News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Whitby steampunk weekend

Started by Aubreay Fallowfield, February 21, 2017, 04:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubreay Fallowfield

For those of us not on the book of face does anyone know if there will be a repeat of February's Steampunk weekend? I understand the organisers wanted it to be biannual.
Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Rockula

Yes it is. It's on 28-30 July 2017 and there are dates for 2018 already announced too.
9th - 11th February 2018.
27 - 29th July 2018

Andy Pan Within is the man to contact.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007235926793&hc_location=ufi

Which might be difficult if you don't 'do' Facebook I know.

Here's a link to the Whitby Steampunk Weekends page which I don't know if you'll be able to access if you haven't joined Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/whitbysteampunkweekend/?fref=ts
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Miranda.T

Quote from: Aubreay Fallowfield on February 21, 2017, 04:15:45 PM
For those of us not on the book of face does anyone know if there will be a repeat of February's Steampunk weekend? I understand the organisers wanted it to be biannual.

Planning a visit?

Yours,
Miranda.

Aubreay Fallowfield

I was. I have a friend in York and I was going to stay with him and visit whitby but unfortunately he's off to Norway for three weeks that very weekend. RATS!
Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Cora Courcelle

We went to the July 2018 Whitby Steampunk Weekend and had a great time, well run, friendly, hot, then windy, then wet, but busy with some great events.  I doubt if we'll get to the next one in February2019, but we're certainly planning to attend the summer one next year.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Fairley B. Strange

Just shifted my touring schedule to be in Whitby at the end of this month.
Any tips for an international visitor?
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Miranda.T

The abbey is a definite, and the 199 steps to it (much easier going down then up...) There's a really good bus tour of the town that is most easily picked up from the harbour and gives you a great overview of the town's history. The ticket is valid all day and you can jump off and on as many times as you want. To complement this you can take one of the ghost walks in the evening. There's no people jumping out with silly masks on - again, it's the history of the areabut  interleaved with folklore. The one that starts off from the market square (near the bottom of the 199 steps) is particularly good.

There are various museums around the town (including the Captain Cook one), and of course the place is just fun to wander around, from the old, haphazardly placed buildings of the East Cliff to the Georgian perfectionism of the West Cliff. If you scampi and chips (with local Whitby scampi), I'd suggest travelling a few minutes down the coast to Robin Hood's Bay. The chippy there is brilliant, there's no massive ques and the town itself is very picturesque.

I hope you really enjoy the tip,

Yours,
Miranda. 

P.S. if you are a steam train enthusiast there's also the North Yorkshire Moors railway - in high summer they'll probably have some trains going straight into Whitby station.

Cora Courcelle

And, of course, steampunks! Best to check Whitby Steampunk Weekends Facebook page for more details of that but it should be fun. We'll be there so if you see me do say hello  - I think I'm more or less recognisable from my avatar.

As for other things to do, yes all that Miranda says but I wouldn't bother with the Dracula Experience on the quayside, it's pretty dire -so bad its not even good, if you know what I mean, and friends who went onto the replica of the 'Endeavour' said they felt it was more aimed at educating children, although the cafe was nice.
All the pubs are friendly and if you want fish and chips without leaving Whitby try The Fisherman's Wife,  halfway up the Khyber Pass (yes, it really is called that).

By the way, I don't go online when I'm on holiday so wouldn't get any posts from brass goggles after a couple of days before WSW starts.

I'm sure you'll have a splendidly good time.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Fairley B. Strange

Well, after a quick rummage at Camden Market to find some threads, I'm actually here.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1026489567544033&id=100005489974766&set=a.407886902737639&source=48

It almost feels like 'cultural appropriation' to do a flatcap&vest outfit in Yorkshire, but since all the non-SPs around the harbour are wearing the Australian national costume of baggy-shorts&scruffy-tshirt, I suppose fairs fair...   ;)
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Cora Courcelle

Is anyone else going to Whitby for the steampunk weekend next month?
We have fingers, toes and eyes crossed that it will actually be able to go ahead in some form or another.

It's sooooo long since we've been to an actual live event ......