News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Perfect Steampunk Car + Fabulous Land Vehicles

Started by Hurricane Annie, January 23, 2017, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Annie

Maybe not steampunk  or even dieselpunk. Vehicles  from  the major international car companies or custom builds from independent engineers.

What have you seen out there  that has given you  a truly inspiration spark   and a pause for thought?

Hurricane Annie

Citroen  has always  caught my imagination. This is the latest of their retro designs that caught my eye. For some reason it reminded me ot the early Pink Panther movies and moon buggies of space age sci fi
Victor-Albert Bouffort 's streamlined three-wheeler based on a Citroen Traction-Avant. France 1950s

This shot gives the contrast between the "futuristic" design of the vehicle  and  the reality of the  era it was designed.

RJBowman

Another fine Citroen product:

The 2CV is the first car that I picture when I hear the Citroen name. The prototype was developed in the 1930's as part of a government project to develop an inexpensive car for a class of rural people who at the time were barely beyond peasantry.

The first prototype was designed without stamped metal parts, with the idea that the body could be produced with stock metal-working tools at any sheet metal shop that wanted to bid on the contract; it may be the last consumer-oriented vehicle designed according to that aesthetic.

One of the prototypes was captured by Hitler's forces and brought back to Germany to be examined by Ferdinand Porsche. The Volkswagen designer was unimpressed.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: RJBowman on January 23, 2017, 05:16:17 AM

The 2CV is the first car that I picture when I hear the Citroen name. The prototype was developed in the 1930's as part of a government project to develop an inexpensive car for a class of rural people who at the time were barely beyond peasantry.

The first prototype was designed without stamped metal parts, with the idea that the body could be produced with stock metal-working tools at any sheet metal shop that wanted to bid on the contract; it may be the last consumer-oriented vehicle designed according to that aesthetic.

One of the prototypes was captured by Hitler's forces and brought back to Germany to be examined by Ferdinand Porsche. The Volkswagen designer was unimpressed.

Is that the Citroën Dianne or a earlier model ?  I recall the Dianne   on the roads in New Zealand    up until the 1980s or so. Not a common vehicle but they had their  enthusiasts. 

morozow

НАМИ-0157 (1973) prototype vehicle with increased load capacity

Spoiler: ShowHide
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: morozow on January 23, 2017, 03:53:51 PM

That  would have so many practice uses .

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on January 24, 2017, 12:42:34 AM
Quote from: morozow on January 23, 2017, 03:53:51 PM

That  would have so many practice uses .

Parking would be soooooo easy! just crawl over the top of whatever is already there!
yhs
prof mvl
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Newchurch

The Badonkadonk.

Which, sadly, may not be a real thing, although advertised for sale on Amazon.

RJBowman

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on January 23, 2017, 08:22:20 AM

Is that the Citroën Dianne or a earlier model ?  I recall the Dianne   on the roads in New Zealand    up until the 1980s or so. Not a common vehicle but they had their  enthusiasts. 

It is the Citroen 2-CV, which pre-dated the Dianne by a couple of decades. The final production version of the 2-CV ended up a little different from the prototype, with smoother looking stamped-metal body panels and fenders and two headlights. I think that the prototype is of steampunk interest because it represents that earlier industrial aesthetic in contrast to the later production vehicle.

MWBailey

Quote from: Newchurch on January 24, 2017, 10:12:37 PM
The Badonkadonk.

My first reaction upon seeing the photo (before reading the caption) was that it looked to me as if somebody tried to make a minivan look like a Dalek... Very interesting design.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

morozow

GAZ-a-Aero

A car built on the chassis of GAZ-AND A. I. Nikitin, as a result of his work "study of the aerodynamics of the car".

Existed in a single copy, blue.

Body GAZ-a-AERO had a wooden frame and metal casing, the lights were half utaplivanii in the body, and the rear wheel fairings were closed. To improve aerodynamics the car was deprived of the usual for a 1930 running boards, bumpers and fixed outside of the reserve. The car was boosted engine accelerates the car up to 106 km/h.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

CPT_J_Percell

Ahh the 2cv, Impossible to roll over when driving forward, difficult to roll over in reverse.
I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com

RJBowman

Quote from: CPT_J_Percell on January 27, 2017, 07:24:15 PM
Ahh the 2cv, Impossible to roll over when driving forward, difficult to roll over in reverse.

The suspension was designed for the dirt roads of the French countryside.

Sorontar

The Badonkadonk.

It actually reminds me of Jabba's sail barge.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

chironex

No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: MWBailey on January 25, 2017, 08:32:48 PM
The Badonkadonk.

My first reaction upon seeing the photo (before reading the caption) was that it looked to me as if somebody tried to make a minivan look like a Dalek... Very interesting design.

My immediate  thoughts wandered to Dr Who territory

RJBowman

Too much "paint it gold and glue some gears on it". I've seen much better.

heatlifer

Any examples you care to share? Im a big custom car fan especially steampunk cars.

These are another one I found:

https://youtu.be/VfJ3rB7xptY

And a bike:

https://youtu.be/Oj4HT9zUoBg

annevpreussen

I think that first car has a pretty design, but it's not extreme or extravagant enough to be super steampunk for me. But that second one!!! Oh my goodness, how does someone even make something like that? It's gorgeous AND it actually works!!!
I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.

Miranda.T

Quote from: heatlifer on June 09, 2017, 02:22:18 AM
Any examples you care to share? Im a big custom car fan especially steampunk cars.

And a bike:

Thank you for posting those up - definitely worth a view.

Quote from: annevpreussen on June 09, 2017, 04:56:09 PM
I think that first car has a pretty design, but it's not extreme or extravagant enough to be super steampunk for me. But that second one!!! Oh my goodness, how does someone even make something like that? It's gorgeous AND it actually works!!!

The one in the second post is rather special, isn't it? It looks like one its those switches should flip wings from its sides and propeller from its front to allow it to soar into the air.

Yours,
Miranda.

RJBowman

Quote from: heatlifer on June 09, 2017, 02:22:18 AM

And a bike:

Your example is good enough that I don't need to provide one.

James Harrison

If I were looking to build or own a steampunk car, I wouldn't be starting with a Mini Clubman.  It just doesn't have the panache or style about it.

That said, I rather like what was done with the interior, which looked smooth, stylish and sophisticated. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Cmdr. Storm

There's a Show on Discovery Channel Called "Vegas Rat Rods" and the Guy Who Owns and Runs the Shop Built a Really Steampunk looking Car that was Train Inspired & a Dually! the Shop name is welderup! i thin they may Have the Car posted on Youtube, so Go and Check it out!

RJBowman

The old kit cars, most popular in the 1970's and typically built on Volkswagen beetle frames, might be a better bet for building your perfect steampunk car.

Example:

The George Barris T-Buggy, available in delivery truck or more typical dune buggy configurations. The kit was built on a volkswagen or custom frame, with choice of volkswagen or chevrolet corvair engine. in the 70's, some businesses had the truck variant custom painted as advertising vehicles. Barris attempted to build a dealers' network for the custom cars, but there just wasn't enough demand to support it.