News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Aerial Kraken Defense Thread:

Started by c96plusMauserpuppy, January 14, 2021, 09:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c96plusMauserpuppy

Would genetically engineered fire breathing dragons be effective effective against them? I'm pretty sure a Maxim Pom-Pom would butcher one, too.

Hurricane Annie

This will be a fiery debate. Dependent on the size of the dragon. A large adult dragon could potentially take down a kraken in a fairly equal fight. It would pivot on if the dragon could avoid being entangled and smothered in a Kraken's powerful tentacles before it could  throw out a few flaming blows.

One of those Maxim pop-poms  could blow off a tentacle or 2. It would require a clear shot to a vulnerable hidden under belly to knock a Kraken out. A volley of shots would merely gave the effect of agitating and annoying the beast into becoming aggressive

Banfili

A mature, fire-breathing dragon could stand off out of reach and flame a tentacle or two off at a time, and then move in for the
coup-de-gras. A lot would depend on the flaming capabilities of the dragon, and it's breed. A Pernese dragon for example, would need a supply of firestone, and a rider to feed it. Tricky. However, a good supply of roasted kraken for dragon food would come in handy, so would probably be worth the risk and the effort!

c96plusMauserpuppy

For the Pom-Poms, a mixture of both armor piercing and high explosive shell would seem to be wisest. Tesla weaponry along with plasma and laser weaponry would work well against them, too.  But  Winchesters, revolvers, Mauser automatics, shotguns, and Lee-Enfields? Not effective is my guess.  Even a belt-fed  machinegun might not work, too. Plasma, Tesla, and laser small arms should work, too. 

Probably  biplane fighters would be useless.  Perhaps a Victorian version of a Nebelwerfer or Stalin Organ multiple rocket launcher might work.  Dragons aside, does the aerial kraken have any natural enemies? Or is is an APEX predator.

Tanks like the FT-17 should work and of course, the Mechs of Iron Harvest would be the aerial kraken's worst nightmare. 

von Corax

Quote from: c96plusMauserpuppy on January 16, 2021, 05:18:55 AM
Dragons aside, does the aerial kraken have any natural enemies? Or is is an APEX predator.
I believe the Greater Sky Whale will dine on Ærial Kraken when the opportunity presents, although its primary food source is the Common Air Krill:

Hummingbird Clearwing in Montgomery Co., Maryland (7/14/2020). (c) Wendy R Fredericks, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC). Photo by Wendy R. Fredericks. (MBP list)
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: von Corax on January 16, 2021, 07:06:24 AM
Quote from: c96plusMauserpuppy on January 16, 2021, 05:18:55 AM
Dragons aside, does the aerial kraken have any natural enemies? Or is is an APEX predator.
I believe the Greater Sky Whale will dine on Ærial Kraken when the opportunity presents, although its primary food source is the Common Air Krill:

Hummingbird Clearwing in Montgomery Co., Maryland (7/14/2020). (c) Wendy R Fredericks, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC). Photo by Wendy R. Fredericks. (MBP list)
Ah, The hummingbird hawk-moth? I was lucky enough to have a few in my garden a few years ago, quite rare these days where I live but great to watch.......... carry on.............. ;)

Back on topic.......

.I feel the   ~ Æthere BrÆther UK Kraken Defence Force ~   would consider one or two Dragons as an alternative to the slow moving mini airships we currently deploy in a crisis........ on trial mind, nothing set in stone untill proven under attack conditions.

Riders have to be trained, freshly hatched eggs, imprint rider with Dragon, could take some time.........

Cora Courcelle

However, before we get too carried away, may I point out that although the common giant air kraken (caelius lolligo gagantem) is fair game, its much rarer cousin the ringed air kraken (caelius lolligo aegaeo) is now an endangered species and there are heavy fines in place to prevent it becoming more so!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

SeVeNeVeS

I assure you, before we launch defence tactics, the Raven Corps reconnaissance footage is studied and reviewed . No ringed air kraken are ever harmed as far as the Force is aware.
The Raven Corps are our eyes in the sky.

rovingjack

I've heard the air nautilus and the Cuttle-o-nimbus, have produced hybrids. So watch out for those Nauti-Cuttles.  ;D
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on January 16, 2021, 04:11:23 PM
I assure you, before we launch defence tactics, the Raven Corps reconnaissance footage is studied and reviewed . No ringed air kraken are ever harmed as far as the Force is aware.
The Raven Corps are our eyes in the sky.

Thank you for this reassurance.
Vigilance must ever be our watchword.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Hez

Prior to the Medieval Dragon purges there were few Air Kraken attacks  because of the natural balance between the species due to young dragons feeding on kraken eggs.  You will note that there are few attacks reported over Eastern lands where dragons are still respected as the wise and ancient creatures they are.

This is exactly why I founded the Dragon Research Investigators Vibrant Ecosystem League, known as D.R.I.V.E.L.

We propose:
1) That experiments can be done to determine if heifers are acceptable to dragons in place of human, er, "inexperienced persons."
2) To attempt to hand rear dragons releasing them into kraken infested areas at their optimum egg eating age.
3) To respectfully and repeatedly request that Her Majesty remove that scoundrel George from his position as patron saint of England based on his deliberate attempt to render a noble species extinct.

Cora Courcelle

These are noble aims indeed my dear Hez.

In the unlikely event that you have any trouble hand rearing your infant dragons, can I recommend 'Diseases of the Dragon' by Lady Sybil Ramkin?  An excellent publication with so many handy tips - how to avoid unfortunate spontaneous combustions, whether to duck or run and where to buy the best fireproof clothes are just a few of the interesting and important subjects covered.

Banfili

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on January 17, 2021, 06:53:31 PM
These are noble aims indeed my dear Hez.

In the unlikely event that you have any trouble hand rearing your infant dragons, can I recommend 'Diseases of the Dragon' by Lady Sybil Rankin?  An excellent publication with so many handy tips - how to avoid unfortunate spontaneous combustions, whether to duck or run and where to buy the best fireproof clothes are just a few of the interesting and important subjects covered.

One of, if not the classic dragon rearing book - essential reading for every dragon owner!

c96plusMauserpuppy

Would genetically-engineered giant Rottweilers be an effective defense against aerial krakens raiding towns and settlements? Also, what poisons would be useful against the aerial kraken?  I'm thinking  a shell or rocket filled with cobra venom.

Mercury Wells

Depends on how tall those dogs are, I suspose. 1/2mile high puppies & adults who are 8 miles high?.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: c96plusMauserpuppy on January 18, 2021, 03:12:17 AM
Also, what poisons would be useful against the aerial kraken?  I'm thinking  a shell or rocket filled with cobra venom.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that a few years on you're going to be asking how you deal with an infestation of cobras.

(As opposed to it already being a load of old ... cobras).

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on January 18, 2021, 05:01:49 PM
Also, what poisons would be useful against the aerial kraken?  I'm thinking  a shell or rocket filled with cobra venom.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that a few years on you're going to be asking how you deal with an infestation of cobras.

You train baby Air Kraken to hunt the cobras.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

E.J.MonCrieff

Would genetically-engineered giant Rottweilers be an effective defense against aerial krakens raiding towns and settlements? Also, what poisons would be useful against the aerial kraken?  I'm thinking  a shell or rocket filled with cobra venom.

Seems to me that a GM Rottweiler of the kind you envisage would need an awful lot of dog food, and you couldn't rely on kraken flesh to feed them.  Perhaps barrage baloons?

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Mercury Wells on January 18, 2021, 07:37:39 PM
Quote from: Cora Courcelle on January 18, 2021, 05:01:49 PM

You train baby Air Kraken to hunt the cobras.

(My husband has just asked what I'm reading to make me laugh so much.  Well played sir, well played).

Synistor 303

Quote from: E.J.MonCrieff on January 18, 2021, 08:44:00 PM

Seems to me that a GM Rottweiler of the kind you envisage would need an awful lot of dog food, and you couldn't rely on kraken flesh to feed them.  Perhaps barrage baloons?

...And all I can think of is who picks up after the giant Rottweiler... (two normal sized Cocker Spaniels is bad enough.)

c96plusMauserpuppy

Because  Airships use hydrogen, I've ruled flamethrowers out as an anti-Kraken defense.  Other than dragons  and the aerial whale, what sky beasts prey on aerial krakens?  Could Pterosaurs hunt them? Other than barrage balloons and flak cannon, what aerial kraken ground defenses exist. Could Tesla coils work?

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Synistor 303 on January 19, 2021, 06:33:23 AM

...And all I can think of is who picks up after the giant Rottweiler...

A very keen gardener with an enormous wheelbarrow and an even larger compost heap?  (As long as they don't live anywhere near me!)

MWBailey

Quote from: Banfili on January 15, 2021, 08:11:02 AM
A mature, fire-breathing dragon could stand off out of reach and flame a tentacle or two off at a time, and then move in for the
coup-de-gras. A lot would depend on the flaming capabilities of the dragon, and it's breed. A Pernese dragon for example, would need a supply of firestone, and a rider to feed it. Tricky. However, a good supply of roasted kraken for dragon food would come in handy, so would probably be worth the risk and the effort!

But...

What is the average airspeed of a laden firedrake? *covers his ears to block the screaming*
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

von Corax

Quote from: MWBailey on January 19, 2021, 10:51:06 PM
What is the average airspeed of a laden firedrake? *covers his ears to block the screaming*
Pernese or Mordorian?
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Cora Courcelle

Hmmmm, that's a tricky one.  Pernese for the intelligence, adaptability and beauty,  Mordorian for the terror-inducing ruthlessness.
Perhaps some sort of hybrid?
(Definitely with no oriental traits or they would just want to drink tea and discuss the finer points of kraken symbology in ancient art).