News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Penumbral Resection Cannon, a.k.a. "Death and the Maiden"

Started by Ephriam Lunchwaiste, April 18, 2018, 08:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephriam Lunchwaiste

Among the earliest weapons to emerge from the armory of Lunchwaiste &Sons, the Penumbral Resection Cannon is particularly useful against Bogeys, Whill'O'Wisps, Kindergeists and other antagonistic beings of the immaterial realm. When the weapon's penetrating flash of cleverly refracted light is cast on such a creature, it will be immediately rendered visible for up to thirty seconds. At that time, the incorporated blade can be used to sever the phlostagenic tendrils that bind it to the hoary netherworld, dispatching the foul being utterly.

Against corporeal beings, the flash of light may be used to disorient and distract an assailant at close range, at which time the aforementioned blade can be employed to neutralize the threat in a much more pedestrian, and messy, fashion.

RJBowman

A very deadly looking weapon; bayonets are uncommon on ray guns.

J. Wilhelm

I like the fact that the bayonet's blade perforations allow some degree of aetheric transparency. The worst thing that you could do is to sever your own Alma Materialis tendrils, thereby dispatching your own living body!  :o

Banfili

That's a nasty looking weapon. Suited to purpose, though!

urgolem

The exact use of these arms remains quite mysterious.

von Corax

The bullet makes a pilot hole so the blade goes in easier?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

urgolem

Quote from: von Corax on April 19, 2018, 09:09:44 PM
The bullet makes a pilot hole so the blade goes in easier?

Or maybe the point of the cutlass pushed beforehand into the flesh (with my apologies) brings the barrel to a standstill and hence you can't miss the target ?  ;)

RJBowman

You only get one shot per charge with this ray gun; if that doesn't kill them, you have to stab them to death.

Banfili

In the late 1880s-1890s my great grandfather had a single shot, percussion cap pistol, with a little bayonet underneath the barrel, that could be flipped up and locked in place, to deliver the quietus!

urgolem

Quote from: Banfili on April 20, 2018, 01:59:39 PM
In the late 1880s-1890s my great grandfather had a single shot, percussion cap pistol, with a little bayonet underneath the barrel, that could be flipped up and locked in place, to deliver the quietus!
As a last resort.

Banfili

Very similar - grips are smooth cherrywood, I think. My brother has it at the moment. It's in bits and needs restoration, but to own it even as a restored vintage pistol the barrel will need to be plugged, and whichever of us ends up with it will need to have a collectors licence. Plugging the barrel would render it useless and valueless - I think that's why we keep it in pieces!

urgolem

Quote from: Banfili on April 20, 2018, 10:27:11 PM
Very similar - grips are smooth cherrywood, I think. My brother has it at the moment. It's in bits and needs restoration, but to own it even as a restored vintage pistol the barrel will need to be plugged, and whichever of us ends up with it will need to have a collectors licence. Plugging the barrel would render it useless and valueless - I think that's why we keep it in pieces!

In Belgium the law is quite different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique_firearms#Belgium
The two Colt percussion revolvers (revolving pistols  ;)) I own, Army 1860 and Pocket 1849, are both fully fonctional, without any licence.