News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Projects by A. E. Karnes

Started by mizzarrogh, June 16, 2021, 06:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzarrogh

For those of You guys who are not already familiar with that guy, if one are interested in old steamplants it is the right man to ask.

I forgot to post here before, but a few month ago i got a notification from he's channel about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Lutql7M3g

Since i am into model railwas my self it would be supercool to create a similar setup one day.

(i did run into technical problems with the motor i had laying around so could not make it work yet, and since my locomotives are in gauge 0 and no one of the live steamplants in my collection are this powerful (my biggest steamplant are only about 16mil. boring over 2 Bar, not a 6 Bar twin inch machine as they are using there.) i have to scale it down slightly.)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: mizzarrogh on June 16, 2021, 06:48:34 PM
For those of You guys who are not already familiar with that guy, if one are interested in old steamplants it is the right man to ask.

I forgot to post here before, but a few month ago i got a notification from he's channel about this:

Since i am into model railwas my self it would be supercool to create a similar setup one day.

(i did run into technical problems with the motor i had laying around so could not make it work yet, and since my locomotives are in gauge 0 and no one of the live steamplants in my collection are this powerful (my biggest steamplant are only about 16mil. boring over 2 Bar, not a 6 Bar twin inch machine as they are using there.) i have to scale it down slightly.)

These guys are ready to start their own power plant for their apartment block.

mizzarrogh

If i am not wrong it was him who actually did most of the restoration to working condition of the full scale maschines on the museum.
That's genuine respect from my side!  :)

John Zybourne

I don't mean to necropost but this might be the single most steampunk thing I've ever seen. Simply incredible.

mizzarrogh

Yes, it was him who did a lot of the full scale museum restorations, i seen some pictures of him working on machines that large he had to crawl into the cylinder...

This is a really cool experiment he did and i tried to replicate it with my 1930s 0 gauge Hornby locomotive and an old British car heater motor i had lying around and hooked it up a tinplate model stemplant (unfortunately i don't have any pictures since my old cellphone did not had a working camera).

However, it of course works with most old type analog modeltrains and i think a regular bicycle generator may be enough to at least make the motor turn on a Small locomotive if one want to demonstrate it to children for example or are just curious like me...  :)

I think it would do with an old radio as well if one use like a modern brushless motor as generator.
(We don't have those beautiful old signal motors, as he use in the experiment, anymore in my country but it has been on my wishlist for a long time...)

As he explain in the video it is quite simple; he made a breakout line from the stator magnet coil and hooked it up to a reostate (an old type variable resistor, but any potentiometer strong enough to handle the current will do) and also connected a few meters so you can see what goes on there and adjusting the reostate in order to synchronize the voltage output whan needed. This is actually a really good illustration of what goes on in a full size powerplant generator (like in an old water powerplant) of similar principle.