News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Moonlight Tower

Started by chicar, August 01, 2019, 12:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicar

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Anselmofanzero

Am I the only one who was hoping to see moonlightlaserturrets now??

Synistor 303

Quote from: Anselmofanzero on August 01, 2019, 11:54:12 AM
Am I the only one who was hoping to see moonlightlaserturrets now??

If only they shone with a true moonlight light and not a 'you can see every detail of the pitcher scratching his crotch' brilliance...

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: chicar on August 01, 2019, 12:54:39 AM
Must Be Very Eye Hurting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_tower

QuoteAustin, Texas, is the only city in the world known to still have moonlight towers. They are 165 feet (50 m) tall with foundations 15 feet (4.6 m) wide. The towers were manufactured in Indiana by Fort Wayne Electric Company and assembled on site.[1] In 1894, the City of Austin purchased 31 used towers from Detroit. A single tower cast light from six carbon arc lamps, illuminating a 1,500 feet (460 m) radius circle brightly enough to read a watch.[2

I knew I had seen one before. To be honest I only have seen one of them. They're simply not that visible amongst all the other lights at night.

I've seen one near the college area downtown, in a late 19th C area known as Hyde Park. As the name implies, it's and area around a city park with a very grungy vibe to it. Lots of hipster homes built in the 1940s, and some few Victorian Era homes in a densely wooded urban area.

The moon tower is very close to the park itself probably illuminating the golf course. It should be visible from anywhere in the Hyde Park neighborhood. But you'd never notice it at night with all the trees and lights from restaurants and bars in the area unless someone pointed at it. It'd be interesting to go to the university and ask students at random if they've ever seen a moon tower, or even know we have some in Austin.

madamemarigold

It brings back home to me that Tulsa OK was truly a "hick" town. No fancy lighting like this!  :P

J. Wilhelm

This necromanced topic is brought to you by the City of Austin!

Subject: historical "Moonlight Towers" or "Moontowers" and the Carbon Arc lamps which became popular through Europe and the United States in the 1880-1890s, and the few examples still extant in Austin (I believe they're the last in the World still in use, albeit with modern LED "bulbs" instead of arc bulbs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_tower

Felscor

Definitely an interesting concept, although I question just how effective they actually would be.

I love the idea of nightlife lit up by artificial moonlight alone, thereby being dark enough for night ambience, but bright enough to banish dark and dank shadows.

What they actually remind me of are stadium lights, if you've ever been near a stadium at night and notice you can still see everything despite a new moon in the sky.
Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid