News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Springpowered heavy steampunkbow

Started by Anselmofanzero, May 18, 2018, 06:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselmofanzero

Ahoi
The lady up there ( or down there depending on how fast she replies) reminded me of my bow.
Cant believe I never thought of posting it here. Its heavy, its fully functional, SPRING powered.
The steampunk look needs brass and copper, could be even more powerful without all the metal on it :p

Even got pics AND a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYwfvbTb3E#

M. P. Ferret

:o
Okay that's a serious bow. It also looks insanely heavy, but I'm impressed by the fact you made a fully functional one.
Pardon my French.

Miranda.T

Very impressive - it reminds me of the Oneida Eagle. What's the draw weight? Do the lever arms allow any let-off at full draw? Enquiring minds need to know  :)

Yours.
Miranda.

Anselmofanzero

Mrs MPF, thats my bow :> did not want to show it off on your thread, although you reminded me of it! Cant believe I forgot.

MT: No idea. The springs are 40kg each. Heavy weight limbs though. Can put an arrow through your chest though. Not all the way through,
but it got some punch indeed. There are 2 joints with springs on each side, to make sure it bends like a real bow. Believe it or not, I pulled that
one ouf of my...arm. On the fly, no plans, just the idea. Worked out well. Click the video, it shows our lil shooting ^^

AGB

Very nice. I like the laser sight too
AGB
AKA Jester, and others

Anselmofanzero

Needed an excuse to put on a pop-out-battery storage.

Banfili

Wow! Looks like something your average Klingon would like, and would pack a punch, too!

Anselmofanzero

Thanks. Klingons eh? Probably ^^ Lot of spikes. Poked myself 1000 times.

Miranda.T

Quote from: Anselmofanzero on May 18, 2018, 07:09:38 PM
(snip)

MT: No idea. The springs are 40kg each. Heavy weight limbs though. Can put an arrow through your chest though. Not all the way through,
but it got some punch indeed. There are 2 joints with springs on each side, to make sure it bends like a real bow. Believe it or not, I pulled that
one ouf of my...arm. On the fly, no plans, just the idea. Worked out well. Click the video, it shows our lil shooting ^^

So... we need to know extension to give a force of 40 x g , the actual extention at full draw, the angle of the spring at full draw and the various lenghts of string and limb to work through the turning moments. Sounds like an interesting engineering problem  :D

Yours,
Miranda.

Anselmofanzero

Fully stretched its 40kg. Overstretched a bit more. The long limbs cut the force down a bit. Lever principle.
Like I said, it was made to look cool and lob an arrow. Im ok with the power. But I already got the parts together for a
more optimized model. Just no time to put it together ^^  that one will test the shooting abilities.