front of him was a tank of carbonated water. Gas from the tank passed through the tube into the copper cylinder and pushed the iron piston. The iron piston under the pressure of the gas went back and forth and turned the wheels. Above the seat was a jar of syrup. Syrup on the tube leaked into the tank and served to lubricate the mechanism.

Such soft cars were very common among short people. But in the car, which was built Screw and Shpuntik, there was one very important improvement: a flexible rubber tube with a tap was attached to the side of the tank, so that you can drink soda water on the go, without stopping the machine.

When I search Google for that text, I get Soda Stream's web site. The text is so technical, Google thinks it's describing an actual device.

morozow

It's a children's story. The adventures of Dontknow (Neznaika) and his friends. The first book of the trilogy, Nosov the adventures of Dontknow.  The wiki has an article in German. No English :(
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

J. Wilhelm

Love the idea of a soda powered car. Supercharge with mentos candy...

RJBowman

There used to be guns that were literally fueled with soda. You filled a chamber with carbonic acid, which is seltzer, and the carbon dioxide propelled the bullet. They weren't very effective, and fell out of use.

53Bash

This bike was parked outside the engineering department at the factory where I work last week.

OK, it was parked there because I rode it to work... the motorcycle parking just happens to be located next to engineering, I'm a simple assembly line grunt.

Banfili

Quote from: 53Bash on June 16, 2019, 06:08:43 PM
This bike was parked outside the engineering department at the factory where I work last week.

OK, it was parked there because I rode it to work... the motorcycle parking just happens to be located next to engineering, I'm a simple assembly line grunt.

Umm, I think it might need a bit of sprucing up, but it looks like a nice bike under there! ;D

newjack

QuoteUmm, I think it might need a bit of sprucing up, but it looks like a nice bike under there! Grin

"patina" is the REASON for rat & rust rods. clening them up defeats their puropse.

i'm reminded of my olive drab "punk" army shirt. it was nicely faded and worn, so one day, ,my mother decided to "fix" the frayed seam in my collar with a patch and totally RUINED my shirt.
"who told you you could go 'fix' my shirt?!!"

RJBowman

New electric motorcycle:

https://electrek.co/2019/07/18/curtiss-unveils-hades-electric-motorcycle-design/

Now, my first thought was what that crome-plated motor looks like.

My second thought was that is has a real steampunk aesthetic.

My third thought was, where do you put your feet when you're riding this thing?

Banfili

Quote from: RJBowman on July 20, 2019, 09:21:46 PM
New electric motorcycle:

Now, my first thought was what that crome-plated motor looks like.

My second thought was that is has a real steampunk aesthetic.

My third thought was, where do you put your feet when you're riding this thing?

First thought for the motor was 'oops, unfortunate!'
Second thought, was very aesthetic look.
Third thought, the foot-peg would have to be that small, round thing on the drive chain, below the seat.
Fourth thought, no-one with a bad back could ride that thing in any kind of comfort!

J. Wilhelm

Maybe that was a symbol for the psychological purpose of the bike  ::)

They named it "Hades". " Meh! I used the same name for one of my products before. In fact, they're using all Greek deities for the names of their electric bikes, like I did for my stuff (for Apple that is. For Android I used the Roman deities)... I doubt they got the idea for the name from my Steampunkery but it'd be funny if they did. They got the bronze coloured bits right, but I never used chrome, though.