News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Clockpunk has a blog

Started by Tinkergirl, March 10, 2007, 07:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkergirl

Well well, Clockpunk appears to have a blog and a BoingBoing link.  Well done to the budding blog and good luck in the future!

(Please don't let this turn into another discussion of genres with -punk suffix perhaps having another name to go under.  The page says it's on Clockpunk, and I'm quite happy to see them continue with it.)
:)

OHebel Wring

nice find!

this has a lot of good stuff...
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. "
-Sherlock Holmes

Emperor

Ah ha I saw that. Ther is clearly something in the air as I also saw this via Neatorama:

www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm

Can't be long before clockpunk fans emerge from the woodwork (pun really not intended).

While the .com version is taken woodencogs.co.uk is free ;)

One day there may be an X-punk network stretching out as far as the eye can see: petrolpulp.com, etc.

Hmmmmmm I have to renew some domains soon.... ;)
Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread

fmra

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese

kiskolou

OooOOooh! Clockpunk exists! An offshoot creating an offshoot...
"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!

fmra

The circle of life continues.
Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese

kiskolou

Does this mean that steampunk will hit the heights that cyberpunk did, then crash down into dust like cyberpunk? Tantilizing...

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Honky-Tonk Dragon

Quote from: kiskolou on March 11, 2007, 07:31:45 AM
Does this mean that steampunk will hit the heights that cyberpunk did, then crash down into dust like cyberpunk? Tantilizing...
Somehow I doubt it... the lifecycle of cyberpunk was much different, and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) got closely tied to 90's internet boom and the promise of full immersion VR. The bubble burst and I'm still waiting on my Ono Sendai VR deck...
Steampunk is tied to many things: fiction that spans 35 to almost 150 years, depending on who you ask; musical experiments; Victoriania in general; retro-technology fetishism; and DIY experimentation. (please don't be upset if I forgot something here) some of those influences may see a decline in interest, but I think Steampunk itself will be around in some form or another for sometime.
"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre

kiskolou

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/01/11/robot-controlled-by-thought/

We'll have our neuro-interfaces and hiro protagonists yet (read snowcrash?)!

Honky-Tonk Dragon

Does Hiro Nakamura from Heroes count? He's a Hiro, and a heroe, and protagonist... oh nevermind...
"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre

Emperor

Quote from: kiskolou on March 11, 2007, 06:58:09 AMOooOOooh! Clockpunk exists! An offshoot creating an offshoot...

Pasquale's Angel.
Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Andy_W

The Infernal Mr Adams

Quote from: Honky-Tonk Dragon on March 11, 2007, 07:42:06 AMI think Steampunk itself will be around in some form or another for sometime.

Very true Tick Tock and it already HAS been around for such a long time (Either the 1800s, the 1950s, the 1970s, or the 1980s....whichever specific item you consider Steampunk's birth). I really hope it IS around for a while, I love it so

:love:
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--

The Infernal Mr Adams

PS: How does one travel in space in Clockpunk, I wonder?
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--

Emperor

Quote from: The Infernal Mr Adams on March 12, 2007, 02:09:40 AMPS: How does one travel in space in Clockpunk, I wonder?

A lot of winding.  :o
Emps

kiskolou

Emperor

They are putting together a Clockpunk Anthology if anyone is interested.

The first one is up already in. "On Deep History."
Emps

Demosthenes

What exactly is clockpunk, if you don't mind me asking?
"I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House — with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
"Kerplach" = "Guv'nah!"

Emperor

Quote from: Demosthenes on March 25, 2007, 02:29:41 AMWhat exactly is clockpunk, if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all old chap ;)

It is basically pre-Steam speculative fiction set in the Renaissance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clockpunk

[edit: And not even that is 100% as Pasquale's Angel is about how da Vinci made the Industrial Revolution happen early so it still has steam technology.]
Emps

Lazaras

So in other words 'what would have happened had more people been like da'vinci' yes?
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

Emperor

Quote from: Lazaras on March 25, 2007, 03:15:45 AMSo in other words 'what would have happened had more people been like da'vinci' yes?

That kind of thing.

My main worry would be that people would get caught up in WCDVHD? (What Could Da Vinci Have Done?) and not focus on all the possibilities ;)
Emps

Emperor

And using this as a general clockpunk thread how about this Weird West graphic novel called Clockwork Creature - preview.
Emps

S.Sprocket

If anyone knows the blog author perhaps you should mention Castlevania Symphony of the Night,  that clearly belongs in his blog I think. :D
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah