News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).

Started by James Harrison, April 28, 2019, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on September 07, 2019, 11:08:45 AM
Thought it was; I built one a few years ago. 

I seem to recall, you mentioned planning to use as a War memorial outside the station on RLS IIRC.

In other news, an impulse purchase has seen me making a foray into narrow gauge. But this isn't 009 gauge, oh no, by mistake, I bought an N-6.5 (or Nn3) kit (N gauge or 1:148 scale narrow gauge running on z gauge track).

But having now acquired some suitable track and controller I might build a small layout for it to run on.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering how exactly how small Z gauge is, here's the donor loco I used for the chassis next to a 10p coin for scale.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

:O  Slippery slope.  Narrow gauge beet narrow gauge; I'm looking into buying some more 009 stuff to go with the loco and wagons from Porthmadog a few years ago. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

The Bullet

G10 is finished.

Here after painting.

Speedo in place.
I hid the cable in a brass pipe that I used to imitate the brake rod.

Hinged part of roof closed.

...and open to see speedo.

I must admit I am not really interested in the speed but rather in the distance travelled on one running day.
Let´s see.

Next project:
A big storage system in a spare room in the basement as there is no space to put the two Wagons I just finished......
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

James Harrison

This is what I'm working on...

Bit of deja vu here as I had a go at an identical kit a few years ago.  Enthusiasm flagged, progress slowly ground to a halt and, frustratingly, I came to the conclusion it would never be looked at again (and was then discarded) about six months ago. 

So why did work grind to a halt?  Frustration, largely, at the amount of awkward photoetch needing looking at, most of the model was painted white and yellow- two colours notoriously difficult to get a good finish to, as I'm finding again, plus the subject itself doesn't really gel with anything else in my collection. 

So this time much of the photoetch will be ignored, except for the handrails- and for those I'm going to strengthen them up by using watercolour paper to suggest the canvas shrouds they would have supported are in place.  Then I'm using this as a test piece for a largely acrylic paint approach- which dries so much quicker than the enamels I was using on the last attempt- even if I need five or six coats to get a nice even finish I can get that done so much quicker and keep visible progress up; enthusiasm is easier to maintain if you can see a result for a few hours' work...

The Bullet

First kilometre done:

The part of the roof can be turned to fully closed position.

Madasasteamfish

Well, after an impulsive and expensive trip to show yesterday I have kits for another 2 ballast wagons, (bringing me that much closer to a full ballast train) along with a hand crane and match truck, which I may just put in a siding somewhere (when if I get round to building a 00 layout, or I may use as part of a permanent way train (4 and 6 wheeled pre grouping  coaches are eay enough to get hold of cheaply and could serve as mess/tool vans...)

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

The Bullet

Running session yesterday.
I took out all the four-wheelers I had built over the last 3 years.
(9 of them? How did that happen? Did I really build so many?)

The covered ones can be fitted with footrests and used as riding trucks.

Loco coupled up and off we go:

The gray G10 showed 3.7 km at the end of the running day.

Super Claud also ran.
The new clacks did not seal properly so we were a bit short of water all the time.
I will also check the smokebox for leaks as the blower did not have its usual power.
Positive side: the adjustment of the valve gear was successful.
We had not tested the loco since then.
Let´s hope the valves stay in place now....

James Harrison

Very very nice.  I spent part of yesterday working on Chih Yuen, and have gotten her roughly to the point where her sister was ultimately abandoned (one gun assembled, one mast assembled and the funnel erected).  Hopefully I can get past this point this time. 

The Bullet

BTW, at the start of this second thread we talked about a design challenge for the forum folks for membership pins. Did anything come of it?

Work done on Super Claud:
- re-aligned pipes to injector clacks
- cleaned axle pump internally
- installed new piezo buzzer under tender (low-water alarm)
- re-fixed petticoat (again!)
- cleaned blower nozzle

To Do:
- re-seal smokebox (minor leaks)

James Harrison

Quote from: The Bullet on September 25, 2019, 06:43:53 PM
BTW, at the start of this second thread we talked about a design challenge for the forum folks for membership pins. Did anything come of it?

We did, didn't we?  And it rather went quiet... if anybody wants a membership pin then we could design something between us; I'm open to suggestions. 

As usual on my own workbench, things have quietened down until the weekend- and even then there won't be much going on as it's time for the annual trip to Nottingham to see how we're getting on with the full-size trainset. 

The Bullet

I have sealed the smokebox of the Claud today.

Next thing is to design a new shelf system for all the wagons standing around in the cellar.
Major welding job but will be fun.
SWMBO has given permission for the build.

Banfili

Banfili

Quote from: James Harrison on September 26, 2019, 06:28:18 PM

As usual on my own workbench, things have quietened down until the weekend- and even then there won't be much going on as it's time for the annual trip to Nottingham to see how we're getting on with the full-size trainset. 

Remember, James, photos, or it didn't happen!

James Harrison

I regret to report an oops happened.  Fortunately it happened on payday... or, perhaps, because it was payday. 

http://www.gaugemaster.com/_upload/imgs/lrg/56202376/WH933-2904.jpg

Suitably Anglicised and GCR-ised this is going to become Rufford Red Lion Square station...

Banfili

The Bullet

Some progress this morning.

Super Claud has left the workshop with a freshly sealed smokebox.

I replaced the motor controller of the Luggagr Railcar.
During the system test I found that the lights inside the rear cab were not working.
Fixed that.

Not both are ready for operation again.

James Harrison

Progress!

She's really building up into quite an attractive little model. 

The Bullet

Space for new wagon shelf is empty.
Taken the dimensions.
There will be four levels. The top one will be reserved for tenders.
Each level will hold 5 units.
The rails will be dropping about 5mm toward the rear so gravits takes them to the rear and keeps them from falling out.

This will be quite a welding session:
I just ordered steel (square tube, 20 by 20 mm, 2mm thick)
20 bits of 2m length, 20 bits of 1.5m length and 40 bits of 1.1m length....
Did not imagine that it would be that much.

James Harrison

A big (for me) box arrived.  Nearly £60 worth of box.  Inside the valueless box is nearly £60 worth of plastic kit.  Now I just have to find somewhere to keep it. 

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on October 01, 2019, 06:21:28 PM
A big (for me) box arrived.  Nearly £60 worth of box.  Inside the valueless box is nearly £60 worth of plastic kit.  Now I just have to find somewhere to keep it. 

I know that feeling (given that I 'accidentality' spent £60 on kits and wheelsets at a show couple of weeks ago).

In other news, following a trip to the model shop, I have acquired a GWR 4 wheel coach kit for use in my PW train, and the basis of a project (which could well offend any and all German HO modellers) to convert the z gauge wagon I got with the donor loco and other bits....

The Bullet

Another big parcel is heading for me.  (Funny coincidence)

Square steel tube.
20 pieces of 2metres
20 pieces of 1.5 metres
40 pieces of 1.1 metres.

This will be the "kit" for the new wagon shelf.
Will take "a bit" of time to weld that together....

As the floor in that room is not straight (due to an ancient floor drain), the bottom layer will be difficult.
The area has been emtpied and roughly cleaned.

The Bullet

Just went to see a friend who makes the handrails for the Taigatrommel.
He has built many locos and even more boilers.
We wanted to chome-plate the handrails but this did not work properly.
They looked patchy.
his solution: he silver-plated them.
Looks good.
Can´t wait to mount them to the loco.