News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Steampunk archery

Started by M. P. Ferret, May 18, 2018, 05:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. P. Ferret

Hello all! I'm making an archer costume for Asylum thanks to a certain person's suggestion. Now that means making archery equipment as well. I have plenty of accessories from my medieval archery days, but I don't want to bring a functioning bow for obvious safety reasons. Instead I'm working with this: a homemade wooden handle and windshield wipers for the branches.

My only issue now is how to attach the branches. Ideally I'd like to be able to dismantle the whole thing for transport. Any ideas?
Pardon my French.

Anselmofanzero

I assume you do not own a milling machine? I would mill out a channel for the wiper-bases then screw them in place.

P.S.: The pic is not working, do I need an account on image shack?

M. P. Ferret

Quote from: Anselmofanzero on May 18, 2018, 05:15:55 PM
I assume you do not own a milling machine? I would mill out a channel for the wiper-bases then screw them in place.

P.S.: The pic is not working, do I need an account on image shack?

Thanks Anselmofanzero, as you said I do not own a milling machine, otherwise that's exactly what I would have done. But I did think about cutting the handle in two, carving a channel and then screwing the two halves together.

Also I don't think you need to have an account to see the picture, let me see how I can fix that.
Pardon my French.

Anselmofanzero

Well its regular wipers I assume :) the tiny pic will do.
You could also try a dremel and a milling bit. If owned. Cutting it in half will destabilize it a bit. No idea what kind of
wood you got there, but some are quite brittle. Carving in a bed for them, in an accurate way (they should stay out same angle right?)
would actually be more difficult imo. If you have a saw....sandwhich it. Cut out the core piece with the empty spaces for the wipers,
then screw on 2 grip shells. Know what I mean?

M. P. Ferret

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think what I was trying to suggest earlier was the sandwich version. So I'll probably go with that. Also the piece of wood is from a skip and incredibly tough! Thank god I have a good saw.
Pardon my French.

Anselmofanzero

Thought you mean cutting it in half and embed it somehow, then put it back together ^^
The sandwich is the easiest way....easy and accurate. I assume you want to put them up in an angle to mimick
the outline of a real bow (like me), so it should work just fine.

Prof Marvel

My Dear Mz Ferrret

however did your archery effort come out, and how was the event?

inquiring (necromantic ) minds want to know!

yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way