News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Carnival Row

Started by chicar, June 24, 2019, 02:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicar

Don't Know If They Are Actual Sci-Fi Element Who Would Make It Steampunk But How Elaborate The Architecture Is In The Poster Tell Me They Are Chance:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y7p-Iw_dHI
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489974/
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Will Howard

alooks like a Victorian slum, a warehouse, & a building with columns that has seen better days, so maybe?
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

chicar

Ok, i admit my first look might have been biased. Its true the few we see go more toward gunpowder fantasy.
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''

chicar

Ok, Another Trailer Come Out Featuring Airship:

https://youtu.be/Ia5wdLrB26E

Kensington Locke

I've seen the first four episodes.

at the start, it looks more victorian with fantasy, but there's an elevated trolley car.  Later, we'll get to see airships and steampunked looking war stuff.

trying not to spoil the plot.  So I reckon it's steampunk, though not in the way of everybody's got something strapped onto them or all the weapons are funky as most of us dress up.

Thylacinus

Quote from: Kensington Locke on September 03, 2019, 12:59:53 PM

trying not to spoil the plot.  So I reckon it's steampunk, though not in the way of everybody's got something strapped onto them or all the weapons are funky as most of us dress up.

I agree. I am truly enjoying this show, especially since the steampunk-esque and urban fantasy elements are used to make the world and drive the story. They are never gratuitous.

Mercury Wells

I was just going post about this.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Kensington Locke

Quote from: Mercury Wells on September 21, 2019, 07:45:33 PM

There's not been any talk about this show.  I finished it a week or two ago.

I definitely expect in the next year to see fairy wings like the show's.

It's a simple design at rest, a bit of decorative fabric flap to cover the mount point, and it just hangs down like a cape.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Kensington Locke on September 22, 2019, 04:20:01 PM
Quote from: Mercury Wells on September 21, 2019, 07:45:33 PM

There's not been any talk about this show.  I finished it a week or two ago.

I definitely expect in the next year to see fairy wings like the show's.

It's a simple design at rest, a bit of decorative fabric flap to cover the mount point, and it just hangs down like a cape.

I meant about finding it on Amazon (prime).
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Argus Fairbrass

Given the mixed reviews, I went into this with fairly low expectations. After binge watching the whole series, I could not believe how good it was. It's certainly very adult orientated fantasy, a la Game of Thrones, which has set something of a trend I suspect. It looks fantastic, excellent costumes, props, general world building and design etc. The acting seemed perfectly proficient to me, despite the criticisms. I suspect it's getting bashed in certain quarters, purely because it obviously does have a certain inclusivity/diversity agenda, and is clearly making political statements. It's become quite fashionable to criticise that out of hand in certain Sci-Fi fandom circles unfortunately, but honestly I've seen it done way more clunkily than this (I'm looking at you Dr Who), and I thought it all came together rather well.

In short I hope it makes a second season. It's always difficult when things are exclusive to a streaming service. I personally think this needs to be televised ASAP, there's too many series being cancelled these days, without really being given a proper chance at a wider audience. I hope this isn't one of them, but if it is, at least it reached enough of a conclusion to stand on it's own. Highly recommended.
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Cora Courcelle

I felt that the first episode was like being hit over the head with the 'politically correct' mallet (yes Dr Who, we're all looking at you), but the world intrigued me so I carried on and am really glad I did as it settled into a place I want to return to for another season.
I want to know what happens next, to all of the characters, not just the main protagonists.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Melrose

I've watched the show so far, and loved it. A strong theme is class differences based on race; that merely reflects history. They've handled it with a little more imagination than some; for instance, one "ethnic" group has rallied around what you might call a cult or a trade union, depending on your taste. I didn't find it anything like the all-pervasive apology for practically everything we have seen in some series (and guess Who I am also looking at). I am happy to call it steampunk, with a touch of crossover. In short, I enjoy the series. 

Felscor

I'm late to the party, but I've just started watching carnival row. I particularly like that it is steampunk but in a backdrop and means to a story agenda, instead of "look, cogs!"; the aesthetic of steampunk shouldn't be the story, but the driver of story, which really shows its versatility in Carnival Row.

I really hope they continue the series over three or four seasons, but currently I'm ignorant of the prospects of that outcome.

Does anyone else know anything more about the show?
Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid