News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Halifax Steampunk Market this weekend

Started by Frau Blucker, September 27, 2018, 02:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frau Blucker

If you're coming to the Halifax Steampunk Market this weekend there's more on besides us!
The weekend will be as follows:
Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September 2018, address is Square Rd, Halifax HX1 1QG.
Doors open at 11am both days all stalls open and trading up to 5pm.
Indoor entertainment of a strolling close-up magician between 1-3pm on the Sunday.
There will be a flying display from one of Amy Jo Lawrance​'s owls from her Flying Squadron on both days - Saturday at 1pm, Sunday at 4pm. This was planned to be in the grounds of the Piece Hall which is immediately behind the museum but is now going to be indoors across the length of one of the floors.
https://www.facebook.com/TheFlyingSquadron
Recruiting for the Coffee Jousting (that's right, we do things different at LSM!) commences from 3pm for the tournament to take place at 4pm on the Saturday only.
Captain Cumberpatch's Curious Creations will be donating medals for the prizewinners (silver, gold and two bronze) and one also for the Coffee Jousting Beanmaster (the host).
There will be a tombola run to raise money for a named charity which all the traders will be donating to.
A vintage tearoom will be there for the weekend selling lovely homemade cake and cuppas. We have decided to not have our own hot food vendors outside this time as there's very little outdoor space plus the museum backs onto the Piece Hall where there are other cafes for normal food plus there is a Burger King just the other side of the museum. The Piece Hall also has a food and drink event on over the weekend as well.
Don't forget you need to pay admission to the museum itself as you will be able to see all the exhibitions there as well.
Customers will be paying normal admission to the Industrial Museum itself to be able to access the traders as you will be mixed in with the whole building, the displays and the layout.
Admission prices are: £5 per adult. Concessions £4. Accompanied children enter free.
http://calderdaleindustrial.co.uk/
Please note this museum only allows assistance dogs in the building.
We do not know whether the public car parks in Halifax are secured overnight or if they allow overnight parking.
The Museum houses a collection of industrial machinery and artifacts over four floors. Some of the machines are the only surviving examples in the country and have been placed in settings to give a close representation to the time when they were fully operational in the not too distant past.
Down in the basement, the oil engine 'Sadie' provides motive power for part of an extensive collection of locally-manufactured machine tools, including lathes, drills and planers. You can take in the experience of nineteenth century Mytholm Coal Mine, learn about stone extraction and the exploitation of clay in the fireclay industries.
The Power Gallery on the ground floor illustrates the story of power generation, from the water wheel to the internal combustion engine, by way of steam and electricity. The availability of power, initially from the numerous well-fed streams throughout Calderdale, was key to the growth of local industry.
The first floor displays products that were made in Calderdale. World-famous names such as Mackintosh's Toffees and Crossley's carpets were everyday brands originating in Halifax.
The top floor is still to be renovated and will be opened progressively over the next few years. The objective is to develop and present the story of how worsted cloth is manufactured from sheep's wool.
The Museum is operated by the Calderdale Industrial Museum Association (CIMA). a registered charity and dedicated group of enthusiastic volunteers.
A great opportunity to witness the rise of the Industrial Revolution in the Calder Valley!
Square Chapel is opposite the railway station and less than ten minutes walk from the bus station. The main entrance is via the copper building next door to the Piece Hall's Southgate entrance.
They have the following entertainment on over the weekend:
Friday 28th September
Comedian Nish Kumar at 8pm, £20.
Film screening of The Haunting of Blaine Manor from 8pm, £10.
Saturday 29th September
A Northern Soul Q&A from 7.30pm
Tickets and enquires 01422 349422. Concessions available for most shows.
We are delighted to have the beautiful Imperial Crown Hotel in Halifax ready to welcome our visitors and enjoy the weekend.
They are happy to offer a special rate for our visitors of £65.00 bed & breakfast (per night, 2 adults in a standard double or twin) or £95.00 B&B for an executive room (per night, bed & breakfast 2 adults) - this amounts to a 20% discount based upon their current published rates.
Bookings can be made via telephone with their reception team on 01422 342342.
The rate will be available Friday 28th, Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th September and guests will need to quote "SP_2018" in order to gain the special rate. All bookings will require a credit or debit card in order to confirm the reservation.
.. steampunk for the masses not the classes.. ;)

Hurricane Annie

Drew P

Must not have happened.

.....as most events seem here.
I haven't been to an event in ages, but if I did I would have my phone....and my phone, as they all do, has a

camera!
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Drew P on October 06, 2018, 01:19:44 PM
Must not have happened.

.....as most events seem here.
I haven't been to an event in ages, but if I did I would have my phone....and my phone, as they all do, has a

camera!
And scrolling through 40 pages of your profile back to 2014, no pictures of your own to be found of anything.......... just saying.

Does the camera on your phone actually work?

:P :P

Frau Blucker

Apologies - I always forget to go on here and interact with any replies!
I assure you my events do happen - Leeds Steampunk Market has been running since 2011.
Photos of the events are on here https://badwisdom.weebly.com/leeds-steampunk-markets.html
.. steampunk for the masses not the classes.. ;)