News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).

Started by James Harrison, April 28, 2019, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bullet

Would someone please take the horde of Gremlins back?

Running day has been plagued by gremlins.
First, hose clamp on P3.1 tender gave way, pumps drew air.... *curses*
New clamp.
Loco ran the whole day with steam pump and injector running but axle pump delivering less than expected.
Broken gland. Have to take the pump out to fix that.

Taigatrommel controller acted up. A blown transistor limited it to one powered bogie. Still plenty of power available though.
Had to take the batteries out to get to the controller situated in the belly tank.
Ordered a suitable replacement for the homebrew PWM controller.
4QD 300AMPS version. That should do it.....

Luggage railcar. Motor failure. armature winding fried.
Motors are €5 each, so no real damage. Two screws out, motor drops from the frames, new motor in, two screws, solder the two wires, finished.
But I decided to re-do the whole power wiring as it was installed only for a test and then never got sorted out.
So now the relays will have push-in sockets, the wires will be colour-coded and all the other things that need to be done properly.

I found another part-built model for the back shelf. Just had to buy it. Will not touch it until Taigatrommel and both railcars (armoured and luggage) are finished.

What do you think it is?

Hint:
Gab valve gear.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Banfili

I found a meccano-type aeroplane kit in one of the drawers in my office the other day - I might just put it together on the weekend when I have the time. It's for 8+, so I suppose I will be able to manage!! ;D

Sorry, Bullet, can't do anything about the gremlins!

The Bullet

Ready to take your guesses.

What will be inside the box of bits due to arrive in Mr. Bullet´s workshop?

Hints:

5" gauge
Gab valve gear

Synistor 303

I remember seeing a documentary on Gremlins a while back... Something about feeding them or giving them water was bad - it was a long time ago.  ;D

James Harrison

Quote from: The Bullet on June 03, 2019, 08:22:08 PM
Ready to take your guesses.

What will be inside the box of bits due to arrive in Mr. Bullet´s workshop?

Hints:

5" gauge
Gab valve gear

Something ancient- Locomotion or Rocket perhaps? 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

The Bullet

Good guess......but no.

Remember, there´s already a 3.5" Rainhill (LBSCs version of the rebuilt ROCKET) standing here.

Next hint: more than two axles.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: The Bullet on June 04, 2019, 08:25:06 PM
Good guess......but no.

Remember, there´s already a 3.5" Rainhill (LBSCs version of the rebuilt ROCKET) standing here.

Next hint: more than two axles.

Hmm, well that could cover a multitude of sins given the profusion of multiple axles across the ancient designs...

I think I'm going to need some time to think about this....
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Herr Döktor

Actually made a model kit, for a train layout! 'O' gauge Police box from Peco, lovely little kit, made the base a bit larger, and new sign boxes on the top, but other than that, straight out the box:

Mind you, I now need an 'O' gauge layout to put it on...

The Bullet

Nice work.

If it works you can put it on my 0-gauge layout (mostly tinplate).

Miranda.T

Quote from: James Harrison on May 31, 2019, 07:11:51 PM
Almost totally free weekend.  (Aside from somebody coming up tomorrow to try to fix the car).  Right, opportunity to crack on with HMS Temeraire. 

As in The Fighting Temeraire?

Yours,
Miranda.

James Harrison

Quote from: Herr Döktor on June 05, 2019, 12:57:45 PM
Actually made a model kit, for a train layout! 'O' gauge Police box from Peco, lovely little kit, made the base a bit larger, and new sign boxes on the top, but other than that, straight out the box:

Mind you, I now need an 'O' gauge layout to put it on...

Very, very nice!

Quote from: Miranda.T on June 05, 2019, 06:02:38 PM
Quote from: James Harrison on May 31, 2019, 07:11:51 PM
Almost totally free weekend.  (Aside from somebody coming up tomorrow to try to fix the car).  Right, opportunity to crack on with HMS Temeraire. 

As in The Fighting Temeraire?

Yours,
Miranda.

Not the one at Trafalgar.  The one that fought a century and a bit later. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

The Bullet

Madasasteamfish

Well after an evening's work, the Higgins boat is completely painted. Now I just need to apply the transfers and it's done.

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

More than two axles, and using an early form of valvegear. 

Hmmm, Columbine of 1845 or Cornwallof 1847?  Or something of broader gauge, perhaps?

The Bullet

The Bullet

Banfili

Madasasteamfish

With timing so close you'd think I'd planned it, the Higgins boat is complete...

James Harrison

James Harrison

Temeraire breaks cover.  Pre-WWI British battleships had a very dark, slate grey paint scheme.  I rather like this, what I have termed 'The Edwardian Look'. 

The Bullet

The Bullet

Baggage Railcar:
All gremlins have been annihilated. (nothing beats a Tesla coil!)
Wiring completely re-done.
Relay sockets that clip together to form a solid unit.
New wires of generous diameter.
Found some residual gremlins in the drivetrain.
Chain tensioner misaligned (was perfect last time), one chain off drive sprocket, loose screw in least accessible spot...
These too are no more.

Taigatrommel:
Removed homebrew controller and associated components.
Front battery needs to move 5mm to the right to make space available for the 4QD 300 AMP controller.
300 AMPS!!! MWAHAHAHA!!!!
Need to adapt the wiring "a bit".
Sound battery will move into the dummy tank to make space available in the engine room.

LBSC Titfield Thunderbolt:
Tracking says it will be delivered on Tuesday.
Until then, Taigatrommel must be out of the workshop.
Good to have a public holiday on Monday.
Long weekend, time for the workshop.

chironex

I must make my life more portable, so am getting rid of much of my 28mm games terrain; but am tired of trying to sell what looks like nothing but a bunch of odd shapes in MDF, which is what they look like when not completed. So here are some I have built:

No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

James Harrison

Nice work!

A rained-off picnic meant I was able to get some more done on Temeraire yesterday.  The Dreadnought kit surrendered its tripod mast, now I have to buld another from scratch, which is going to be a little interesting I think. I'm trying to puzzle out how I can get the identification bands around the funnels.  The first attempt was to mask off and paint, but I think the less said about that effort the better.  Current thinking is clean up the mess left by the first go and use paint pens. 

James Harrison

So now the question is, how do you scratchbuild a tripod mast?  I've got some plastic rod but I think the diameter is possibly too small.  Also, how detailed a model I want to build.  I have some nice, large (ish) scale drawings but the photographs are lacking.  So do I go for just what I know for certain, or do I follow the instructions for the donor kit for areas I'm none too sure about and end up with a hybrid?