News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Colt M1911

Started by chicar, March 17, 2020, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicar

Yup, This Kind Of Guns Is Actually A Steam Age Invention:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Deimos

I fired one of those when in the Navy (many moons ago).
Two handed, arms fully extended....after firing it the recoil was so powerful that my arms were bent at the elbow at 90 deg. and I never felt the change. They were straight out, then they were at 90 deg.
The instructor said he would pay anyone, even the biggest guy, $100 (almost $600 in today's $$) if he could keep his arms straight out after firing it.

No one collected that $100.  
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Prof Marvel

I myself am a great fan of the venerable Colt Model 1911. Of the cartridge pistols I am torn betwixt
the M1911 and the Colt M1873 aka "Single Action Army" aka "Model P"  aka "Peacemaker" - the proverbial "cowboy pistol".

The M1911 is actually an advancement of the original 1897 Browning design, the Colt M1900, designed in 1897 and first
manufactured right at the turn of the century . The Colt Model 1900 was a short-recoil operated "self-loading",
or semi-automatic . 38 caliber handgun.

For grace, style, and artistry I will take the M1873 :-)

Colt M1873

Colt M1900

For practicality I like the M1911
Colt M1911

regarding recoil, I admit it is stout, but manageable. The 1873 and 1911 recoil "about the same" using similar govt loads.
I find it quite comfortable for an entire day at the range.
at the very edge of comfort and practicality is the venerable .44 magnum  (useful for specific purposes)
beyond that are what we call the BMF pistols, which I find to be ... well ... crazy. maybe ok for T-Rex but ....
makes me run back to my Remington 1858 and Colt 1860 and Colt 1851 really quick:

Remington 1858 New Model Army aka M1863

Colt 1860 Army

Colt 1851 Navy

I really like the way the 1851 points, it is much like an extension of the hand. And an engraved version is a work of art:

yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Deimos

Do you own all those pistols you have discussed?  :o...

If you do I am sooooooo envious... :'(
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

RJBowman

Quote from: chicar on March 17, 2020, 12:04:42 AM
Yup, This Kind Of Guns Is Actually A Steam Age Invention:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

It won't become part of steampunk; too modern looking.

novice

All the models that preceded the M1911 here.
make each day count