News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Quantum Steampunk is now a thing

Started by J. Wilhelm, April 22, 2020, 07:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Wilhelm

Holy bovine !

Dear ladies and gentlemen. Apparently the theoretical physics community has warmed up to the idea of creating a field dubbed "Quantum Steampunk." As bizarre as that may sound, it is a moniker that's being used by theoretical physicist Nicole Yunger Halpern for the kind of physics that researchers need to study in the technical field of quantum computing.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-steampunk-19th-century-science-meets-technology-of-today/

Quantum Computing, some of you may know is a mash-up of quantum mechanics and information technology where the quantum mechanical properties of subatomic scale matter are employed to create a new type of computer capable of performing much faster computation. Specifically, the ability of particles to exist in two or more simultaneous states at the same time means that a logical gate unit can perform two or more simultaneous calculations. This ability multiplied by the number of logical gates needed to make a computer means that computations can be performed many orders of magnitude faster than before.

At issue, however is the fact that part of the fundamental behavior of quantum systems involves an inherent "fuzziness," an unavoidable statistical uncertainty about the exact state that, say, a logical output may have. In other words, the quantum computer is by nature not an exact deterministic system. Hence the quantum system is studied as a closed stochastic system or a collection of closed systems, and the venerable 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, that 19th century linchpin of the industrial revolution, needs to be invoked on order to make a prediction on the ultimate performance and reliability of the quantum computer.The quantum computer, even down to the quantum scales shares the same efficiency limitations you might see in a heat engine like a piston engine or a turbine, which in this case translates to an information processing accuracy limit determined by physical parameters, internal and external such as environment.

Any thoughts?

von Corax

I'm thrilled by the idea, but at the same time I'm not... :P
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Deimos

I guess those folks can call their quantum-y waves/particles/wavicles whatever they want  ::)... I mean it's not as if the word "steampunk" were copyrighted.

However (comma) if it ain't got gears, gauges, grommets and goggles (not to mention corsets, weskits, brass filigrees, copper tubes, springs, etc), it ain't really steampunk imo.  :P
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on April 22, 2020, 08:00:48 PM

I see what you did there  ;)

Schrödinger's Cat was, and is a Steampunk

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Deimos on April 22, 2020, 08:11:04 PM
I guess those folks can call their quantum-y waves/particles/wavicles whatever they want  ::)... I mean it's not as if the word "steampunk" were copyrighted.

However (comma) if it ain't got gears, gauges, grommets and goggles (not to mention corsets, weskits, brass filigrees, copper tubes, springs, etc), it ain't really steampunk imo.  :P

Appropriation? I don't know. It's not like I expect a horde of physicists donning Victorian garb and invading the Steampunk meetings. Although I did have a Thermodynamics professor at the University of Texas, Philip Schmidt, who loved to dress up as "Sadi Carnot" (he was just wearing a tux with a top hat  :P ), and give a 1.5 hour long undergraduate lecture with a very fake French accent (which admittedly was very annoying). But he was the closest I have seen to a Steampunk Physicist.

von Corax

Have you seen now much bright shiny brass the current crop of quantum processors has?
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on April 22, 2020, 09:19:32 PM
Have you seen now much bright shiny brass the current crop of quantum processors has?

Something like this?

https://twitter.com/andreasateth/status/1068586712828383233
QuoteAndreas Wallraff
@AndreasAtETH
At our Quantum Device Lab @qudev
@ETH_physics
@ETH_en
we are seeking applications for Postdoctoral Research Scientists in Superconducting Quantum Computing  to join our @OpenSuperQ
@QuantumFlagship
team constructing a European Quantum Computer. Apply here: https://apply.refline.ch/845721/6738/pu

J. Wilhelm

QuoteBobSutor
@snarky_android
·
May 2, 2018
The #IBMQ 50 qubit quantum computer model is back in NY for a few days and so I took a few quiet minutes for some photos

Is this Steampunk enough?

Banfili

I'm ok with it! Anything that shiny just has to be steampunk!

Hez

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on April 22, 2020, 09:17:55 PMAppropriation? I don't know. It's not like I expect a horde of physicists donning Victorian garb and invading the Steampunk meetings. Although I did have a Thermodynamics professor at the University of Texas, Philip Schmidt, who loved to dress up as "Sadi Carnot" (he was just wearing a tux with a top hat  :P ), and give a 1.5 hour long undergraduate lecture with a very fake French accent (which admittedly was very annoying). But he was the closest I have seen to a Steampunk Physicist.

Personally I would love to see "a horde of physicists donning Victorian garb and invading the Steampunk meetings" carrying jars full of brains and armed with holsters bearing abacuseses (abaci??) and fighting slide rule duels.

Deimos

Quote from: von Corax on April 22, 2020, 09:19:32 PM

OK...I stand corrected....that definitely qualifies as steampunk :o

Rockula

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on April 22, 2020, 09:01:04 PM
Quote from: von Corax on April 22, 2020, 08:00:48 PM

I see what you did there  ;)

Schrödinger's Cat was, and is a Steampunk

Schrödinger's Steampunk. I love it.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Kensington Locke

that pic of a quantum computer is closer to steampunk than an iPhone is.

So maybe that's the inspiration. Clearly at least one physicist working on the project is aware of Steampunk.

chicar

When i see the term: Steampunk on a mutiversal scale ?

When i see it be called a field: The study of hypothetical alternate technological evolution, the same way exobiology hypothetise about alien life ?

When i see what it was actually: Well, i guess that a nice metaphor.

The article head illustration is very cool thought.
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

rovingjack

when I see "Quantum Steampunk is now a thing ", my reflex is to say: 'Well it is... and it isn't.'

I guess I'll wave goodbye, or particle goodbye... maybe both.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Deimos

I'm not partic(le)ular about it, one way(ve) or the other   ;D

J. Wilhelm

By principle you guys should not be so uncertain

Banfili

Pun attack!!
I do love a good pun - keep it up, the worse the better!

J. Wilhelm

It's planck obvious to me that you missed this conversation.

cossoft

No. No. No.

Schrödinger was a monster.  He performed weird and cruel experiments on his cat. I've petitioned several cat charities to have his cat legally re-homed before it dies of nuclear radiation poisoning. Nobody wants it to turn into one of those creepy hairless cats.  Sheesh! I also want him banned from owning any other pets. That includes those glow-in-the-dark atomic goldfish. Does no-one care?

Synistor 303

But I loved the glow in the dark goldfish! I showed a picture to Big Red, Big Whitey and Fat Belly and they were most impressed... (But none of them got their 'glow' on.)

Prof Marvel

Quote from: cossoft on August 29, 2020, 05:50:13 PM
No. No. No.

Schrödinger was a monster.  He performed weird and cruel experiments on his cat. I've petitioned several cat charities to have his cat legally re-homed before it dies of nuclear radiation poisoning. Nobody wants it to turn into one of those creepy hairless cats.  Sheesh! I also want him banned from owning any other pets. That includes those glow-in-the-dark atomic goldfish. Does no-one care?

Oh My Good Cossoft -

To paraphrase the Angels - "Be Not Afraid!"

As My good friend and brother in brain, Albert Einstein once said
"It is a Gedunken Experiment! A Thought! It is non-corporeal and non-material! "

Thus You may be assured that no Cat was harmed in the making of this hypothesis....But thanks for the concern for our Feline relatives!

There is , however, from the Buddhist perspective, a  karmic Burden that he incurred for the thought of such as thing....
but that is a discussion for another topic :-)

yhs
prof (lost in thought)  marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Prof Marvel on August 30, 2020, 09:02:36 AM
Quote from: cossoft on August 29, 2020, 05:50:13 PM
No. No. No.

Schrödinger was a monster.  He performed weird and cruel experiments on his cat. I've petitioned several cat charities to have his cat legally re-homed before it dies of nuclear radiation poisoning. Nobody wants it to turn into one of those creepy hairless cats.  Sheesh! I also want him banned from owning any other pets. That includes those glow-in-the-dark atomic goldfish. Does no-one care?

Oh My Good Cossoft -

To paraphrase the Angels - "Be Not Afraid!"

As My good friend and brother in brain, Albert Einstein once said
"It is a Gedunken Experiment! A Thought! It is non-corporeal and non-material! "

Thus You may be assured that no Cat was harmed in the making of this hypothesis....But thanks for the concern for our Feline relatives!

There is , however, from the Buddhist perspective, a  karmic Burden that he incurred for the thought of such as thing....
but that is a discussion for another topic :-)

yhs
prof (lost in thought)  marvel

According to multiverse quantum theory, andffollowing folklore, a cat inhabits 9 parallel worlds.

Hez

and doesn't care what you think in any of them.

Deimos