News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Ideas for Steampunk gatherings.

Started by Stormcat, August 18, 2017, 02:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormcat

I live in the small city of Rochester, NY. We have a steampunk group here. Unfortunately, we don't really know exactly what to do at our meetings.

Yes, we like to get into costume and hang out, but I feel like there could be more fun activities we could do as a group. Any suggestions for what to do at a non-convention gathering?

Miranda.T

Just a few thoughts:

(1) Show and tell - attendees bring along a recent creation or a WiP (clothing, gadget, weapon etc.) and expound on how it was made.

(2) Ask the expert (A) - if someone in the group is particularly talented in a creative area they you might base an evening around them sharing their expertise. If possible, get everyone to bring along a few appropriate materials so they can try their hand at the activity.

(3) Ask the expert (B) - if someone in the group is knowledgeable in some aspect of Victorian/Edwardian life or Steampunk mythos they might present this to the group.

(4) Story time - pick a theme and ask attendees to create a story, or maybe just a scenario or idea, around it to share with the group.

(5) Writers workshop - those inclined to literary activities could engage in mutual support and suggestion of ideas (could be combined with (3) and (4) above).

(6) Games night - revive some Victorian/vintage games for the evening.

(7) Quiz night - 'pub quiz' type questions on Steampunk/Victorian/Edwardian themes.

Yours,
Miranda.

SeVeNeVeS

Not sure if this could apply.

Many years ago when I used to train apprentices, we had "word of the week"

Someone would choose a word and we all had to try and fit that word into everyday conversation with customers then report back the results the following week, after which a new word was suggested by the next on the list.

Some amusing results and situations.

May I suggest loquacious for a starter?

Cora Courcelle

Gin tasting? Or rum I suppose, at a pinch!
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

frances

You could try Victorian dancing.  There may be someone local to you who already does this and can give you a few pointers.  Then you can have a ball, and eat Victorian food and play Victorian games.  Wot fun!