News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Link to the blog

Started by Moriarty_Viccar, February 26, 2019, 10:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moriarty_Viccar

Hello, I'm unsure of who runs this site now, otherwise I would have messaged them directly.
I emailed the website some time ago and I've just managed to get back to chase this up now. I wander through the site from time to time - usually anonymously - and see what is going on. I'm dismayed to see that nothing is happening with the blog. I wonder if I could help with that?
I run Steampunk Journal and I'd like to propose a collaboration of sorts. It's an easy thing to do with no outlay on either of our sides. I'd like Steampunk Journal to become the blog for Brass Goggles. All you'd have to do is change the link to point to my site and in return, I would add regular posts regarding things we're posting about and encourage people to discuss it here. I could even add links to the bottom of each article we post.
If that's something you'd like to do, then let me know and we'll get things rolling  :)

Best regards
Matt (Moriarty)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Moriarty_Viccar on February 26, 2019, 10:00:32 PM
Hello, I'm unsure of who runs this site now, otherwise I would have messaged them directly.
I emailed the website some time ago and I've just managed to get back to chase this up now. I wander through the site from time to time - usually anonymously - and see what is going on. I'm dismayed to see that nothing is happening with the blog. I wonder if I could help with that?
I run Steampunk Journal and I'd like to propose a collaboration of sorts. It's an easy thing to do with no outlay on either of our sides. I'd like Steampunk Journal to become the blog for Brass Goggles. All you'd have to do is change the link to point to my site and in return, I would add regular posts regarding things we're posting about and encourage people to discuss it here. I could even add links to the bottom of each article we post.
If that's something you'd like to do, then let me know and we'll get things rolling  :)

Best regards
Matt (Moriarty)

This is a long, long and tortuous story. For details you might want to talk to Mr. Siliconous Skummins. It used to be that the blog was the entry page to the forum, but after years of having it as the entry port, we realised that many prospective users would be confused and actually not find the forum!! The blog used to be updated regularly, but I think that stopped when we made the forum index the default entry port. I'm not sure why the blog wasn't updated thereafter.

What I can tell you is that about 5 years ago (?) we had a debate on how much "external" presence Brassgoggles should have online. We discussed (and opened) an unoffical Faceplant Facebook page and two Twitter accounts (one official, one unofficial?), though the later platform is mostly used to notify users in the event of server catastrphic failure (we also have a backup forum called sparegoggles, BTW, for those times when we can't communicate with each other in the event of server/domain failure).

However we are an extremely conservative bunch; I was one of those who proposed having "external" outlets to what is basically a very closed conservative platform (this forum), but I forget what were the arguments against more activity elsewhere (though if you look at what has happened on Facebook with politics and scams and whatnot, I'm kind of glad that we never did that - we decied the old school format was best for our types of posts and our phylosphy regarding non-political posts).

Basically, the problem to keeping up with the blog is that it usually becomes a load on a single member, and since most of us have jobs and tend not to be of the millionaire variety, we become tired or just plain unable to keep up with the regular blogging/tweeting. As far as I know our FB page is frozen in time, and our Twitter account is active whenever it's needed...

proteus

The blog stopped being updated on any kind of regular basis because all the regular contributors moved on or got too busy. The front page was changed to the forum because visitor logs showed that most people who hit the blog page were only stopping for a few seconds to click the link to the Forum anyhow.
--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!