News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Youtube videos not showing?

Started by SeVeNeVeS, February 17, 2021, 08:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeVeNeVeS

All of a sudden the Youtube videos already posted will not show and I can't seem to embed a new one.

Just me? any one else seeing and experiencing the same?

von Corax

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on February 17, 2021, 08:38:28 AM
All of a sudden the Youtube videos already posted will not show and I can't seem to embed a new one.

It isn't just you. I've tried both Firefox and Chromium. Here's hoping we eventually hear back from proteus on this whole administrator thing.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on February 17, 2021, 01:41:40 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on February 17, 2021, 08:38:28 AM

It isn't just you. I've tried both Firefox and Chromium. Here's hoping we eventually hear back from proteus on this whole administrator thing.
it

On mobile version of Mozilla, video links show normally. At least for this version I have on two smartphones, the embedded video has never shown, just a blank space indicating there is an embedded video there. That is normal for mobile Mozilla.

However if you can't embed in Windows or Linux PC, I do not know.

RJBowman

For me they haven't been showing for the last couple of years and that includes videos that used to display without any problem. I use Chrome on a Windows PC. I figured it was either a problem with the web server or an incompatibility in the browser.

von Corax

Quote from: RJBowman on February 18, 2021, 02:03:49 AM
For me they haven't been showing for the last couple of years and that includes videos that used to display without any problem. I use Chrome on a Windows PC. I figured it was either a problem with the web server or an incompatibility in the browser.
It's only been an issue for me for a few days.

SeVeNeVeS

Firefox windows 10

I noticed it about a week ago.

Hear, hear the sooner the better methinks as things are starting to break again.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on February 18, 2021, 08:08:05 AM
Firefox windows 10

I noticed it about a week ago.

Hear, hear the sooner the better methinks as things are starting to break again.

I'm inclined to say that it's that web browsers are changing standards, based on what I know about mobile versions - and Mr. Bowman's observation about Chrome. The only doubt comes because of the fact that Mozilla and Chromium show the same error for Mr. Corax, but it could still just be a sign of browser updates abandoning old script standards used by Simple Machines. I don't know. It's a 50-50% possibility that nothing can be done about it.

RJBowman

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 19, 2021, 05:51:51 AM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on February 18, 2021, 08:08:05 AM
I'm inclined to say that it's that web browsers are changing standards, based on what I know about mobile versions - and Mr. Bowman's observation about Chrome. The only doubt comes because of the fact that Mozilla and Chromium show the same error for Mr. Corax, but it could still just be a sign of browser updates abandoning old script standards used by Simple Machines. I don't know. It's a 50-50% possibility that nothing can be done about it.

The Mozilla and Chrome connection might be that they both use some of the same open source code.

von Corax

Quote from: RJBowman on February 19, 2021, 03:31:45 PM

The Mozilla and Chrome connection might be that they both use some of the same open source code.
Good point. Anyone having trouble with Edge or Safari?

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: von Corax on February 19, 2021, 03:56:23 PM
Quote from: RJBowman on February 19, 2021, 03:31:45 PM

Good point. Anyone having trouble with Edge or Safari?
I tried Edge on windows 10 and Safari on my mums ipad this morning, still no joy.

von Corax

I think I've figured it out. YouTube are forcing https, and our embedding plugin doesn't support https.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on February 21, 2021, 05:04:01 PM
I think I've figured it out. YouTube are forcing https, and our embedding plugin doesn't support https.

Well then. There's nothing we can do. The trick of embedding the video by deleting the "s" in "https" is gone.

We'll have to take a snapshot of the cover of the YouTube video, place it on an image server and post the image under the link.

Basically that's what I do for Twitter (Twitter is my image server) because Twitter posts with a YouTube video link unless clicked on, will not show the embedded video, but a link tag (until you click on the post). Sadly, many years ago I noticed that Twitter posts which automatically showed a picture on the time-line were 10 times more likely (using a counter) to bring customers to my shop compared to posts that only had a link and words. People don't like clicking links without a picture of where they're being directed. Whether or not Twitter will show an embedded picture or video, depends on an agreement between the host and Twitter, so certain platforms can freely embed pictures and videos and use space on Twitter servers, while others (eg Instagram, ) just don't.

SeVeNeVeS

I'm reviving this discussion as we have new Admin.

Is the forum able to show youtube video with some kind of patch or update? just asking if that is now possible. Thank you for maybe looking in to it.

As ever, grateful for all you do.

von Corax

Apparently we already have the most-current version of the Aeva plugin which does the embedding. Once we get the move over with and everything running smoothly, I plan to look at upgrading the forum software, which I hope will remedy this problem.

SeVeNeVeS