News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Marquetry/inlay - ideas please

Started by Sir Henry, January 10, 2021, 08:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Henry

I've worked out a quick and easy way to do marquetry and inlay. It looks glorious and I'm sure if I can make things using the technique I should be able to make a bit of money for once.

The problem is, I have no idea what kind of thing people would pay money for.
It has to be small enough to post;
It can be just about any design, though using the large library of Celtic designs and Arabic geometric designs that I've built up over the years would make it easier still;
It can also be any colour, not just different colours of wood.

Anyone got an idea or two of what I could make to sell?

All ideas welcome, and many thanks in advance.

As an example, this is the bottom of a box I recently made (yes, I need a much better camera). It took about 4 hours to do (and 4 days to varnish):
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

SeVeNeVeS

The first thing that springs to mind is jewellery/ trinket boxes in various sizes, not too big, for a dressing table or mantel piece.

If you go into any head shop, ethnic store there's usually always a selection.

With all handmade items you will always be competing with cheap stuff from India/ china etc, so prices will have to be comparable methinks.

Sir Henry

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on January 11, 2021, 06:39:57 AM
The first thing that springs to mind is jewellery/ trinket boxes in various sizes, not too big, for a dressing table or mantel piece.

If you go into any head shop, ethnic store there's usually always a selection.

With all handmade items you will always be competing with cheap stuff from India/ china etc, so prices will have to be comparable methinks.
Yes, that's the major problem - how to add value so that I'm not competing with sweatshops (by paying myself sweatshop wages).
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

morozow

Stand for hot dishes. But the considerations that are given just above are even more justified.

In general, it looks like a puzzle. Maybe that's how you sell it? Puzzle, for collecting coasters for hot pans.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Synistor 303

Since you are in Britain, personally, I would look at something like a tray with a dog image on it. Nothing sells like pictures/artefacts of dogs. Do a few different breeds and you have created a product for a huge market.

Mercury Wells

My dear Sir Henry.

I think it would be wise for you to have a quick chat with Herr Doktor, with regards to artistic designs.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.