News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Japanese Coffee Kiosks

Started by J. Wilhelm, June 03, 2021, 02:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Wilhelm

I just found this Japanese man on Twitter, who built a couple of kiosks and a modified vending machines for coffee shops. I thought it was somewhat steamy, and a clever use of space. From the little I could understand, he got into building these kiosks because the pandemic precluded the use of normal coffee houses in Japan, and business owners moved to build kiosks and vending machines. Looks interesting. I'm wondering if the second storey is a storage space or a place to sleep when tired!

Maybe it's time to dream up a "micro-pub"?

From 亀山 裕昭 A. K. A. @latex_cult on Twitter

John Zybourne

I must apologize for necroposting, but I had to leave a comment. These are simply lovely. It's really telling that ubiquitous symbols of modernity like kiosks and vending machines can be made so much more pleasant simply by constructing them with traditional materials, yet we're still inundated with glass, plastic and concrete. 

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: John Zybourne on March 01, 2022, 07:06:02 AM
I must apologize for necroposting, but I had to leave a comment. These are simply lovely. It's really telling that ubiquitous symbols of modernity like kiosks and vending machines can be made so much more pleasant simply by constructing them with traditional materials, yet we're still inundated with glass, plastic and concrete. 

I like the idea of the micropub. With portable benches or tables for an instant beer garden. In these pandemic days, it makes sense to have a well ventilated venue. You do need good weather though. But for part of the year exterior booths can fill the gap needed by the food and drink industry.

MWBailey

Maybe relevant, might not be: There's an interesting development along similar lines in our small bedroom city (Jersey Village, yes, I know, kind of a sucky name) outside of Houston, Texas. Basically, it's a kind of laager
Spoiler: ShowHide
(SouthAfrican/Boer word for a bunch of wagons in a circle)
of food trucks in a repurposed used car lot, touted on the sign as an "Outdoor Food Court"; the idea being that patrons can choose from a variety of food vendors, and then eat in a more or less centralized area under a roof but without walls (AKA the roofed-over "Outdoor showroom" left over from the used car lot days).It seems to be operating under the seasonal plan, as similarly delineated in the Admiral's post. (sorry, no photo just yet).
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

John Zybourne

That sounds interesting, a roving caravan of food trucks that set up a little food market from time to time. I could see that being made up to have quite the steam aesthetic if one was willing...

Lazaras

oh my that's both functional and attractive. I quite like it.
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

madamemarigold

Oh these is lovely! About the 7th? Picture down (With all the port hole windows) looks very steampunk'ish to me~